Jambands.ca

Just Curious - Please Answer With Honesty...

can-o-phish

i'm not looking for excuses. the fact is, I cannot purchase ever single cd that is out there. sometimes I will download a some inferior mp3's without packaging and this always goes back to the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway so there is no real loss". I'm mostly downloading live stuff that is being recorded by theiving audience members.

So it's okay not to pay for something that you can't afford? Not to pick on you, but you said above that you didn't purchase several Radiohead albums, but you listen to them frequently - so how do those albums fall under the "wouldn't have bought it anyway" category?

We don't need every album ever made - but we'd sure like to have them all if we could. We don't need Maytag dryers either since we could hang our clothes on the clothesline, but they sure are nice to have.

if there was a used Maytag dryer on the side of the road, it would be picked up in no time.

But people aren't finding these albums discarded on the side of the road, are they? We can't make copies of Maytag dryers and leave them all over the place for anyone who wants one to pick up whenever they want - or whenever they can't afford to pay for one.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not looking for excuses. the fact is' date=' I cannot purchase ever single cd that is out there. sometimes I will download a some inferior mp3's without packaging and this always goes back to the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway so there is no real loss". I'm mostly downloading live stuff that is being recorded by theiving audience members.[/quote']

So it's okay not to pay for something that you can't afford? Not to pick on you, but you said above that you didn't purchase several Radiohead albums, but you listen to them frequently - so how do those albums fall under the "wouldn't have bought it anyway" category?

We don't need every album ever made - but we'd sure like to have them all if we could. We don't need Maytag dryers either since we could hang our clothes on the clothesline, but they sure are nice to have.

if there was a used Maytag dryer on the side of the road, it would be picked up in no time.

But people aren't finding these albums discarded on the side of the road, are they? We can't make copies of Maytag dryers and leave them all over the place for anyone who wants one to pick up whenever they want - or whenever they can't afford to pay for one.

He's right you know!

We're not talking about finding a little pile of Radiohead CD's on the side of the road. We're talking about actively downloading copyrighted material. Not exactly "finders keepers".

I think the washing machine analogy would be better if the scenario included the customer laying down $5000 grand to attend a 2 hour Maytag seminar. (Assuming a ratio something like $15 CD : $150 concert ticket; $500 washing machine : $5000 to attend seminar).

I've got through boughts of downloading music. Mostly live shows. I really haven't accumulated much new music period in the last little while.

Usually when I download an album, I'm curious and want to check them out. After downloading an album if I really like it, I'll keep my eye out and buy their cd eventually... Like most I'd much prefer to buy the cd from the actual band.

I do however also prescribe to the music on the side of the road theory. Music is out there sitting in the internet. I don't really think is necessarily wrong for taking it. If a stack of cd's was sitting on the side of the road, with a sign that says free music, many people would help themselves. Now the bigger question is how did that music get there? If someone robbed a store and stole all those cd's and left them sitting there, they definitley commited a crime. It's like the person who rips and album and posts it online for people to download. That's the crime right there. The maker and distributer of the stolen music. Maybe downloading it is still wrong, but it's just sitting out there for everyone to check out.

My opinion is that if you want to download something to check out, you are going to get turned onto a lot of new music. When you find stuff you dig, support the band, buy their cd, see their concert, whatever...

I don't copy friends store bought cd's, I always felt wierd about that. If they paid for it, why should I just copy it off them for free?

We live in an age where you can preview almost any music purchase. But if you like it, you should buy it. If you already own the cd, there is nothing wrong with downloading another format of it.