Jambands.ca

2005 / 2006 Hockey League

badams

Large amount of prizes??? Do you mean 2 discs or did I miss something?? I am still debating this whole scenario, whether or not to get rid of the few producing players I have; I wasn't going to, mostly because I felt the same as Dave-O. I'm sort of waiting to see what other people do here.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen Palffy or Lemieux getting traded from the Pens in the foreseeable future? What about Andreychuk? Was Tampa able to dump him to Washington so they could bolster their team?

In this league of stoned hippies, its called 'common sense' so its easy to see why Roller is confused. You cant have pages and pages of rules here. We are but mere fantasy-wannabe's.

I could see dropping the player and picking one up via waivers, but that is it.

Guest Low Roller

Well the overall loser gets almost as many CDs as the person in first place, so I think it just spices up the pool to have two seperate races: for first place and last place.

I think the issue is that people are afraid that their spot may be in jeopardy if teams start bulking up with talent dumped by teams racing for least points. If they were smart they would jump on it and try to cement their lead by picking up a strong player from a weak team.

Within the rules of the hockey pool we are allowed 3 trades with a team within the division... I don't see why that rule can't be used as an advantage.

I guess the real problem is that I'm a competitive asshole, and I'm pissed off because I already used my three waiver picks, and due to a debatable non-rule I'm stuck with Palffy. ;)

No, the issue is trading players that are no longer in the league. This is why we have a commish overseeing these type of moves. I'm in a number of pools that have a moderator watching and a few were negated because they were obvious 'dumps' and that is the way it should be. It's not competitive nor strategic when these things happen.

"Hey man, take these three top scorers and give me your worst three. If you win, I get 1/4 the prizes. If I end up in last place, you get a quarter of my winnings."

Strategy?

None.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

Well we are using a database. It's called Officepools.com.

They still list Palffy, and I bet if you tried to trade him, the software would let you.

I see what your argument is. It DEFIES LOGIC to trade a player that is retired. Fine, I agree with that. However we are playing a stats based game, not running an NHL hockey team. That's where I'm coming from.

I got Palffy. Even if he came out of retirement and lit the league on fire, I'd never catch Booche or the overall lead. So fucking what. I'm looking forward to giving out some really cool concert CD's that will hopefully turn people on to new (to them) and/or exciting music.

Look, if this is a question of ethics, I will trade all my top players right now to Blane (2nd highest guy in our division) for his worst players and we will see how this plays out.

Thanks booche! PM me the details and I'll have Guerin on your doorstep in no time!

Guest Low Roller
Look, if this is a question of ethics, I will trade all my top players right now to Blane (2nd highest guy in our division) for his worst players and we will see how this plays out.

You missed the point. Completely.

Maybe it's my english. I iz nut so gut at unglish.

I'm not saying trade all your best players if you're at the top of the division. That would be nutty. If you're at the top you should dump Boyle to try and help you catch up with Caspien. Meanwhile there may be someone near the bottom of your division that *might* want to stay at the bottom to cllect the prizes. Of course it's a little dirty, and it's like sabotaging your team on purpose, but that's the reality of this league based on the rules we set at the beginning of the season.

If you want to stick to your guns and see your picks all the way through (that whole integrity issue that Dave-O brought up), that's fine too, however in that case I don't feel you are using the rules of this league to it's full advantage.

What the hell am I talking about. It's 6:00am and I'm fucking tired and don't want to go to work. Why isn't it the week-end yet? Screw it. Palffy is welcome to stay on my team. I will even retire his number to honour the great contribution he has made to my team.

Im just curious but why is it when you dump players to waivers you have to be within 10 points of the new player you pick up BUT when you trade to people in your division you don't have to. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Anyway, I don't think you should be able to trade for the sake of losing either BUT it should have been stated in the rules from the beginning. I say we should do this the democratic way and put it to a vote.

Looks like this could be a tight race for first.

