Jambands.ca

How has the GST cut changed your life?

bouche

I really should have collected data on my weekly spending patterns before June 30th.

I do know that the Cafe Zucchero where we get a sandwich, soup and drink combo used to cost 8.00 and today it was 7.93

Well, they also got rid of the free drink so this lunch cost more money! The reasons aren't known why they got rid of the drink, but BEFORE june 30th, there were free drinks. I'll ask next time I'm there and I'll bet it's GST related somehow.

NExt, I went to the convenience store on the way back for a soda and wondered how much they'd charge. Before june 30th, it was punched in at 87 cents and it would come to a nice round shiny looney. Today, it was punched in a 88 cents and came to a nice round shiny LOONEY!

I asked the lady why they're charging more, and she just said that they added 1 cent to the drinks so it would come to a dollar.

So, since the GST cut, things are costing ME more.

This lunch that used to cost 8 even, now costs $8.93. I'm going to be very attentive to everything I buy from now on AND ask questions.

I'd like to read some of your observations on life after the GST cut.

my life is completely changed. I save 1 penny on each coffee (the only thing I've been able to afford lately). At this rate, in one years time I will have saved a wopping $3.65. Incredible I tell you. I don't think the GST cut applies to poor folk, just those that can afford to actually buy things.

booze has officially gone up DUE to the GST cut.

from CBC

Taxes on alcohol have risen to offset the impact of the GST/HST cut. Overall, the alcohol duty is designed to be revenue-neutral. For example, on a typical 24-pack of 341-ml bottles of beer, the increase amounts to 26 cents. For a typical 750-ml bottle of wine, the increase amounts to about 8 cents.

The lowest personal tax rate — the rate applied to the first $36,378 of income — rose by half a percentage point to 15.5 per cent on July 1. The 15 per cent rate introduced by the Liberals in November 2005 will apply on income earned from Jan. 1, 2005 to June 30, 2006.

[color:purple]Sweet, so I don't save anything from the GST cut because I can't spend but I get a nice tax raise to balance it off. And this one's great too:

And the basic personal exemption — the amount Canadians can earn before paying income tax — has been cut. It rose from $8,648 in 2005 to $9,039 for the first six months of 2006. After July 1, it is cut by $400 to make for a one-year average of $8,839.

[color:purple]Thanks government

i just saved 1% on the $25,000 worth of furnature i just bought for my house. it saved me a whopping $250 whice the salesman already gave me way more then that off. I also bout a tv that retailed for $8000. got it for $6500, and then saved the extra 1% on the gst.

as far as i can tell its not really a big deal, considering if your spending enough money for it to astually matter, chances are that the person selling it will give you more then 15 of if you just ask.

I dont know if i payed gst on the house i just bought. but i'm sure if i did that would be pretty good.

Im also looking at a new boat, after my last one sank, I'll probably save about another $500 0n that

overall it doesn't really seem to matter

Saving 1% on all corporate purchases may help me get a sweeter year-end bonus.

I manage a multi-million dollar budget. My bonus is based on a lot of things, but the majority of it is based on whether I can stick to the budget. Saving 1% on all corporate purchases is a huge deal to me. It only helps.

In my day to day life though? Meh.

all other political concerns aside, it absolutely MIND BOGGLES me that people are bitching about saving money-- no matter how much money it is!!!!!!!!!!!! damn.. i keep being brought back to the old dinner table as a kid, when i'd refuse to eat the rest of my dinner and get in shit from my parents because of all the kids in the world who couldn't even afford to eat, and that i should be thankful. i think the same lesson could apply here (all other political concerns aside, that is).

well, in mike's case, as he pointed out, he's not bitching because he's saving money, he's bitching because the tax REDUCTION is costing him more because of how some retailers are adjusting for it - which IS happening.

im not bitching about saving a penny on my coffee. the fact is, i dont really care either way if i save a penny on my coffee or not. in fact, i would have rather not saved the money if it meant that a tax reduction that was more fair to ALL canadians (not just the ones who can afford to make it worthwhile) was put in place.

it has nothing to do with eating all your food because someone else had none - if you're full, why plough it down? send the leftovers to someone who needs it.

Its not so mind boggling to me to think that all of the pennies that the millions of us are saving could be far better used by the government as a huge revenue. I would gladly pay the extra 1%.

(please, no "government is corrupt and waste everything they get" arguments)

2 cents from me to you

(have a great weekend everybody, I am going the fark home)

Its not so mind boggling to me to think that all of the pennies that the millions of us are saving could be far better used by the government as a huge revenue. I would gladly pay the extra 1%.

(please, no "government is corrupt and waste everything they get" arguments)

2 cents from me to you

(have a great weekend everybody, I am going the fark home)

Exactly what I was thinking.

You have yourself a good weekend too Chris.

im not bitching about saving a penny on my coffee. the fact is, i dont really care either way if i save a penny on my coffee or not. in fact, i would have rather not saved the money if it meant that a tax reduction that was more fair to ALL canadians (not just the ones who can afford to make it worthwhile) was put in place.

i'd agree, depending upon the expenditure that is. but in my post i specifically mentioned twice, 'all other political concerns aside'.

it has nothing to do with eating all your food because someone else had none - if you're full, why plough it down? send the leftovers to someone who needs it.

i think it has everything to do with this.. it's about being thankful for what you have... no matter how miniscule it is.. ie, one more bite... ie, one more penny. there are people in the world who don't have that penny or that bite.

i think it has everything to do with this.. it's about being thankful for what you have... no matter how miniscule it is.. ie, one more bite... ie, one more penny. there are people in the world who don't have that penny or that bite.

I think bouche's point is that the GST cut is COSTING him more money. He has nothing miniscule to be thankful for.

NExt, I went to the convenience store on the way back for a soda and wondered how much they'd charge. Before june 30th, it was punched in at 87 cents and it would come to a nice round shiny looney. Today, it was punched in a 88 cents and came to a nice round shiny LOONEY!

I asked the lady why they're charging more, and she just said that they added 1 cent to the drinks so it would come to a dollar.

So, since the GST cut, things are costing ME more.

Let me get this right: It cost $1 before the cut, and $1 after the cut, therefore it costs you more.

Huh?

Aloha,

Brad

i think it has everything to do with this.. it's about being thankful for what you have... no matter how miniscule it is.. ie' date=' one more bite... ie, one more penny. there are people in the world who don't have that penny or that bite.[/quote']

I think bouche's point is that the GST cut is COSTING him more money. He has nothing miniscule to be thankful for.

i know ollie.. guigs drove that home for me too. my post wasn't really a reaction to what bouche was saying.. but more the 'i bought a bag of chips and saved only 2 cents' kind of comments. the 'whoopdedoos', if you will. i know that 2 cents really, REALLY ain't much.. but when i think about people who would burst into tears upon finding 2 cents, it kinda puts me into check and keeps me humble.