Jambands.ca

Zappa Interviews

Hartamophone

i just started listening to some zappa. does anyone else think his speaking voice sounds like trey?

I can hear it, although I assume you mean post 1972 Zappa. Frank was pushed from the stage by a crazy fan in 1972 and it resulted in a crushed larynx (amongst other serious injuries), which permanently deepened his voice. If you can stand to listen to Dweezil, his voice is almost exactly the same as Frank's was pre-1972.

Anybody ever seen the CNN crossfire with Zappa from the 80's where they argue (almost to the point of physical violence) about censorship in music? It's hilarious, the main song they bring up is "Hot for Teacher". It's worth the watch if you can find it anywhere.

Anybody ever seen the CNN crossfire with Zappa from the 80's where they argue (almost to the point of physical violence) about censorship in music? It's hilarious, the main song they bring up is "Hot for Teacher". It's worth the watch if you can find it anywhere.

This one??

or

This one??

PS: The first link is the heated discussion. I haven't seen either one and, due to restrictions here at work, I can't watch them but will later.

The "Ring Of Fire" is probably from "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life", which is from the ill-fated 1988 "big band" tour. "Titties And Beer" might be from "Zappa In New York" (is there mention of a pickle? if so, it's the ZiNY version, with Terry Bozzio on drums).

Aloha,

Brad

I found a bunch of great audio interview clips on 'Kill Ugly Radio Some More', which I assume were a series of radio samplers (I found it at the campus station). My signature comes from one of those clips.

If you're looking to discover Zappa musically, I might be of some assistance. Zappa is tough because he released something like 65 albums in his lifetime; this not including multiple authorized bootleg albums and compilations, many of which contained original material (I just came across 'The Mystery Disc', for example). Anyway I consider myself still pretty new to Zappa, but I'll tell you what I've heard and enjoyed and maybe you can go from there.

I started with Strictly Commercial, his greatest hits package, when I was in grade 12

d65905l2d12.jpg

While I loved most of it, I didn't explore Zappa any further until a few years later. Tunes like Don't Eat the Yellow Snow, San Ber'dino, Dirty Love, Cosmik Debris, I'm the Slime and Valley Girl (I could go on) all showcase Zappa's sharp wit in combination with fine songwriting. A tune like Sexual Harrassment in the Workplace, for example, showcases his prowess on the guitar, a talent that often goes overlooked because of his ridiculousness.

From there, I heard Hot Rats (1969)

d75817l1298.jpg

You jam kids will dig it, I think. Easy to understand where some of Phish's quirky side came from when you hear a song like Willie the Pimp, and also easy to see the compositional influence Zappa may have had with a tune like Peaches En Regalia.

After that, the live Zappa/Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere (1974)

d55579xaq79.jpg

It's quirky at times, but the playing and writing are classic FZ.

From there, you can go a number of ways; I'd recommend Waka/Jawaka if you really like Hot Rats, and the Mothers' Fillmore East: June 1971 if you like Roxy. Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe are also winners. Enjoy the Zappa, love him, become him.

p.s. cool vids, thanks for posting

Edited by Guest
keepin it on topic

Strickly Commercial sucks because a few key songs are shortened, like the hatchet-job on Montana (removing one of Zappa's best solos ever) and the recutting of Don't Eat The Yellow Snow.

Roxy & Elsewhere was my first Zappa album and it's still one of my favourites - I bought it for Booche, thus making it his first Zappa album too.

I like Zappa's early to mid 70's era the best. Here's a few I find essential:

This concert contains Zappa's greatest solo on Inca Roads (longer and more intense than the edited version on One Size Fits All)

d757836v6h4.jpg

Overnite Sensation

overnite.jpg

apostrophe-b.jpg

chunga.jpg

Waka.jpg

Bongo Fury with Captain Beefheart

bongo.jpg

Edited by Guest