Jambands.ca

Here's a stupid question:

StellaBlue

StaggerLee, I'll give you $10 for your Avatar.

seriously.

Ha, I boosted it from someone on another board.

Here's another tip for Audacity that took me a while to figure out on my own: if you want to apply an effect like reverb to a track, make a copy of the track and apply the effect to the copy, then play both tracks at once, otherwise you just get the effect without the original track and it sounds bad. I usually just use the effects settings that are suggested in wikipedia as it can be frustrating messing with all the dials when all you want is a little reverb or chorus or whatever. The only thing I really don't like about the program is the EQ which is a pain in the ass to use.

I've tried Acid Pro as well, but find Audacity a little simpler to use -- and I like the notion of open source programs. I've heard talk of Soundforge before for certain uses, but I was under the impression is was not a multi-track program, am I wrong?

The ease of use of Audacity is what impresses me most. I had recorded and was mixing three different guitar tracks after about five minutes of use.

Here's another tip for Audacity that took me a while to figure out on my own: if you want to apply an effect like reverb to a track, make a copy of the track and apply the effect to the copy, then play both tracks at once, otherwise you just get the effect without the original track and it sounds bad. I usually just use the effects settings that are suggested in wikipedia as it can be frustrating messing with all the dials when all you want is a little reverb or chorus or whatever. The only thing I really don't like about the program is the EQ which is a pain in the ass to use.

I haven't used Audacity, but I would imagine there is a Wet/Dry setting somewhere on the reverb plugin...'wet' is the effect and 'dry' is the raw signal, you should be able to mix between the two.

I'm a former Acid user and I've just graduated to Cubase SX and it's bloody great. It's the same as Acid in that the waveforms you see and work with are only references to the raw WAV files; if you cut a whole piece out, you're not affecting the original track. That's good if, for example, you want to do three completely different dub mixes of one tune. Granted, I haven't even looked at the manual, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to edit a single raw WAV in Cubase, so I've also got Cool Edit Pro for that. Cool Edit has a multitrack view as well, but I prefer the Cubase interface and effects. I recently bought a Presonus Firepod digital interface, it's got 8 internal mic preamps and configured easily with Cubase to allow 8 simultaneous mic ins...I'm putting it to the real test starting tomorrow, when we start the bed tracks for a record I'm producing entirely in my house. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I also work as the Audio Production Coordinator at the campus radio station, and I use Wavelab there. Wavelab is top-notch, with an easy-to-use interface in both single-file and multitrack views. Now I don't know if Wavelab can be set up with a digital interface to record multiple channels at once; at school we've only got a stereo signal going into it.

[/digital audio nerd]

YearsAlongtheSea,

StaggerLee, I'll give you $10 for your Avatar.

seriously.

With all much do respect to the awesomeness of transformers, Thundercats is the best thing to ever come outta the 80's

check out some of these avatars:

Thundercats Symbol

The Supremely Awesome Sword of Omens

Thundercats Full Logo

The Super Awesome Logo!

Hmmm... now I want to change my avatar...