Jambands.ca

Tones of Home: The Best of Blind Melon

tribalstar

Well, I stopped by The Beat Goes on today to sift through the bins for some old cheapies. (good scores included 2 Jamiroquai disc for under $20) and as I was checking out I noticed the "Best of "album has finall hit stores. I'm sure if any of you have ever spoken to me or hung out with me at Maxwebsters you know that my favorite band is Blind Melon.

Well, I have to say I bought the album and am listening to it. unfortunaly they really haven't delved into anything I haven't heard before. The cd contains 19 tracks and only 3 are live prev. unreleases.

I mean of course I bought it for the pure fact that I will take anything to do with BM but I have to say I am little disappointed as this album had been hyped up to be a complete live/prev. unreleases album.

I find it also unpsetting that the song "Mother" has gained no publicity once again and although it is a demo song, Shannon sings it SOOOO well. By the way if anyone has any live shows of Blind Melon I am totally interested in getting my hands on that stuff.

Melon is one of the most underrated bande ever! I think it's beasue of the exteremes they went to from the self tittled album to soup even though thay are both great, you can hear the heroin in soup hehe. Nico was relased after shannon passed RIP but still a band that will remain close to heart. Has anyone heard anything about unified theory lately???

It's funny, I bought a copy of the first album (with no liner notes) from Cash Converters for $2 when I was younger. The only song I knew was No Rain and I listened to it a couple times before putting the album on the shelf. A couple years later a friend of mine was on a big BM kick and got me into that first record. I went back and listened to my copy and realized that No Rain was probably the tune I like least on it. I still skip it most times when listening. I remember getting my hands on a copy of Soup but not really getting it, figuring it was a shitty sophomore release, and gave it back to the person I borrowed from.

Then last year I heard the album again and couldn't believe it was the same album. Clearly my tastes have changed somewhat over the past few years, because I love it. It has been like new Blind Melon music for me, because I never really heard it. I think I probably like it better than the first one now.

tribalstar, I have 1995-09-29 First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN. I don't remember what the quality is like, I haven't listened in a while, but if you're interested, shoot me a PM. I assume you've also seen the DVD, there are some great interviews, both interesting and hilarious, and some great live footage. They also talk extensively about the recording of Soup with Andy Wallace in New Orleans.

P12566J44V5.jpg

p.s. check out the Allmusic review of Soup, it's cool.

Most '90s rock bands that enjoyed massive breakthrough success with their debut album seemed to follow it up with an effort similarly styled to its predecessor, hence guaranteeing repeat success. This proved not to be the case with Blind Melon. It appeared as though the band rejected the jovial spirit of "No Rain" and focused on much darker material for their follow-up, Soup. While it did not match the commercial success of the debut, Soup proved to be a challenging, gripping record that is just as strong and perhaps even more rewarding. Shannon Hoon was in the throes of drug addiction (which would prove fatal only two months after the album's release), and his experience at a drug detox is clearly detailed in the Zep-groover, "2x4." Hoon's lyrics often examine his growing sense of mortality, as evidenced in "The Duke," "St. Andrew's Fall," and "Car Seat," while "New Life" shows Hoon hoping that the birth of his baby daughter will put his life back on track. The country-tinged "Skinned" is written from the standpoint of notorious killer, Ed Gein, the anthemic rocker, "Galaxie," appears to deal with a troubled relationship, and "Vernie" is a tribute to his grandmother. Some of the tracks prove hopeful ("Walk"), while others are steeped in despair ("Toes Across the Floor," "Wilt"). Soup deserved to be another big hit, but due to MTV and radio's abrupt abandonment of the band, harsh reviews from close-minded critics, and worst of all, Hoon's untimely death mid-tour, all hopes of the album receiving the attention it deserved were extinguished. Soup is one of the most underrated and overlooked great rock albums of the '90s.