Jambands.ca

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (RIP Syd Barrett)

MarcO

Syd Barrett dies aged 60

Audrey Gillan

Tuesday July 11, 2006

Syd Barrett, the former lead singer of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the 60s, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.

The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from complications related to diabetes.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

Born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, he acquired the nickname Syd aged 15. He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was about to achieve worldwide recognition, and lived in the basement of his mother Winfred's semi-detached house, where he boarded up the windows to keep out the eyes of both the press and fans. He recorded two solo albums.

Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, was said by many to be a salute to him. Barrett's use of drugs, particularly LSD, in the 60s, was well-documented and he was often described as the original acid casualty.

Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist drafted in to the band during a period in which Barrett was behaving erratically, said in an interview earlier this year that he thought that Barrett's breakdown would have happened anyway.

He said: "It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."

BarrettHair.jpg

Sad news. Guess its time to dust this old gem off in honor of Syd.

firsttripsm8sb.jpg

SYNOPSIS

Before the soft acid ballads like "Dark Side of The Moon," British rock band Pink Floyd was an entirely different animal. This was largely due to the presence of musician Syd Barrett, a slightly insane, drug-addicted guitarist with a particular genius for writing psychedelic, oddly beautiful gems of songs. His mental state spiralling, Barrett left Pink Floyd in 1968, and many would argue that the band was all the worse for it. SYD BARRETT'S FIRST TRIP is an odd little short -- rare Super 8 footage (taken by his film student friend Nigel Gordon) which documents the madly brilliant man's first trip on magic mushrooms. Filmed in 1966, this footage marks Barrett's first step into the disintegrating fog of hallucinatory drugs. In addition, a video capturing Pink Floyd's 1967 signing to EMI Records -- a historic exchange which took place outside Abbey Road Studios -- is also included.

Remember when you were young

You shone like the sun.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Now there's a look in your eyes

Like black holes in the sky.

Shine on you crazy diamond

You were caught on the cross fire of childhood and stardom,

Blown on the steel breeze.

Come on you target for faraway laughter

Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon.

You cried for the moon.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Threatened by shadows at night,

and exposed in the light.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,

rode on the steel breeze.

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,

come on you painter,

you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

somimag_mai2005.jpg

Syd Barrett at Abbey Road Studios, 1975

i'll never forget trippin at the Floyd show in 94 and random folk walking by me asking, "have you seen my friend Syd"!?!?

he was quite the poet! The last couple lines to Jugband Blues (Syd's last song for Floyd; which boggles my mind it was even included on Saucerfull) always brings a chill:

"And what exactly is a dream?

And what exactly is a joke?"

-Jugband Blues, 1967

the video makes it even creepier

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uauvKDZ33Rs&search=jugband%20blues

on another note, I'd like to thank Jon Fishman for introducing me to solo Syd material. I found it peculiar that Fishman would sing Syd solo songs like Terrapin and Love You (he also performed Baby Lemonade once).

Although Floyd was my favorite group in the world in my youth, it took me a while to dip into solo Syd due to the vast amount of Floyd material. But it was all gravy once I purchased The Madcap Laughs!!!