Jambands.ca

Southern ON friends: Kim Mitchell on Q107?

MarcO

The routine here at work is we stream WMVY radio (Martha's Vineyard) in the morning and then go to Q107 in the afternoons to pick up the pace a little. They are both agreeable middle grounds for my co-worker and I, a good arrangement.

but I gotta say, against my better judgment, I have become a bona fide fan of Kim Mitchell's afternoon show on the Mighty Q. He's no longer the hesitant bumbler he was when he first started. It's not like he's re-inventing the wheel here, and they still manage to program the same predictable sets they have for years on the Q, but that's not his fault. I love it when he speaks of some of the musicians in some bands I'm not even interested in, just because the stories are interesting and occasionaly hilarious - see Trooper, April Wine, Chilliwack etc. And he's pretty enthusiastic about his rock music in a genuine way.

I dig him.

Any thoughts on his show?

He's grown on me a little too. But I find it pretty funny when he lumps himself in (grant it, often in a roundabout way) with other guitar legends. He tries to make it sound like he's being modest, but he fails to pull it off.

His opinion on Bob Dylan is pretty funny. He thinks he's crotchety. Probably not too far off of the mark.

i've never heard the show.. but he's from merlin.. which is five minutes from here.. i've seen him countless times in the past.. i think he's played every local beer festival around.

"patio lanterns" however, drives me f'ing insane.

Edited by Guest

I don't have any problem with Kim The Aging Rocker choosing a different yet releated career path - he's a pretty good DJ. It's just that the "Mighty Q" sucks major ass.

yup, I pretty much agree except: it could suck even harder (see Hamilton's Y108 for proof) and his enthusiasm makes for fun listening.

but right now they are playing "White Wedding" by Billy Idol. [color:purple]What an original and left-field choice! I hope they play Zeppelin soon (it's been almost twenty minutes!) :o

I don't have any problem with Kim The Aging Rocker choosing a different yet releated career path - he's a pretty good DJ. It's just that the "Mighty Q" sucks major ass.

yup' date=' I pretty much agree except: it could suck even harder (see Hamilton's Y108 for proof) and his enthusiasm makes for fun listening.

but right now they are playing "White Wedding" by Billy Idol. [color:purple']What an original and left-field choice! I hope they play Zeppelin soon (it's been almost twenty minutes!) :o

What about some Eagles or Rush?

yup' date=' I pretty much agree except: it could suck even harder (see Hamilton's Y108 for proof) and his enthusiasm makes for fun listening.

but right now they are playing "White Wedding" by Billy Idol. [color:purple']What an original and left-field choice! I hope they play Zeppelin soon (it's been almost twenty minutes!) :o

What about some Eagles or Rush?

nope, now he's playing........ Max Webster! :o:o:o

"Happiness is beginning to rise" > cool chorus-effect guitar riff.

i always thought max webster was trying to copy rush's sound.

Probably; I always figured they were nice and complementary (like, say, the Hip had that sound of virtually every other band I used to hear in Kingston).

I assume they used to play together a bit, too, though that was all a bit before my time. There's even that tune they recorded together, the name of which eludes me, and which I haven't heard since, well, probably the last time I drove through Toronto and had Q107 on ;).

I assume they used to play together a bit, too, though that was all a bit before my time. There's even that tune they recorded together, the name of which eludes me

the tune you're thinking of is BattleScar.

and im pretty sure they used to tour quite a bit together, max opening, obviously.

Battle Scar is a fucking wicked tune!

Didn't they have two drummers in Max Webster as well? I seem to remember my brother 10-year-older feeding me such propaganda as a tot. Maybe that was just on one of the live albums.