Jambands.ca

...::: Acoustic Super-Jam @ PJC - 2005-12-23 :::...

\/\/illy

Just in time for the holidays, there's been a very special show planned for December 23rd at the Pepper Jack Café. It's a Canadian improvisational acoustic super-band arrangement (well, what would you call it?). The line-up is as follows:

Mark Crissinger (Caution Jam) - Guitar

Todd Gillies (Fat Cats) - Guitar

Dave Hill (Fat Cats) - Bass

Adam King (Fat Cats) - Percussion

There will be candlelight, holiday cheer, and beautiful music to fill you and inspire you during this holiday season. Bring all your friends and loved ones and share in this special evening of musical expression and improvisation.

There will be more details to follow.

Edited by Guest
Percussion change from Ricky Neu to Adam King.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ... this sounds like it will be an awesome show! The timing sucks for me ... there is no way that I'll be able to sneak in a trip to Hamilton for this one, but I'm certain that the people that do will be treated to some very sweet music.

To be honest, shortly after the Trey concert ended in Buffalo last Thursday, I thought to myself "Trey is a really good guitar player, but I've been just as impressed with some of our Canadian talent. Actually, I've been more impressed at times." Sure enough, the next night, after seeing Fat Cats, I thought how lucky I was to be able to see a guy like Todd Gillies play the guitar with Fat Cats in a sweet little venue, 5 minutes from my house, for a fraction of the cost of the Trey show. Todd Gillies can play the guitar ... both the acoustic and the electric! Plus he writes great songs and is a solid singer.

Dave Hill is one of the best rock/groove bass players out there, in my humble opinion. End of story.

I've had the pleasure of being at a few parties over the last year where Mark Crissinger has played some acoustic guitar. Wow ... he can play! I'm sure that it will be a treat to hear him and Todd trade ideas and licks.

Ricky Neu is such a tasty percussion player. Yes, he is a solid drummer as he demonstrated time and time again with Diesel Dog, but his real love is playing percussion. I've seen him sit in with a number of bands on percussion, and the sound always get fatter and groovier when he adds his rhythms to the mix.

I'm having a hard time imagining myself not being at this show!

Peace, Mark

Comparing Trey with Todd is a little much Mark....this will still be a great night of music!!

I agree Cully, and to be honest, I thought about that after posting my message. It's kind of like comparing an NHL game to a semi-pro, OHL or University/College game. On the whole, the NHL has the best talent and the players make lots of money, but sometimes a semi-pro or OHL game is more enjoyable to watch. And there are definitely some talented players floating around outside of the NHL.

Peace, Mark

Hey Willy, did Mark happen to mention a Guelph date for this acoustic super jam?

I believe there is a Toronto date scheduled with High Plains Drifter opening. If I recall, the venue was the El Mocambo.

As far as a Guelph show goes, Mark said he was working on setting one up. I believe the tentative date was December 28th and I think I heard Jimmy Jazz mentioned as a potential venue.

Neither of these are authoratative answers though. The only show that I know about for sure is the Pepper Jack Café show on December 23rd.

I'm with Mark on this one: When I see some of the shit these guys play sometimes I am truly thankful for the quality of entertainment that we are spoiled with. Todd is an exceptional guitarist. The same goes for guys like Mark Crissinger and Mike Filipowitsch whose guitar dueling at Lose Yer Shoes this summer was nothing short of mind-boggling. I really wish it had got recorded.

Todd is an exceptional guitarist. The same goes for guys like Mark Crissinger and Mike Filipowitsch whose guitar dueling at Lose Yer Shoes this summer was nothing short of mind-boggling. I really wish it had got recorded.

I'll second that, Willy - there were moments of sheer electricity coming off that stage, just like at the Fatties, who are also pretty damn deep into the pocket.

I do like the national/local hockey analogy. I'm reminded of the people who I've heard say that the only tabla player worth listening to is Zakir Hussain (in a country of around a billion people). I expect to be stunned for years to come by the bluegrass talent, e.g., that I can expect to hear up here in the Ottawa Valley, musicians who are wanting only for decent places to play/support. It's not the players who make themselves huge, it's the audiences, and market dynamics, which are pretty fickle.

Gillies is the complete package. It's not just his guitar playing that is stellar. He has a voice that you want to listen to and the number of truly well written Fatcats songs easily compares to other jambands that have had far more commercial success. The hockey analogy works for me. I have always thought the Fatties deserved to graduate to the next level, whatever that may be, but I'm glad I get to see them as often as I do. I'm not sure why it never happened for them. The only knock I'd give them is that their studio stuff, while decent, didn't really capture "their" groove. I guess thats why they're a jamband. Long Live the Fatties!!