Jambands.ca

How has the GST cut changed your life?

bouche

all other political concerns aside, it absolutely MIND BOGGLES me that people are bitching about saving money-- no matter how much money it is!!!!!!!!!!!! damn.. i keep being brought back to the old dinner table as a kid, when i'd refuse to eat the rest of my dinner and get in shit from my parents because of all the kids in the world who couldn't even afford to eat, and that i should be thankful. i think the same lesson could apply here (all other political concerns aside, that is).

I guess you missed my point. Things are actually costing MORE! I'm completey sick of the "a penny is a penny" crap. Think about that "finish your meal" thing you were brought up with. That is the biggest load of crap fed to children on the planet. If you're full, you're full.

There's no wonder North America is over weight. They're brought up with the concept of OVEREATING.

We're over-taxed and over-fed.

brutal! i just logged on to bmo.ca and my paycheck is $4 less! i think bouche makes more money than me! ;)

i don't understand why retailers would raise the cost of something like a chocolate bar to make up for the GST cut, though... why? to make it easier on them when giving change?

brutal! i just logged on to bmo.ca and my paycheck is $4 less! i think bouche makes more money than me! ;)

i don't understand why retailers would raise the cost of something like a chocolate bar to make up for the GST cut, though... why? to make it easier on them when giving change?

Yep, them convenience stores, for instance love the convenience of a looney. Actually so does them $5 beer vendors at bluesfest.

I think that's the main reason, especially on things that are often/usually bought singly. As well, there are a lot of things you buy that have all the taxes built in, such as newspapers and soft drinks when they're dispensed from vending machines. Rather than re-rig the machines to some weird price (that's not a multiple of $0.05 or $0.25), they just up the base cost a penny or so.

However, I bought a coffee this afternoon at a the office building connected to the corporate campus, and last week, it was $1.35, while today is was $1.34, so not all retailers are upping the base prices. The company cafeteria did the same thing: it used to be that soup was $1.70, but now it's $1.69.

Aloha,

Brad

Think about that "finish your meal" thing you were brought up with.

Actually, in my limited experiences around parents, they are simply trying to ensure that the child gets a healthy portion of nutrients, rather than eat whatever junk and candy they can get their hands on................

As far as I have seen, it isnt about 'finishing' at all.

"Eat the rest of those vegetables and you can have a little bit of chocolate milk."

Edit to add: Sorry for sidetracking

Edited by Guest

but in my post i specifically mentioned twice, 'all other political concerns aside'

a) considering tax breaks have nothing to do with anything but politics, i dont know how you cant take that into account.

i think it has everything to do with this.. it's about being thankful for what you have... no matter how miniscule it is.. ie, one more bite... ie, one more penny. there are people in the world who don't have that penny or that bite.

B) indifference for saving does not equal ungratefulness for having.

i guess the fundamental difference of opinion here is that you celebrate the fact that you saved one more penny because someone else may not have it, while i'd rather someone else had the penny altogether - which is essentially what i am saying.

if you're full, why plough it down? send the leftovers to someone who needs it.

take our collective pennies and put it to good use. yeah yeah, i heard what you specifically said twice... but i think impossible not to politicize a tax break.

no, it just didn't DECREASE and put that big ol penny in my pocket.

I'm also wildly speculating that the Cafe dropped the pop because of GST cut somehow. I've read that retaillers and restaurants are complaining of the costs of printing new menues and rerigging the cash registers. So, I plan to ask him if there was an effect on his business due to the cut.

yep booche.. it was always brussel sprouts or parsnips or some nasty veggie/ketchup concoction that my 7 yr old brain thought would taste good that was left on the plate. and the threatening voice was no veggies, no dessert.

the starving children line was just an added bonus to teach your kids to be thankful for what they have.

i guess the fundamental difference of opinion here is that you celebrate the fact that you saved one more penny because someone else may not have it, while i'd rather someone else had the penny altogether - which is essentially what i am saying.

entirely not fair guigsy! you're putting words into my mouth here! my point has been to be thankful for having a penny, if you have one that is. i said nothing about where that penny might be better served AT ALL.

i think it has everything to do with this.. it's about being thankful for what you have... no matter how miniscule it is.. ie, one more bite... ie, one more penny. there are people in the world who don't have that penny or that bite

i guess the fundamental difference of opinion here is that you celebrate the fact that you saved one more penny because someone else may not have it

entirely not fair guigsy! you're putting words into my mouth here!

i do believe you put those words there, not me.

i suppose that's a different way of thinking about it there guigsy.. but then, with that reasoning, is it a BAD thing to be thankful for what you have?

if so, that's gonna shake my whole friggin' belief system to it's very core.

edit to add: and just to get it out there, i'm not 'celebrating' someone not having something. i really didn't mean to imply that, and i'm sorry that it's come across as so.

Edited by Guest

i wouldnt say it's a bad thing necessarily - but being thankful for an overabundance of something while others have none kinda is, in my mind.

"wow, am i ever thankful i have that extra 'whatever', especially cuz that guy over there has none..."

and what we're talking about here is that "extra" bit of savings. i dont think anyone who wasnt getting by on 7% is all of the sudden gonna start getting by on 6%, know what i mean? if they couldnt get by on 7%, chances are they arent in the bracket that this 1% reduction is designed to make a tangible difference for.

ok... i agree with you about the extra bit of savings, and the getting by. you're right.

but i do really think it's important to feel thankful for what you have, even in light of a world that may not have as much as you. if you're not thankful, than you're gluttonous and wasteful. you have and you have and you have, and you waste and you waste and you waste, because there's nothing in you that makes you think, 'wow, i am truly blessed'.

i do see what you're saying though.. and appreciate your thoughts. and on this note, i'm out.. it's six o'clock on friday night and it's finally the f'ing weekend! peace guigsy.

if you're not thankful, than you're gluttonous and wasteful. you have and you have and you have, and you waste and you waste and you waste, because there's nothing in you that makes you think, 'wow, i am truly blessed'.

that's a terrible, and way off-base assumption.

and again, it's not about not being thankful, like i said, being indifferent towards a saving does not equate ungratefulness for what you already have.

sometimes people feel genuinely guilty about their place in the world and what their society has collectively done (or not done) to other societies.

peace.

yah ok i'll admit that was an overly large assumption on my part.. and i'll take it back. i have a problem with getting carried away sometimes.. sorry.

i see where you're coming from and respect it. and i know in my heart that i'm of no evil will towards others nor do i think are you, so i'm just gonna let this GST cut thread #18 million fizzle out for me. i think we've chatted this one out before.. last man standing styles, or at least it's felt like it. :) have a good weekend.