Jambands.ca

Orbit Guests...

can-o-phish

Wow, still shaking the cobwebs outta my head today as I had maybe a few pints too many last night :P It was great to see Velvet again as well as Phorbesie who I met recently and cool to meet TimmyB. Relatively small crowd but that's the norm for holiday Mondays and the Sisters love playing to an attentive crowd and last night was no different...Galveston was stunning and the combo of Creature Comforts segueing into Mingus's Slop was juicy...

In attendance was none other than Bruce Cockburn who I met at the end of the evening and praying I didn't put one or two feet in my mouth... ;)

Still lovin' Mondays :o

What the Hell Is In Your Ear?

bruce.JPG

Kevin & Bruce

kevinandbruce.JPG

Thanks to Richard Sugarman who's taken more freakin' photos of The Sisters/Folk Alarm/Kevin than is imaginable...maybe more of a fan than I am if that's possible ;):o

What a night! First and foremost Sir Paul McCartney at the ACC. Secondly, before the gig was some great thanksgiving dinner at my parents place. Thirdly, the Yankees get kicked out of the playoffs again! Fourthly, Kevin Breit and the Sisters Euclid at the Orbit Room and finally I meet Bruce Cockburn for the second time, first time at the Orbit Room!

It was also great to finally meet you can'o'phish and thanks again for the recent Folk Alarm show you gave me.

It was nice to also meet Phorbesie for the first time and if I didn't say it last night I too liked the bartender.

Finally it is always a pleasure to be in the presence of Velvet. And thanks for the words of encouragement on how I'm going to save tons of money not having to pay for my ex-girlfriend to go to concerts with me anymore. You're very much right about that fact.

Also I will say here how I talked to the great Bruce Cockburn, before Velvet and/or Phorbesie post it here. I saw Bruce from his back walking into the washroom and I turned to Velvet and said that was Bruce Cockburn. Velvet said he couldn't see his face, but that he trusts that I was right.

So I then get up and pass the band to wait in the hall of Orbit Room pretend to look interested in the pictures on the wall, so when Bruce gets out of the washroom, before he gets back to watching the Sisters Euclid I could just briefly say hello and get his autograph.

I wait for a bit and when I see that after Bruce washed his hands and was drying them on one of those hands free dryers (Just so everybody knows Bruce does wash his hands, which to me is very important) so I go in and say hi.

I tell Bruce how he is one of the most inspirational musicians I have ever heard in my life. Also how when I go to see Cream in New York City in a couple of Mondays that since my friend and I were flying in on the Saturday before we noticed that he (Cockburn) was playing that day in New York City.

Bruce said that sounded right and said thank you to the previous compliment. He then signed my memo pad "All the best!" and his name.

Again it was great night and I look forward to seeing Kevin Breit again after my next Monday night show which I believe is on Halloween after Ratdog. I wonder if I'll be able to get in that night? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Tim

Again it was great night and I look forward to seeing Kevin Breit again after my next Monday night show which I believe is on Halloween after Ratdog. I wonder if I'll be able to get in that night? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Tim

Don't worry Tim, I'll make sure that your name will be on the list at the door. My apologies to Velvet & Phorbesie for letting the guest list slip...oops, sorry kids, next time I'll have yer backs ;)

Hey Deeps,

Fun isn't the word. As I said I have briefly met Bruce Cockburn once before (in Ottawa in 1997) and I have have seen him several times on the streets of Toronto when I lived in the city from 1998-1999. Yet I never got his autograph until yesterday.

In my eyes Cockburn is Canada's greatest hidden treasure! Unlike Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and the Band, who are all household names, Bruce is only known by those in the know.

Cockburns lyrics and music have gotten me through hard times and good times. And his songs are so prophetic that to me he is a modern day prophet. So spiritual and so true are his words that he should be honoured by all who come to know him and his music.

Tim

Hey Deeps,

Fun isn't the word. As I said I have briefly met Bruce Cockburn once before (in Ottawa in 1997) and I have have seen him several times on the streets of Toronto when I lived in the city from 1998-1999. Yet I never got his autograph until yesterday.

In my eyes Cockburn is Canada's greatest hidden treasure! Unlike Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and the Band, who are all household names, Bruce is only known by those in the know.

Cockburns lyrics and music have gotten me through hard times and good times. And his songs are so prophetic that to me he is a modern day prophet. So spiritual and so true are his words that he should be honoured by all who come to know him and his music.

Tim

Yeah ... I was trying to be cool by saying "fun".

I got to ask hima question @ an interview he did @ the North by North East festival this past summer.

It was pretty nerve racking and exciting to hear him speak on something I had brought up.

An awesome presence and a beautiful musician.

front row @ the River Run Center last year with my guitar player and his (guitar player's) Dad was one of my favourite music experiences of all time.

Deeps

I said that heard that a Toronto radio station was marketing their station as "A standard radio station". I asked as someone who doesn't make standard music, it feel discouraged and I find the state of Canadian Radio pretty hopeless for a young band.

Is the radio something I should be vying for or is it in fact closed to people without large companies backing them and standard aspirations?

Hey can'o'phish,

I just got through the Folk Alarm album you gave me and it's great.

I was surprised to hear Kurt Swinghammer at the end of it. I've been a fan of Swinghammer for quite a few years now and it was nice to find that on the second disc.

Thanks,

Tim

Sorry, in my alcoholic-daze last night I forgot to mention Kurt's opening set on Disc 2 which has some great stuff. Incredible singer/songwriter and really like "Kensington" and "Pale Green Glow"...

Also kind of a Bruce Cockburn twist as Kurt talks about playing "Kensington" that mentions Bruce in the song and Bruce was in the audience when he played it a few weeks back and I pass this on to you the night Bruce hits the Orbit to take in some Sisters...love those koinky-dinks :P

Tim's got a great sense of smell.

It's true, I often feel that my senses are heightened to the level of super hero's in comics. I am very blessed that way.

Except maybe for my hearing, too many loud shows over the years.

But then again, it could just be that I am stone cold sober when I'm at a show?

Tim

deeps...

"I said that heard that a Toronto radio station was marketing their station as "A standard radio station". I asked as someone who doesn't make standard music, it feel discouraged and I find the state of Canadian Radio pretty hopeless for a young band.

Is the radio something I should be vying for or is it in fact closed to people without large companies backing them and standard aspirations? "

too bad you didn't do your homework and find out that Standard is a company just like Rogers, Corus, or CHUM. it wasn't a marketing ploy.

and as far as radio's concerned you should try for campus radio. it's expensive to send press demos out to every campus/community station, but the press and coverage is what it's all about.

also, if you get yourself overseas to community radio you could hook up a tour...but think locally first.