Jambands.ca

FAREED HAQUE GROUP May 26 06 (review)

StoneMtn

[blurb]So, this show was unbelievable! I had an amazing time, and I am so glad I drove down to Vancouver for this.

I travelled down with two good friends from Whistler. At the show I ran into at least two dozen of the very kind folks who I really don't get to see enough of; given the way I hibernate up here in the mountains.[/blurb]

Upstream Entertainment is hilarious. Last week, in the Georgia Straight, an article was published that I never did see. Apparently, whatever it said, that article caused a whole bunch of ... well .. uh ... different types to come out to this show (hereinafter referred to as the "Jazz Snob Lameos"). The Jazz Snob Lameos had heard that the doors were opening at 8:00, so they dutifully arrived at 7;45, for a prompt 8:00 start. Of course, they all sat down, and expected everyone else to do the same. My friend from Upstream, before anyone arrived, realized that the Jazz Snob Lameos were about to get a bit of a shock. He actually walked around and tried to convince them all to take their money back and leave (JUST PICTURE THIS!) because they didn't know what they were in for. They wouldn't go.

Fareed saved the day. He and Upstream agreed to start the show early, and play a mellow, tabla-inspired, equanimitous first set. He figured that should be good enough for the Jazz Snob Lameos who would likely leave before 11:00 anyway. The set was so mellow (until the final song) that I could barely remain on my feet, let alone dance, and it gave the Jazz Snob Lameos ample opportunity to tap many of us on the shoulder and ask us to move so they could continue to sit and see the show unobstructed.

By the time "Singh Song" was played to close first set, though, the Regulars had had enough, and everyone got up and boogied like crazy. The Jazz Snob Lameos mostly looked shocked. Some, though, grew some guts and coolness and actually just huddled their little round tables together, while freaks squashed them together from every side, gyrating and jumping all over them. The (few newly cool) Jazz Snob Lameos burst into big smiles, and a couple even stood up to boogie. The rest of them left.

Second set was mindblowing. Deke from Upstream walked around as the set was about to come on and told all of us "They (Jazz Snob Lameos) had their set. Now, feel free to get in front of anyone and do whatever you want." It was on.

The set was incredible. High energy Indian vibes. One of the two tabla players, unfortunately, had gotten food poisoning, so he didn't come back when second set started, but somehow he dragged himself back to the stage halfway through, and closed the set looking a bit green, but with a big smile. I was so impressed.

The show went to about 1:00 and then a generous encore. This show was fantastic. Very different than Garaj Mahal; and equally amazing.

Fareed: Thank you as always. Fareed Haque Group: You blew my mind. Upstream Entertainment: You know I love ya!

Well well well...here i am and here i go.

As far as getting friends to get out on time, last night was no exception. I bend and twist and sway in the breeze if my buddies blow their 'just another few minutes' hot air at me. Long story short, I got there for the end of the first set. We get to the door and pay our $20 cover to expect to be blown away by this so called gift. Fareed Haque...

...What is there to say about a Jazz Prof that sits down to play his guitar all night?

BB King is a legend and has to sit down to play. Fareed isn't old and fat and it was apparent to me when the last song of the second set was the most lively and energetic - and lacked in the wankery department.

Most of the show was centered. I will admit that I heard little aimless playing, but I heard and saw cues between the bass player and Fareed, and some of the other players that made me appreciate how they were in the moment. That being stated, I went to the media club expecting far more.

I can't say that I've ever heard a garaj mahal show/album track that has made me want to see a show. I can say that I have heard some fareed haque prior to going that really made me want to spend my money on this show. I can now say that I will want to hear more than one example of a band/bandleader to entice my friends to come along with me to a concert. Lucky for the night that nobody seemed to be as let down as I felt after spending the night watching an academic show off his feel with a band that wasn't all at his level.

I can't say that anybody was bad but there was Fareed, an indian string (like a violin - at a loss for words here) instrumentalist, and one of the 2 tabla players felt to me that they were at an even plateau with oneanother.

The drummer was definitely not in sync with any eastern directions that could have taken this band and this crowd places that an eastern-centered band should be able to.

The highlights of the night were the funkier, more soulful songs, and to me that is not the direction a band of traditional indian musicians needs to go. It's great that they might be opening their horizons to the west, but to my sensibilities, eastern music has so much potential to take people higher while this show definitely took higher people.

