Jambands.ca

Holy sh!t! Damo Suzuki Canadian tour in a few weeks...

Blane

How did this slip under the radar?? This guy is incredible. Former lead singer of CAN, and now touring with a different band every night in his "musical network". It's a must see!

His page is here:

http://www.damosuzuki.de/

Here are the shows, with guests listed in some cases:

October 23 2005 Canada Calgary Broken City

with tba

October 20 2005 Canada Edmonton The Sidetrack Cafe

Damo Suzuki with Lane Arndt (Bass, Guitar, Laptop), Kris Burwash (Samples, Mixing Board), Ron DeJong (Drums, Percussion), Gavin Dunn (Guitar, Pedal Steel Guitar) and Nick Johnson (Guitar, Bass) plus DJs Mittens & Bob Crane

October 16 2005 Canada Toronto Lee´s Palace

1st Set 9pm: Damo Suzuki with the Mtrhom: Quinn (Bass), The Ambassador (Guitar) and The Gatekeeper (Drums)

2nd Set 10pm: Damo Suzuki with Brendon Canning (Bass), Darryl Neudorf (Keyboards, Sampling), Justin Peroff (Drums), Paul Sheppard (Guitar) and Charles Spearin (Guitar, Trumpet)

October 14 2005 Canada Ottawa Avant-Garde Bar

Damo Suzuki with tba

October 13 2005 Canada London

Damo Suzuki with tba

October 12 2005 Canada Waterloo Starlight

1st Set: Damo Suzuki with the Mtrhom: Quinn (Bass), The Ambassador (Guitar) and The Gatekeeper (Drums)

2nd Set : Damo Suzuki with I Have Eaten The City: Colin Fisher (Guitar, Sax), Nick Storing (Cello, Computer) and Brandon Valdivia (Drums)

3rd Set : Damo Suzuki with Brendon Canning (Bass), Dalls Good (Guitar), Darryl Neudorf (Keyboards, Sampling), Justin Peroff (Drums), Paul Sheppard (Guitar) and Charles Spearin (Guitar, Trumpet)

October 11 2005 Canada Hamilton Casbah

Damo Suzuki with tba

edit: note that some of these guys he's playing with are from Broken Social Scene, Do Make Say Think, The Sadies, 54-40, etc. Not just a bunch of garage band strummers.

Edited by Guest

I saw this listing and cannot believe this fucking line up:

Damo Suzuki with Brendon Canning (Bass), Dalls Good (Guitar), Darryl Neudorf (Keyboards, Sampling), Justin Peroff (Drums), Paul Sheppard (Guitar) and Charles Spearin (Guitar, Trumpet)

I've spent some time with Damo when he played a similar one off performance at Guelph Jazz with in this case another rare Ontario group the Excalceolators. It was an unbelievably good show and I can attest to the %100 improvised nature of the performances, they literally didn't plan out anything, if at all I saw Damo huddle with them for literally about 15 seconds before the show (they hardly met!) and worked out a squawky intro but that was really it. Since then Damo has worked with Sixtoo the formerly Halifax now Montreal based hip hop producer (and formerly MC and partner in crime with Stinkin' Rich now Buck 65 as the Sebutones).

Some will know his work with Can - essentially he does a sort of talk sing inuit/english/japanese/german tour de force. Has to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

well, isnt this a nice little thread to stumble upon...

saw a poster downtown yesterday and did a double-take... "David Suzuki with the Riderless at the Forest City Gallery on Thursday??? cant be..." - upon closer inspection, yep, it said Damo Suzuki. i wondered "who's that?" and decided i'd probably check it out because i dig the Riderless, they're good guys, and i like to support 'em when i can... now im a lot more intrigued, and i'll definitely check this out.

cheers.

Damo Suzuki w/ The Riderless (and others, i think)

Thursday October 13th

Forest City Gallery

London, Ontario

the poster might have said $5... it also might have said more... i cant remember.

edit to add: 2 questions: a) anyone at the show last night and how was it? B) anyone have any idea what his line-up might be like for london, or where i could find out? hmm, that might be 4 questions... but i only used 2 question marks! HAH!

Edited by Guest

October 12 2005 Canada Waterloo Starlight

1st Set: Damo Suzuki with the Mtrhom: Quinn (Bass), The Ambassador (Guitar) and The Gatekeeper (Drums)

2nd Set : Damo Suzuki with I Have Eaten The City: Colin Fisher (Guitar, Sax), Nick Storing (Cello, Computer) and Brandon Valdivia (Drums)

3rd Set : Damo Suzuki with Brendon Canning (Bass), Dalls Good (Guitar), Darryl Neudorf (Keyboards, Sampling), Justin Peroff (Drums), Paul Sheppard (Guitar) and Charles Spearin (Guitar, Trumpet)

Fuck, I wish I was in Waterloo tonight, what a lineup! And I went to highschool with Colin Fisher (Sing That Yell That Spell)

AD

???? you mean 15 at the door?

Can't find any official information on it, you might wanna try calling Avante-Garde directly at (613) 321-8908, but the information posted on PunkOttawa was $15 advance, $25 door. (That's even more expensive than my first post... )

ad