Naslund & Koivu, pick up the slack guys!!!! And when the hell is Bryan McCabe gonna be off the freakin injured list, it seems like every week Quinn says he may be back in a few games.

I have no ethics in regards to fantasy hockey pools with a bunch of hippies, I just want to see caspian lose. (I still don't know how the hell you let him get that team)

Who wants Tanguay, he's heating up!!

Lang, Iginla?? solid forwards!!

Berard, Blake?? solid d-men!!

Don't be scared to trade because of the whiners at the top of the division.

Im just curious but why is it when you dump players to waivers you have to be within 10 points of the new player you pick up BUT when you trade to people in your division you don't have to. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Anyway, I don't think you should be able to trade for the sake of losing either BUT it should have been stated in the rules from the beginning. I say we should do this the democratic way and put it to a vote.

Naslund & Koivu, pick up the slack guys!!!! And when the hell is Bryan McCabe gonna be off the freakin injured list, it seems like every week Quinn says he may be back in a few games.

I agree with you Caspien. It was just an oversite during the time we were making the rules. Neither myself or anyone else caught it. Because of that I decided to allow trades as long as the players are both active and did not apply the 10 point rule. So no trades for retired or season ending injured players.

There are many rules I would have liked to tweak but in fair play have not suggested it. It;s not perfect but I think still enjoyable.

We are trying to have a fun pool but at the same time keep it competitive. We can learn from the glitches this year and iron them out for next year.

Somethings I would like:

-Have the 10 Point system for both waivers and trades.

-Have the rules state - No trading Retired or Season injured players to avoid this situation again.

-More waiver pickups. Many teams went through them so fast.

or

-Every team draft an additionsl 3 to 5 players and use that as their own personal injured reserve.

Just a few ideas and i'm sure many people will have more. We can hammer it out over the off season. As for now lets just keep the course as it is.

Anyway' date=' I don't think you should be able to trade for the sake of losing either BUT it should have been stated in the rules from the beginning. I say we should do this the democratic way and put it to a vote.

Naslund & Koivu, pick up the slack guys!!!! And when the hell is Bryan McCabe gonna be off the freakin injured list, it seems like every week Quinn says he may be back in a few games. [/quote']

I agree with you Caspien. It was just an oversite during the time we were making the rules. Neither myself or anyone else caught it. Because of that I decided to allow trades as long as the players are both active and did not apply the 10 point rule. So no trades for retired or season ending injured players.

There are many rules I would have liked to tweak but in fair play have not suggested it. It;s not perfect but I think still enjoyable.

We are trying to have a fun pool but at the same time keep it competitive. We can learn from the glitches this year and iron them out for next year.

Somethings I would like:

-Have the 10 Point system for both waivers and trades.

-Have the rules state - No trading Retired or Season injured players to avoid this situation again.

-More waiver pickups. Many teams went through them so fast.

or

-Every team draft an additionsl 3 to 5 players and use that as their own personal injured reserve.

Just a few ideas and i'm sure many people will have more. We can hammer it out over the off season. As for now lets just keep the course as it is.

I think thats a fair trade off, your allowed to firesale but not retired or injured. Fair enough.

Now down to business who in my division wants Saku Koivu he's got some pretty sucky stats only 36 points.

I have no ethics in regards to fantasy hockey pools with a bunch of hippies, I just want to see caspian lose. (I still don't know how the hell you let him get that team)

Who wants Tanguay, he's heating up!!

Lang, Iginla?? solid forwards!!

Berard, Blake?? solid d-men!!

Don't be scared to trade because of the whiners at the top of the division.

I'll trade you Brendan Morrison for Tanguay

The crux here is, you have to convince The Commish that it's a fair trade to improve BOTH teams, not one guy benefiting from another guy throwing in the towel.

We shouldn't have to say "No trading Retired or Season injured players". In theory I should be able to obtain a retired player (because maybe I have an extra waiver pick I can use) AS LONG AS there's some balance in what's being exchanged.

Comprendez?