Jambands.ca

Zappa Plays Zappa: Hummingbird Centre June 16

balogna pogna

From the official Zappa page:

Featuring Dweezil & Ahmet Zappa, Steve Vai etc.

AUTHENTIC: This is the first OFFICIAL presentation of Frank Zappa Music since the Composer himself departed for his final tour in 1993.

AUTHORITATIVE: Having mastered QUITE A BIT of the most challenging repertoire ever conceived for a Rock & Roll stage, ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA brings it to the road. The Tour de Frank launches in Spring 2006 for the ever-popular hygienic European version following final finishing touches in Iceland!

I see Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio, and Napoleon Murphy Brock as guest musicians - I didn't recognise the names of the core band (though Joe Travers seems dimly familiar) -

The core band will consist of Joe Travers on Drums, Pete Griffin on Bass, Aaron Arntz on Keyboards & Vocals, Scheila Gonzales on Horns, Keyboards & Vocals, Billy Hulting on Melodic Percussion and Jamie Kime on Rhythm Guitar. I will be playing lead guitar and possibly do some vocals as well.

My presumption, though, is that they are totally not slouches.

Out of curiousity, did some checking as I wasn't familiar with the names either.

Peter Griffith: from his bio.

Graduating in 2001 with a B.A. in Music, Griffin immediately moved to Los Angeles. Eventually, he began to work at the Musician's Institute as a teacher's assistant, as well as attending every audition he heard about. After playing a few shows with Save Ferris's Monique Powell, Griffin began to play bass for Hanson in 2003, touring the US and Asia in 2004 and appearing on several TV shows including The Tonight Show, The Today Show, and Good Morning America. In 2005 Pete played on Hanson's live album "Live and Electric," in addition to playing a few shows with the Edgar Winter Band. In early 2006 Pete was picked to play for the Zappa Plays Zappa tour with Dweezil Zappa, Steve Vai and others.

http://www.petegriffin.info/pblog/

He talks about the rehersals for this also. Sounds like its goin be somthing to see if you ask me. Hopefully I can score a ticket.

Joe Travers

Joe Travers played drums on Rich Robinson (he of the Black Crowes)'s solo tour a couple years ago. I remember looking him up at the time and seeing that he had played in "Z" featuring both Ahmet and Dweezil.

This sounds like a sweet tour, but I'm already reading the language of $100 tickets: "Accept no subsitutes" "The first OFFICIAL presentation of Zappa's music since 1993" etc.