Jambands.ca

Recommendations please: Relaxing non-distracting music

StoneMtn

I am not in the habit of coming on the Skanc and telling about my personal moods. That said, due to many unrelated occurrences, today is unbelievably stressful and I could use some help here before I go nuts.

I need to get considerable work done today, but I need some tunes to keep me sane. I'd like to stream something really relaxing, but something that won't distract me. I need something without vocals, quiet, and really calming.

Can someone recommend such an album that I could find and stream on id1git.com, before I go insane? The reason I'm seeking a recommendation is that I'd like something I'm not already familiar with, so I won't be as distracted. Any thoughts?

Aaaaaaah....

Well, I've got a different Keith Jarrett album going right now, but already helping.

CyberHippie, Dr. Didg'll be next.

(Thanks for the Anal Cunt recommendation MarcO. It was a unique suggestion, which of course I had to check out first. lol I actually could only find them on a death-metalcore compilation, and their song wouldn't actually stream, but I got the gist of their sound from the other bands on there. I might save their album for AFTER I lose it and decide to go postal. It should be the perfect soundtrack.)

ummmm i would go for (as silly as this sounds) the cranberries "no need to argue" album. you'll want to skip over zombie and maybe odd to my family b/c a) zombie is not really the relaxing type unless you need to do some cathartic yelling, and B) ode to my family was also a hit, so you may know it. the rest of the album is really quiet, melodious and unobtrusive. my study music in high school and still calms me down when i'm upset.

Bill Frisell's "Good Dog Happy Man" is also excellent.

Vida Blue's "The Illuminated Band" is a bit more upbeat but not at all in-your-face, nice stuff all around.

Try some Steve Reich for some beautiful-but-repetitive-beautiful-but-repetitive hypnotic classical music.

Guest Low Roller

The fuck... Why has nobody mentioned Miles Davis yet? A little Kind of Blue to cure what ails ya StoneMtn.

If that won't do ya, how about some Boards of Canada? It's only the best chill-out music out there. I suggest Geogaddi or In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country.

So...

My day just improved markedly!

A friend from a different board took it upon himself to send me a package full of some bootlegs of shows I've seen, which just arrived at my office.

I am now holding in my hot, little hands:

John Zorn's Electric Masada (Vancouver 2002)

Living Daylights (Vancouver 2003)

Neil Young (Vancouver 2004)

As I said, the day's looking better.