I had a decent night but some key issues I had were the make up of the band, the lack of giddy up (i'm still trying to not compare vancouver audiences to home but i can't get over the lack of energy crowds have here...and it's really rubbing off on me), and really weak sound.

Now I understand that a small room shouldn't be pushed too hard (sorry to be a hypocrite re: elements sound) but this is a band that needed some oomph. Fareed's tone was weak and jazz nerdy. The bass player was using an octave pedal but it sounded like a filter/eq. the tabla players were at least sent through to not compete for tone...I can't say much about the drummer's sound when he was pretty one dimensional.

aah yes...a counter. One of the violinist's songs was featured - it was in 6/4 and what happened? a static drum beat that seemed more clever than expressive.

Sorry to talk crap about a show that a lot of people seemed to really really like, but I'm picky. I know I'm not writing and putting out product to put my money where my mouth is, but right now I don't really have a lot of money so $20 for a lacklustre show is a real piss off for me.

If I had my way I'd have switched the Coalition of the willing (skerik/previte/hunter/benevento) from Richard's to the media club and I'd have thrown fareed into Dick's. FHG needed a serious system while the coalition are all GREAT players while only a few of the FHG shone through.

the Coalition would have torn a new asshole out of the media club while the FHG just slinked downstairs and hid to play their show.

Worth my time but not my money and not my praise.

I was so glad to see stonemtn, keither, jefferey, and all my other friends that made it.

didn't get a chance to say hi spudly...but hi!

can't wait for ben harper tomorrow!

I really enjoyed this show. I wasn't sure what time the show was going to start, so I got there around 9PM and they told me that Fareed was going on at 9:30, so I went for abit of walk and got back around 9:20. Grabbed the last stool that was available, close to the board. I needed to sit for much of the show as I was pretty tired. I thought that the crowd was sort of weird when I first got there - no heads, older, pretty conservative looking crowd. The show started at about 9:45, and the place was still pretty empty, but filled up throughout the set. Fareed has the fastest hands that I have ever seen - it's amazing watching him.

The sound guy was having trouble all night. There were no stop monitor problems he ahd to deal with. The sound was less than perfect, but It didn't impede my enjoyment of the show. I thought that the mix of Eastern and Jam music was actually quite cool. That was a violin - played by Kala Ramnath who also did vocals. I've never seen anything like that live and being able to watch her from that close was great.

There was a dude from Bellingham (Russ, was his name IIRC) that taped the show. Gave him my card and I'm hoping that he sends me a copy.

Second set / encore was about 2 hrs long. ended at 1:25.

StoneMtn: what a great review...made me laugh. I've had that experiecne too many times to count (being the head in a non-heady music crowd)

sounds like the kinda of show I'd have loved. Dave and I saw numerous local jaw-dropping tabla and sitar performances during our trek through India (and luckily in many places where bhang lassis and sweet hash balls were legal!!!)

can you direct me to any recordings of FHG...you've definitley piqued my interest!

I actually don't have any FHG shows, myself. I'm sure that someone else here, though, can hook you up.

(I have a DVD, which I'll make a you a copy of one day, but all my DVDs are temporarily put away in storage at a rented unit while we do some renovations. In fact, 95% of my CDs are in storage too ... which really gives me a very unsettling feeling ... startin' to lose it!)

I love this shit. This sort of jazz snob (ultra quiet decorum, pompous to a fault, likely non-drinkers, non-drug users) versus head breakdown occurs at Guelph Jazz Fest all the time. Although there it's all jazz snobs versus say me.

Sounds like an experience we had here in Calgary a couple years back:

Stephen Franke and the Noises were playing a local jazz club for some city festival going on (maybe jazzfest, i don't know). We crashed our way in, about eight of us all in total, and were out numbered by the jazz snobs. I think we were even told "we're full" but pretended not to hear it and went in anyhow....no tables left, where do these guys think they're going?? We all ordered drinks, two at a time and proceded to yell, and boogie in the walkways. We got our fair share of eyes and taps and I can remember old StevO liking what he saw from the stage :) A couple nights prior to this event a buddy of mine had a run in with the bouncer, calling him a "fucking meathead" to his face in the midst of proclaiming his list of injustices that just been laid on him...havn't been back to the club since. The Beatnik Jazz Club....stuffy as hell.