Jambands.ca

a question for oink folks.

timouse

i'm at a week and a half and my share ratio is 0.147. it seems as though there are way more seeders than leechers on oink. i'm currently seeding a band show, but no takers.

on dime i have like a 2.8 ratio...this seems way harder than it should be.

have others had the same experience?

It is hard to get a good ratio on OiNK! I'll never understand it.. My ratio has been stuck around 1.5 for the past 7 months or so, despite attempts to bring it up. BUT, I have also in time realized that, once your ratio is at about 1.0, there isn't any point in bringing it up. It doesn't get you anything... Maybe some more invites, but they come anyway in time.

That said, I see your ratio is still a bit low. There was a recent OiNK thread with some good suggestions on how to boost your ratio.

I agree with Basher's tatic. From time to time grab a hot torrent, whether you like it or not and just leave it going for a week or so. That's how I've kept my head above water. That and I keep everything I download seeded for at least a week after I get it. If something seems to be leached a fair bit from my list of seeds I keep it on longer.

Just my two cents

I don't find it hard at all. I haven't actually uploaded something from scratch yet either.

- find a popular torrent that you think sucks, click on it and let it seed until there is no activity.

- make sure that there are more seeders than leechers

- don't download anything that is really big unless it is popular. those discographies will kill your ratio

- be sure to use the leecher column as your sort and that will help you find the latest popular torrents (they may not be popular for more than a day)

- if your ratio is around 1.0 - start repairing it. You won't get kicked off if you drop below, but over time, if you don't keep it up, you'll eventually let it slide to an unmanagable ratio.

stop being a leecher and upload some goods

yeah, that's the point. Being a leecher really just means that you click on everything cool without taking a look at the DEMAND of the torrents. Make sure people demand what you're clicking on. Eventually, you're ratio will allow you to download those other torrents that the masses don't care about.

I'm not on oink, but, I find this is the best way to get a great ratio. And this is just going by how the program was designed to work.

Jump on new torrents, ideally when there is only the original uploader/seed. You actually share more with less seeders then leeches. More seeders gets it to you faster, but can take longer to give back, the later you jump on the more you run the risk of finishing as the torrent is getting less new leeches.

When I jump on a brand new torrent, I find by the time its done, I've already reached a 1:1 ratio and if the number of leeches is still greater then seeds, I'm going to end up sharing even more, in turn increasing my ratio quicker. But when I jump on late to a torrent (eg: 50-100 seeds vs. 1-25 leeches) I get the download fast but don't share as much seeing as the majority of data is drawn from the seeders, not other leeches (me), in turn making it harder & alot longer to increase the ratio past a 1:1.

Currently, I have two DVDs downloading which I jumped on within the first half hour it showed up:

#1 @ 51.1% complete with a ratio of 1.36 (1 seed vs. 186 leeches)

#2 @ 45% complete with a ratio of .987 (3 seeds vs. 113 leeches)

Of course, creating, uploading & seeding a torrent yourself is by far the best & easiest way to increase your ratio.

My observations anyway and since may I've downloaded 59.3 GB & uploaded 80.5 GB, so it seems to work for me.

stop being a leecher and upload some goods

that's what i'm doing :) thanks for the advice everyone, i'm now at 0.485 and climbing. david suzuki's "naked ape to superspecies" seems to be a big hit...the Band from 1996 not so much...

oh well, at least i won't get the boot yet.

edit to add... 0.664 and climbing. the band torrent finally took off.

thanks for all your advice, everyone. BT is a strange and mysterious thing...

Edited by Guest