Jambands.ca

Awesome Band Discovery

AD

So last night in Ottawa, Myself, SmoothedShredder and some others went to Zaphod's to support my friend's band The Soirée. (They played great, check them out sometime).

None of us knew anything about the other two bands on the bill, just that they were both American. The headliner was a band called Sybris, from Chicago. They were ok, nothing special.

But the middle band, called Anathallo were absolutely fabulous. They were an 8-piece with all sorts of instruments on stage, a huge 3-foot bass drum, all sorts of percussion everywhere, keyboards, guitars, bass, trombone, flugelhorn, clairinet, trumpet, samplers.. Also played with some found stuff, socket sets, velcro, used their brass instruments as percussion... They all sang, with or without mics, they were all into it, and the show was as entertaining as some of the best shows I've seen. The music was complex, layered, challenging, but very exciting, fresh, and nuanced. Hard to descibe too :) At first I thought it sounded like the Polyphonic Spree was fucking the Arcade Fire, but after thinking about it I think there was way more to it than that.

Here is the promo article for the band:

For more than five years, the Anathallo collaborative have taken part in a process of continual transformation. What began as a youthful post-punk ensemble in the Spring of 2000, utilitizing horns, guitars, and a collection of dumpster-retrieved drums, has since expanded outward crossing genres with an ever increasing sense of purposeful risk, and fluidity. Two dead vans and 11 independently booked U.S. tours later, the group continues to bring its intensely celebratory and theatrical 'marching band gone wild¹ performances to a growing grassroots fanbase across the nation. The seven members, toting horns, piano, bells, guitars, chains, pipes, smiles, and a slew of junk to beat have surprised even the most jaded hear-alls with an orchestral and performative experience. With four independent releases, and a new release slated for the new year, the thought of throwing in the towel is overridden by emerging concepts, developing artistic ideologies, and a group of odd but normal people, lifelong learners, unable to shake the search for inspiration, and an attraction to sounds.

Anyways, I think everyone at Zaphod's last night (maybe 30 people?) were absolutely blown away by this band. I felt kinda lucky to have been there to witness their show.

They are playing 3 more Canadian dates. (Last night was their first ever show in Canada).

Jan 19 2006 - Main Hall - Montreal, QC

Jan 20 2006 - Underground - Hamilton, ON

Jan 21 2006 - Silver Dollar - Toronto, ON

Anyways, I'd highly recommend you check these guys out before they retreat back home.

AD

thanks for the heads up Alan. Might check them tonight.

Also, thanks for mentioning Polyphonic Spree, I've been trying to remember their name for a week now and it wasn't coming to me.

Reason I was trying to remember is that another band that reminds me of them crossed with Flaming Lips, the Animal Collective, is playing Montreal and Toronto late next month. Check them out:

http://fat-cat.co.uk/fatcat/artistInfo.php?id=53

Should be fun!

djedy, if you had a drop of happiness in your soul, and an ounce of rhythm trying to escape your body through your hips or booty....even you're feet...you would like something that didn't sound like it needed to be shot and put out of it's misery.

cheer up my friend. and mr ss, while seeming to lose their way slightly are still presently capable of mighty fun things.

edit to add: i'm going to make you your very own googly eyed monster so that you can magicly tranform into mr smiley pants

Edited by Guest

cheer up my friend. and mr ss, while seeming to lose their way slightly are still presently capable of mighty fun things.

"Seeming to lose their way slightly"? Could you give some more details, maybe? (That's not a chalenge, just a query.) I've been seeing them since mid-2004, and I think they're getting better and better. The most recent show of theirs that I saw, mrss2005-12-22, was the best yet, and it seemed to me as if their recent heavy touring had noticably improved the band. I also have the new album, "The Edge", and like it a lot.

Aloha,

Brad

i don't like the new direction the album has taken them. i don't like their sound as much without the trumpet player, i think that space needs to be filled.

i LOVE the band, i LOVE the sound, i LOVE seeing them live, the vibe, it's all great. but the more recent shows i've been seeing seem to have less of that crazy super high oh my god i just can't take it anymore energy. they seem a bit more mellowed out...which is fine, but isn't what i go to see from that band.

edit to add: maybe i just got too used to and attached to the old album....i did listen to it for months on end everyday when i walked darius

Edited by Guest

happiness is for jerks.

From Brain Candy:

Grivo: Hold it! I wanna talk about drugs.

Crowd: Heroin!

Grivo: No, not heroin.

Crowd: Speed!

Grivo: No, not speed.

Crowd: Hashish!

Grivo: No, not even hashish.

Crowd: Horse tranquilizers?

Grivo: Not horse tranquilizers. I just heard about this new drug that makes you happy. I just wanna say-- Fuck happy!

Guest Low Roller
Animal Collective are great. Check out the EP they did with Vashti Bunyan, a highly underrated UK singer. It's great. I'll be at the Toronto show.

Good call. I'm digging the album "Feels" right now.

Well...thanks for the heads up. I'll check out those other bands too.

I'm gonna go check Anathallo out at the Underground. Haven'tgone to see any live music in a while!

Great! I'd be interested to hear what you think, same goes for you Blane if you make it out tonight. Wanna know if my hyperbole matches up to what others think :)

Love Polyphonic Spree and Animal Collective too, great bands for sure.

AD