Jambands.ca

x

Joan

Not true: some handguns are made for the sport/hobby of target shooting.

In other news, there's an article in today's Ottawa Sun reporting that the recent "gun amnesty" in Ottawa, which ended yesterday, resulted in more than 500 guns (20% handguns) being turned in.

In one instance, a woman phoned police to pick up a handgun she found with a full magazine and a bullet in the chamber. The gun belonged to her elderly husband and it was stored in a dresser drawer in a room where her grandchildren often played.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm with Velvet on this one, although I'm not a target shooter. Long guns have a use for hunting and as varmint guns in the country.

Handguns tend to be used for "personal protection," which means they're often easily accessible. Which means your kids can find them. So can thieves.

As the Mercenary is fond of saying: "90% of accidental shootings occur with 'unloaded' weapons." This, coming from a guy who arranged for the destruction of a pistol range by 10,000 rounds of ammunition over the course of four days.

"assault rifles" arent what you think they are. just another name for sporty lookin rifles. they are semi-auto, itll shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger, not fully auto, "spraying bullets like water" like in most rambo movies.

although there isnt a huge difference really, you can convert em if youve got macgyver skills.

i myself would like a nice deer rifle one day, when i have enough land to look for one, only one a year, i dont think i have enough expensive stuff to warrant buying a handgun for home protection

Edited by Guest

i have a lot of friends who are hunters, and they are very honourable about the whole thing, including keeping their rifles locked up separate from ammunition. none of them own anything even semi-automatic...the consensus seems to be that semi-automatic and automatic rifles were made for substandard hunters. many of them still use muzzle-loading rifles.

many of them are mad too, because the "gun problem" isn't really even about them. the gun problem is an urban issue, and part of a larger culture of prohibition.

nobody hunts with a handgun. they are made to kill people. why someone would want to collect them i can't fathom. maybe it's too much paperwork to collect nuclear weapons...if collectors want collections, they should have to pay to house them somewhere safe with 24 hour security...

or conversely,

Let's just cut to the chase and allow concealed handguns, like Florida and Utah. That'll solve everything just fine.

"as your uncle said, shoot 'em all and let God sort them out, just before the marshals came for him. now let us never speak of this again."

marge.gif

Edited by Guest