Jambands.ca

Help with buying a laptop

phunkyb

So I plan on buying a laptop within the next month.

My price range is $1,500 to $1,900.

Here are the specs I would like.

Any suggestions?

I was told Toshiba, Sony and HP were good brands and to not buy an acer or Dell.

Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

pentium 4 2.7 GHz or Pentium M/Centrino 1.6 GHZ processor

512 MB RAM (minimum)

60-80 GB Hard Drive

CD-RW/DVD +/-

Wired and wireless LAN for internet connectivity

Headphone port

MIcrophone port

Minimun 2 USB ports

Minimum 16-bit sound

Windows XP operating system

range from $1,500 to $1,900 prior to taxes

Anywhere in Hamilton or Toronto I Should be looking?

Online works too.

I agree with Toshiba and Sony (though you get less bang for the buck with Sony). IBM is apparently good too, but pricey. Not too familiar with the HP line. Stay clear of Acer and Dell, especially Acer.

I saw a good deal on the Toshiba Tecra series today. 1,200 bucks for a T3.

here are some good prices to get started:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=17

i just bought a new laptop that has everything you said minus the pentium processor, for 900$. it has an AMD sempron processor (1.8ghz i think?).

it's a compaq presario v2305. check out at bestbuy.ca. i can't comment on how great it is yet because i literally just got it and haven't set it up yet. it looks cool though ;)

:)

I really like my Dell Inspiron

I went to Dell.ca and built it with the specs that I wanted and it was shipped to me that week. If you can't pay for it outright then they also have financing plans(be careful of the interest rate though, as with anything you buy).

Macs are awesome but very pricey, and are not in your range unless you buy used.

There is free shipping on Dell Inspiron 6000 right now, price tag advertised is $1299.

Good luck with your purchase!

I support these beasts for a living. I would steer away from the Toshiba's (don't last long), Sony (to expensive)and Dell (too cheap/bad vendor support).

The Compaq/HP and IBM seem to be the most reliable. I would get (another) IBM ThinkPad if I were getting one for myself since I've never seen one die unless abused (coffee, chicken soup, sat upon, etc). Occasionaly the hard-drives go bad but that can happen with any vendor. There is a wide selection of IBM TPs in your price range here: http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10000124&catalogId=-124&langId=124&categoryId=2035724

One more comment. Beware of laptop batteries. They work great for a year (maybe 2 if luck) but eventually you will find you have 10 minutes of battery life. Replacement batteries are very expensive ($200-$300). All vendors use the same Li-ion technology and they all have the same issues after a while.