Jambands.ca

The Dusty Owl Chocolate House with Special Guest Dave Lauzon -- Dec. 18

SteveThe Owl

[color:red]T[color:green]h[color:red]e [color:green]S[color:red]e[color:green]c[color:red]o[color:green]n[color:red]d [color:green]A[color:red]n[color:green]n[color:red]u[color:green]a[color:red]l [color:green]D[color:red]u[color:green]s[color:red]t[color:green]y [color:red]O[color:green]w[color:red]l [color:green]C[color:red]h[color:green]o[color:red]c[color:green]o[color:red]l[color:green]a[color:red]t[color:green]e [color:red]H[color:green]o[color:red]u[color:green]s[color:red]e

With Special Guest Dave Lauzon

18 December, 5pm

Swizzles Bar & Grill, 246B Queen Street, Ottawa

No Cover

Benefit for the Ottawa Food Bank

Haunted by the spectre of Christmas presents? Fed up with the shopping maul mall?

Take a much-needed break at the Second Annual Dusty Owl Chocolate House!

We're raising much-needed money and food donations for the Ottawa Food Bank, with the help of Dave Lauzon of nero, who will be dropping by to play a solo acoustic set.

There will also be yummy hot chocolate and our ever-popular open-mike set -- bring your own music, poems, short stories, and rants to share. Don't forget to bring your guitar, djembe, flute, banjo -- whatever. It's an open set... you will be heard. And stick around for our legendary Object of Desire contest.

Anyone who brings in 10 nonperishable food items (preferably, but not necessarily, organic -- there is also a need for baby food and formula) for the donation box will get a free limited-edition, hand-printed poster created by Catherine MacDonald-Zytveld.

Keep an eye on www.dustyowl.com/whatsnew.htm for more details!

Edited by Guest
Just being fussy!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey everybody,

I thought I'd let you know a bit about what I'm doing at this show.

Steve asked me to do this a long time ago... maybe February or something. I'm really glad he did because its been a good motivation to get this thing together.

Its going to be instrumental acoustic and electric guitars, synth and live looping. (In future shows I'll be bringing a modified chinese instrument called a "guzehng" similar to a zither or a koto)

I've spent all this year writing new material for this format and its been really rewarding. Its so great to concentrate on making music.

I believe that Velvet will be screening his new movie before I play.

I hope to see some of you out there. I'm hoping to maybe travel this show a bit next year... we'll see.

Cheers,

Dave

OK, until I read what Pablo posted, I didn't even know Velvet was making a movie*. Can we get some details, please? Subject, length, when/where/how it was filmed, and by whom? Does it have soundtrack music? If so, who did it? What's its title?

Aloha,

Brad

* Uh, can'o'phish, a short documentary is a movie. :)

Hey Gang...

Due to a highly unsatisfying job with an even less satisfying schedule, I haven't been able to get online today until only a few minutes ago.

First of all, thanks for the great response to the posting. It goes without saying that I hope some of you show up and that this event will help out the Food Bank, but I also hope you will be there to hear what Dave's been working on (I think Christmas morning will be anticlimactic for me because of it!).

Also, I'll be updating the posting at the top of this thread from time to time for clarity's sake. There are some ambiguities between the notice on DustyOwl.com and my statements on this thread; because my webmistressmaster (ohhh, Cathy is so going to kill me for that...) won't be able to update the website as quickly as I can post here (again, work schedule and communication matters), I will clarify things and answer questions as you put them to me. Please feel free to email me

Here are some questions answered:

Is it 10 items or, as the website says, "$10 worth of...food" (emphasis added)?
It's ten items; we will try to get that clarified on the website soon. We also request (on an entirely voluntary basis) that you bring food that is certified organic or health-oriented -- I mean ten cans of No-Name creamed corn is fine, but...
Is this a kid-friendly thing? We'd love to be able to check it out.
Yes, although keep in mind we can't control what goes on in the open set -- listener discretion should be exercised for occasional coarse language. Also, the venue serves reasonably-priced soft drinks and juice, and has nice snacky-type food.
And will we get to use those nifty red and green goggles?
I will be bringing a pair of Dusty Owl Poetry Goggles should you need them at any point in the evening. ;)

Is it 10 items or, as the website says, "$10 worth of...food" (emphasis added)?
It's ten items

Might I sugget an alternative, then? Rather than have a certain number of items get you a poster, have each (and every) item you bring get you a draw ticket, and then draw tickets for posters (or maybe other prizes to be donated by people).

Aloha,

Brad