Jambands.ca

I wanna be like Swayze!

Kaidy Mae

Okay folks, I need your help. Do any of you in the Toronto area know of a good dance studio or have a friend who teaches dance? In a further effort to look lame and ridiculous, Lacey and I are going to take ballroom dance lessons. He's wanted to forever and since we're not supposed to get each other "things" for Christmas I figured I'd get us some lessons. But shhhhh, it's a surprise.

There are about a bazillion dance studios in Toronto and I have no idea where to begin. Most have images like this one:

2893621c.gif

Jesus God, man! We're not going to be doing any lifts or splits...we just don't want to trip over eachother. *sigh*

Okay, let the teasing begin....:blush:

hi kaidy!

if you want to take ballroom dance, you don't want to go to a studio like that at all. places like that focus on formal performance dance training for kids (ballet, tap, jazz, hiphop, acro, breakdance, lyrical) and if anything, MAY offer a ballroom or salsa class for adults. your best bet would be to go someplace geared towards ballroom in general.

i would suggest the fred astaire dance studio -- it's a chain of dance studios, and since it's a franchise, one would think (hope!) they all have to adhere to rules in order to run them, so they are probably pretty consistent. i was the "bring-a-friend" on a bring-a-friend night at the fred astaire here in kitchener, and it was so fun! the teachers were very nice, and all the students in the class (the majority being adults who most certainly could not do flips & splits & stuff ;) ) seemed to just love their class.

here's the general fred astaire webpage: www.fredastaire.ca

you should phone and ask when the next "bring a friend" night is at the location you want to go to, and ask if you guys can go. they have a few of them a year, and on these nights they offer AWESOME deals -- like 3 private lessons for $99 or something plus a discount if you want to sign up for the actual class. plus they even had champange & chocolate covered strawberries. hahahaha.

that's awesome you are going to be taking dancing & i hope you guys actually do it!!!! you'll have to show me some of the moves you pick up. :)

Oh so sad...there's no Fred Astaire studio in Toronto! :( Thanks for the suggestion though. Perhaps Birdy could teach us. ;)

ahahah! hell yeah! i'll glady host a ballroom blitz! all you need to do is venture down to this one particular c-town and bring your favorite beverage. i'll provide the tunes, a punch and maybe even a partner if you need one! :) lol.. this could be funnnnnnnnnny!

I think you've hit on a new theme for the next schoolhouse rager. LOL Drunken, hillbilly square dance style. Ahhh hahaha. Well, if you weren't in C-town I'd take you up on that offer. For the sake of my liver I can only go there once a year. ;)

hehee.. TRY LIVING HERE.. *gulp* :) :) :)

i think a drunken, hillbilly square dance is right up my alley, at least. hmmmmmmmmmmm... my mind is at wonder now.