Jambands.ca

The Grateful Dead Trivia Thread

The Chameleon

There is one Skank has made a direct song request of/to a member of the Dead at a Dead show and had that song played. Further, it was a show opener. Who was the Skank, which show (date & venue) was it, and what was the song?

Aloha,

Brad

I'm totally guessing but was it Rory (Gratefully deadicated), asking Bobby to play Help/slip/Franklin a the Holloween Ratdog show at the Dock's in Toroto this year. Rory opened that show?

:crazy:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont be fooled by Hux's 'wishful thinking' for actuality. He relayed the story to me much differently.

;)

None the less, I'll go with Hux calling Jack Straw for the hell in a bucket.

On to the trivia:

When Phil Lesh joined the band, who did he replace?

Apparently someone who sucked and needed to be told what to play, but I can't recall the name.

I do remember Jerry's only advice during the lesson from him that Phil demanded - "It's like a guitar, but without the top two strings." That was it; Phil figured in the end it opened up the instrument for him without any preconceptions of how it should be played.

Somebody else at the time gave him some good advice, too - "Don't play an open string unless you really mean it."

[color:blue]Phil lesh replaceed Dana Morgan in the Warlock's after the Warlocks first few gigs at Magoo's Pizza Parlour in Menlo Park California.

I think that, that makes Phils' first show 06/18/65 or somewhere around that date.

I have some old '65 Warlock Magoo's tapes, really raw but fun as hell

Edited by Guest

Phil lesh replaceed Dana Morgan in the Warlock's after the Warlocks first few gigs at Magoo's Pizza Parlour in Menlo Park California.

Dana Morgan Jr

but close enough..........I'll give it to you based on our earlier episode.

;)

You're up beeyotch!

GREAT pics Alabama Man.

Okay, I think they played Seneca College in 1977, and then otherwise it was just Maple, Ontario (Kingswood at Canada's Wonderland) in 1984 and 1987.

I'm not cheating by doing an online search, and I'm dying to check and see if I'm right, but I think that's my answer.

EDIT TO ADD:

Okay, I just noticed that you posted a poster of an Okeefe Centre show. I now know that I'm already at least that much wrong...

Edited by Guest

Nine times, I think:

07/31/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/01/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/02/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/03/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/04/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/05/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

07/08/69 Rock Pile - Toronto, Ontario

06/27/70 Canadian National Exhibition Hall - Toronto, Ontario

11/02/77 Field House, Seneca College - Toronto, Ontario

If you throw in the Kingswood show, it's ten. At the Rockpile, they did an early and a late show, so if you count both, it's eleven. Throw in the free show in the park during the Festival Express, and it's twelve.

Edited by Guest
Can't count.

Nine times, I think:

07/31/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/01/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/02/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/03/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/04/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

08/05/67 O'Keefe Center - Toronto, Ontario

07/08/69 Rock Pile - Toronto, Ontario

06/27/70 Canadian National Exhibition Hall - Toronto, Ontario

11/02/77 Field House, Seneca College - Toronto, Ontario

If you throw in the Kingswood show, it's ten. At the Rockpile, they did an early and a late show, so if you count both, it's eleven. Throw in the free show in the park during the Festival Express, and it's twelve.

I'm gona give it to the hammer here he;'s very close. The offical number is 11, all the ones he listed are correct and the coronation park show counts as well. Kingswood shows are not counted as Kinswood resides in Maple, On.

So you are the big monkey now ask a question.... :)