Jambands.ca

The new NHL.

peipunk

Well, now that every team has played 12-15 games, its safe to say that the game has really changed. I can't believe the numbers that players and teams are putting up; and I am absolutely loving it. The spotlight is back on what hockey is all about, scoring goals. I am loving this season like I have never loved hockey before. I know a lot of people liked the goonery, but I can live without it if this is the alternative.

This Saturday night drunken victorious ramble has been brought to you by Heineken and vitamin H.

New NHL? meh,I don't like the new cherry picker option (no redline), my other problem is the officiating is such a disgrace now-a-days, I've never seen so many uncalled for penalties in my life, [color:purple]I guess the refs are on commission from the sponsors, since more penaltys equals more stoppages in turn equaling more commercials. And don't get me wrong this has nothing to do with "goonery" or lack there of, its still there.No offence Chris, but I feel hockey wasn't about just scoring goals until the TV producers realized it made more money.

I can think of a few other sports that should have been made more TV friendly long before hockey should of.

Edited by Guest

it's a better product now.

Exactly, a product now, not just a sport.

And yes, its very fun to play, after playing for 15 years I really miss it.

[edit to add]

Truthfully, I don't understand why there has to always be a winning team, if two teams play 60 minutes and can't get the lead or score the winning goal then it can said its an evenly matched, well played game. But, like other products out there, even isn't good enough.

Edited by Guest

I hardly think the officials are calling more penalties to allow for more commercial time... The commercial breaks are pre-scheduled anyways. The refs are calling more penalties because they changed the rules to allow for more offence... Blame the rules committee, not the TV producers, if you are looking to blame anyone for hockey these days. The stickwork was bad before, and all the hooking. Now there's some clean Olympic-style hockey that is fast, skilled, and pretty when the guys really get flying. The players can be more creative with their play if they're not taking sticks everywhere or being tugged on all the time.

I dunno. I really really like the new game. The only complaint is every 5 minutes the 'New NHL' phrase comes up. Stop saying that!! It's the NHL.

AD

I guess I should of used purple font in that part of my post, obviously the refs aren't calling more penalities for that reason, I know that.(edit made) Also, I never complained about hooking or stick work in my post.

Argh, all these messegeboard rules or "tricks" to explain ones self get sorta tiresome.

Well, I've seen so many tripping penalities called when a player is being tied up or steps on anothers stick (not tripping), holding penalities called when in front of the net and hes being overpowered, elbowing penalities called for clean shoulders laid etc.

I agree its made for a more offensive game, but at the cost of a good defensive game.

but realise it's not possible in the regular season with TV broadcasts etc...

AD

Sports shaped or produced for TV, like the standard 2 minute "break" or "timeout" for commercials, this I saw this during preseason & at a game the other week, although baseball & soccer run as long or longer without a single change to the game.

I dunno, I just like the old time hockey I'm used to watching I guess.

No hockey fans really complained about the 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hour games before the "new nhl" style was introduced, just the TV producers did. A game could end in a tie, except in playoffs where it was sudden death, if two teams were evenly matched you got one hell of a game.

Now, you get the game shaped to allow commercials, shoot-outs to decide a winner & save time for other [color:purple]quality shows like reruns of MASH.

Obviously (on this board anyway) I have the minority opinion, which is fine, I know what sorta hockey I enjoy and within the circle of friends I watch & attend games with we all seem to feel the same.

We should regress to the hockey of yore where games weren't televised, and most of the time the fourth line would end up dead.

I don't think that's a good idea William. Clearly you are drunk. Or if this is the future, was drunk.

AD

Obviously (on this board anyway) I have the minority opinion, which is fine, I know what sorta hockey I enjoy and within the circle of friends I watch & attend games with we all seem to feel the same.

I liked the old game, I like the 'new' game. I like hockey in general. I'll watch either, no worries. I'm just glad it's back. Last year we couldn't even have this conversation, nice to have something to talk about. A uniquely Canadian debate, to be sure.

:)

AD

although baseball & soccer run as long or longer without a single change to the game.

I am so amazed at the American fascination with baseball. It's gotta be the most boring sport in the world. I read somewhere that in every game there is an average of 9 minutes of actual action. Any sport where Cecil Fielder is considered an elite athlete has problems, in my book.

AD

I liked the old game, I like the 'new' game. I like hockey in general. I'll watch either, no worries. I'm just glad it's back. Last year we couldn't even have this conversation, nice to have something to talk about. A uniquely Canadian debate, to be sure.

:)

AD

Agreed. I think I'm still having trouble adjusting is all. I'm very happy its back regardless of my whining.

:thumbup:

The Leaf-Caps game yesterday was painful and frustrating to watch. When it was 5 on 5, it was really entertaining. However, 5 om 5 play was the exception and not the rule. The refs called way too many penalties against both teams. Some calls were astonishingly bad. If every NHL game was like last night's game, I'll quit watching hockey.

If every NHL game was like last night's game, I'll quit watching hockey.

Well, mistake #1, you're watching the Leafs ;) .

Well, I am basing my opinion and my reason for posting this thread mainly from all the Montreal Canadiens that I've watched and a lot of highlights from around the league. I haven't seen any horrific officiating in the games that I've watched- a few bad calls here or there but nothing too dramatic. So, I might be a bit biased; I am especially loving watching my team within the new rules and crackdowns on obstruction. But I also love watching the highlights to see how points Eric Staal got, or Heatley or Gagne; I think that there is more room for storylines with the game more open.

I'm OK with the shootouts, I don't think there has been too many. Your top 3-4 players decide who gets the extra point at the end, if it gets that far.

AD- I will never use the phrase "the new NHL" again.

Esau- C'mon, even the pansy-ass golfers have sudden death :D:D (any sport where John Daly is considered an elite athlete has problems-but don't tell him I said that).

I like the new rules, for the most part. I think there will be some tweaks with physical play. The refs call too many roughing and slashing penalties for taps and shoves.

I like the no red line and the tag-up off-side rule. I like the flow of the games when they are 5 on 5. I'm disappointed that physical play is down ( and I don't mean fights ). Diving is way up which drives me nuts.