Jambands.ca

QOTD: 1/18/06

Hartamophone

Let's Dance - but except for the Steveie Ray Vaughan guitar solo, or with it?

I'd have to * Dancing in the Streets. As well, though I love the man and his music, and have for a very long time, I'd * all the word for word speeches Michael Franti does every night, especially the one about his (and everybody elses) Dad and the Every soul is a poem thing.

Ciao, Stephen

www.stephenfranke.ca

Guest Low Roller

I was watching the Neil Young DVD "live in Berlin" the other day.

First off an asterix for the neon green sport jacket on Neil... followed by MASSIVE asterix' next to the synthesizer abominations "Transformer" and "Little Thing Called Love".

Hear ya on the post-Waters Floyd, too. That stuff makes me cringe. I enjoy Gilmour's About Face, fwiw, but only once I turn off the lyric receptors in my brain.

I'll always remember Water's critique of Gilmour's lyric writing in that infamous Rolling Stone article: "Third rate at best"!

I'm surprised at the Bowie choices and "Blues for Allah".

Let's Dance - but except for the Steveie Ray Vaughan guitar solo, or with it?

I love SRV, and I'll always remember standing in my Dad's driveway doing some hedge-clipping, when I heard the news of his death. I'm also very grateful that I got a chance to see him, even if it was just opening up for Robert Plant.

That said, just because a great guitarist plays a riff doesn't mean that riff is some great guitar.

Shiny Happy People - REM

Tight Connection To My Heart - Bob Dylan

Dogs Of War - Pink Floyd

The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy (just for being overplayed)

Never Let Me Down (song and album) - David Bowie

It's Friday, I'm In Love and Love Cats - The Cure

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

Happy Family - King Crimson

Illegal Alien - Genesis

the all-time king of the asterisk:

a few months before Don't worry be Happy came out I caught a concret broatcast on PBS or something, Bobby McFerrin singing with some philharmnic orchestra and i think some jazz ensemble as well- it was amazing. His range is, of course, out of this world as is his rhythm etc;

but of course now most people liken him to a dentist's drill or some other such annoyance.

(i suppose i should say that i own no Bobby McFerrin music at all)