Jambands.ca

GST cut bologna

bouche

Consumers holding back...

Anyone who is going to spend $5000 on a TV is not going to wait just to save $50. The scale of savings is just ridiculous...even on a house. I'm sure if you were to find the perfect home you wouldn't hold out to save a one or two thousand and risk losing the property.

The Globe and Mail found one idiot who said something and now it seems he speaks for everyone that is in the market for HDTV.

This whole GST cut is utter garbage from ever perspective.

Thanks Steve!

Sean Lee is shopping for a high-definition TV to watch his beloved Blue Jays, but the prospect of saving money by waiting until Ottawa lowers the GST has given him reason to delay the purchase.

"I'd be willing to wait a few months for the GST cut to happen," the 35-year-old Toronto account manager said.

Mr. Lee doesn't mind waiting to get a discount on his purchase, even if it only amounts to $40 or $50 on a TV retailing for $4,000 or $5,000. "[it] doesn't seem that much off the price of something that big, but then again, before tax, that's probably like $80 or $90 of income and that's like a half-day of work."

people like Mr. Lee remind me of those people who sit in their living room on a sunday morning for hours at a time clipping out all kinds of coupons for weekly savings, or those people in front of you at the variety store with their little blue lotto booklet, taking FOREVER, checking if they won anything. the latter drives me insane when all i want to do is slide the guy a 20 for gas.

it's not fair that this guy reflects the consumer market, just as much as it's not fair to let this one guy make the GST cut look ridiculous.

meh.. i can see why people might think it is ridiculous but i don't fall into that camp. if something is cheaper, i don't question it, i just think 'hell yeah'.

The Ottawa Sun costs 25 cents. Do you think it will cost 24 cents after the GST cut? I think a lot of products will absorb the savings and we as consumers will see little difference in price.

hah! working with a 25 cent example is a little bit hard ollie.

considering that there's few things out there these days that cost below $1.00 and few things out there that don't get run into a till upon their sale, i don't think absorption will be an issue. sure on an individual scale the savings will be miniscule, but monthly, yearly when all is added up, it will add up.

Yeah and by reference, if you want to save money, look at all of the money you might throw away on needless things.

I just bought a little packet of cashew's for 2.49! I could have not bought it and that is exactly what I would have saved if I bought something for $249 after a GST cut. WOOOPETY DOOO!

It WILL add up for people that can afford the big ticket items, such has homes, cottages, cars, boats, ie. those who spend/consume a lot.

Unfortunately, low income = low spending, if you look at what a single mother living on the poverty line spends a month, GST isn't even charged on most of it, ie. rent, basic groceries.

Most economists agree that it's more effective to lower income taxes or raise the income level at which people start paying income tax.

i'd cash that cheque.

So would I. Still not enough to make me vote Conservative! ;)

I think scrapping the Liberal tax cuts after year one will cost people more money than the GST cut will save them.

In a vacuum the GST cut looks like a good idea... and it's a brilliant political tool for shaming your opponents because you can say, "What? You don't think a $15 a month is *enough*?" and make it look like you won the argument. ;)

most economists would also agree a greater disposable income in the hands of those who spend/consume a lot could be a great bump for a slumping economy. plus i think they're banking heavily on the psychological aspect of this particular tax cut, considering how highly unpopular the GST is and until now, how highly unpopular the CPC was.

preferably i'd take lower income taxes across the board over a GST cut, but a cut is a cut is a cut is a cut. i won't complain.

In a vacuum the GST cut looks like a good idea... and it's a brilliant political tool for shaming your opponents because you can say, "What? You don't think a $15 a month is *enough*?" and make it look like you won the argument. ;)

hhehe... i love playing that card.

it works though! you said you'd cash the cheque! beggars can't be choosers, can they ollie?

:)

a GST cut, but a cut is a cut is a cut is a cut.

you just reminded me of one of my pet peeves.

"A blank is a blank is a blank is a blank"

The only good any sort of cut like that will do is if you spend the time to watch ever single dollar spent and then take that extra money and bank it. I'd like to see someone do that every month and prove that it was useful in ANY way.

You see a cut, but all I see is a bunch of freaks in power that will spend all kinds of money hunting down people with a joint in their pocket.

plus i think they're banking heavily on the psychological aspect of this particular tax cut, considering how highly unpopular the GST is and until now, how highly unpopular the CPC was.

The psychological aspect helped them get votes for sure. I prefer a tax cut that has a physical money saving aspect to it and not just one that makes me feel good. That's what the joint in my pocket is for. ;)

In a vacuum the GST cut looks like a good idea... and it's a brilliant political tool for shaming your opponents because you can say' date=' "What? You don't think a $15 a month is *enough*?" and make it look like you won the argument. ;)

[/quote']

hhehe... i love playing that card.

it works though! you said you'd cash the cheque! beggars can't be choosers, can they ollie?

:)

it doesnt work on me. and it doesnt matter if i'd cash the cheque or not, i dont see how its relevant. it's $15 dollars that, had the gst cut never happened i probably woulda spent anyways, because 6% or 7% isnt changing my decision on buying something... but $15 a month x however many people, is a good chunk of change that is no longer being re-distributed for the greater good.

what, $15 is too much to pass around to your neighbours?

You see a cut, but all I see is a bunch of freaks in power that will spend all kinds of money hunting down people with a joint in their pocket.

well i can't say much to a freak accusation.

as for hunting down petty criminals, i think that choice lies mainly with municipal/provincial police forces and what their 'attitudes' towards simple possession are. honestly, i don't think we'll see too much change. our opinions of marijuana are collectively changing, stephen harper can't change that.

sorry to strike on one of your pet peeves bouche. pet peeves are weird.. they strike a bad chord with the recipient when the user by no means intends to strike that chord. i find them weird.. people who lick their fingers drives me insane.

but $15 a month x however many people, is a good chunk of change that is no longer being re-distributed for the greater good.

you don't consider possible reinvestment into the economy for the greater good? i do.

what, $15 is too much to pass around to your neighbours?

can't say much here guigsy. good point.