Jambands.ca

Addison Groove Project better than the Slip?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller
maybe this is another example of where the question should have been...

You're in a city where both The Slip and AGP are playing the same time on the same night in a similar venue and both won't cost you anything. You can only choose one. The year is 2005. Which do you choose.

The Slip - Turn to page 35.

AGP - Turn to page 127.

I used to love those types of books. And I like the way you worded the question. You are clearly the balanced Bouchard brother.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go see The Slip because they have great songs. Secondarily, they are excellent and imaginative players.

If I wanted to see another generic soul-less funk band that I'll forget as soon as they leave the stage then I'll go see AGP and stand outside and smoke pot, waiting for the mind-numbing nonsense inside to end.

That's pretty much how I feel (but I've only seen AGP twice).

guess thats why our 'scene' is suffering....

many of you are forgetting some people just like to have fun (outside of us specifically)....

problem i see from seven years ago to todays best bands....the general masses could enjoy what was being played .... not so much anymore today.

most of my friends, WHO LIKE JAMBANDS, dont like the slip....i understand that takes nothing away from the band....but it helps understand why the scene is dying a slow death (until it turns around, like so many things do)

It's just that The Slip have real depth and soul, they aren't concerned about being "cool" but neither are they afraid to push their own boundaries. They can weave a thread through an entire performance while still perofrming in a contradictory manner throughout. They are concerned with philosophies of the heart and soul and their music is geared towards bringing these philosophies up and out for absorption. They are about organic smelly dankitydank and hairy toes steeped deep in the dirt. In a lot of ways you could say they are like Phil Lesh.

Addison Groove Project on the other hand seem a little more user-friendly, accessible. They want to just get your ass shaking and get groovy for a night, not too much to think about. Sure, they have pedigree and talent but they are not so much concerned with the meta-physical alternate realities of the Universe so much as they are concerned with getting you all sweaty and making a living at doing it and maybe boinking your girlfriend after the show. They're like a night of cheap martinis and too much cocaine. They remind me a lot of Bob Weir.

=

which must be why i like Bob Weir more than Phil Lesh, and why i like AGP more than the Slip.

I like user friendly. I like accessible. I dont need to see a band performing in a contradictory manner throughout. I've seen the most talented musicians of our time, and they are still pushing boundaries, without being concerned with philosophies of the heart.

Ask Chic Corea what he thinks of that, as he funks the shit outta the crowd with his Elektric Band....a crowd full of 60 year olds, UP AND DANCING!

that my friend triggers more of my emotions than a band that tends to confuse people for the fun of it.

Instead of being analyzed, sometimes music is simply meant to shake your booty.

which must be why i like Bob Weir more than Phil Lesh, and why i like AGP more than the Slip.

I like user friendly. I like accessible. I dont need to see a band performing in a contradictory manner throughout. I've seen the most talented musicians of our time, and they are still pushing boundaries, without being concerned with philosophies of the heart.

Ask Chic Corea what he thinks of that, as he funks the shit outta the crowd with his Elektric Band....a crowd full of 60 year olds, UP AND DANCING!

that my friend triggers more of my emotions than a band that tends to confuse people for the fun of it.

I agree with you. I like both approaches and will say to my dying day that simple music is preferable to complex music, and the best kind of music is that which you can dance to.

However I'm not going to let such honesty get in the way of hopefully causing Hux-a-licious a complete nervous breakdown.

And I really will vote NDP next election. Go Jack!

For the record, I dig both bands & for different reasons.

Although, I've never quite understood the whole "they [The Slip] play with soul" theory making them somthing above the rest, James Brown played with "soul", hell, he was the godfather of it, but you certianly didn't have to look or feel compelled to look to deep into alot of his music

:cue Secondtubes comment:

:thumbup:

Liking The Slip in the jamband scene is like having street-cred. It's cool to like The Slip.

I could not agree more. Granted, this obviously does not apply to all (or even the majority, I'm sure) Slip fans, but this has been a bit of a Slip-related turn-off for me. I lived out East for the better part of five years, and there are many East Coasters who, after havig seen them at a couple of Evolves, talk about The Slip like they're the only band in the universe, and that any festival not involving them is "a waste of my fifty bucks." Liking The Slip definitely a case of being a "scenster" for a lot of people, and it has repelled me to a certain extent (despite the fact that I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed them a couple of times, and plan on seeing them again).