Jambands.ca

The Sadies grace the cover of Exclaim!

AD

I really like the second disc with all the guests, but what I really want is a full length show (just the Sadies, no guests) released as a live album, or (ug) for them to allow taping.

Why the parenthetical "ug" about taping? Do think it would be a bad thing for The Sadies to allow taping?

Aloha,

Brad

No, just in some circles bands that allow taping definitely get the stereotypical 'they're a grateful dead wannabe band' stigma attached to them. Not that the band would care about the stigma, I just think they'd want to keep the live experience a live experience, especially with a live album coming out. This album should be a big moneymaker for them, as they are known for their live show, and no doubt Neko / Heavy Trash / Jayhawks / Blue Rodeo / Mekons fans will be picking this up and getting exposed to the awesomeness.

I'm not really making sense here but it's hot and i'm busy.

No, just in some circles bands that allow taping definitely get the stereotypical 'they're a grateful dead wannabe band' stigma attached to them.

I, for one, have been trying to change this, largely by getting bands like The Spades, and Mr. Something Something, into being taped and approving uploads to the Live Music Archive.

Where you get moderately nonsensical, though, is with the stigma attachment. When a person is introduced to a band, I don't think "Do they allow taping? Yes? Oh, then I don't think I want to listen to them, 'cause they're wannabe Dead band..." goes through the person's mind. When people see me taping at shows, the first question those who know what taping is ask is, "How can I download this?" (Those who don't know what taping is usually ask, "What are you doing?")

Aloha,

Brad

It's not that non-sensical. To a lot of people I know in the (ug) "Indie" world, illegal bootlegs are cool, sanctioned recording of shows is not. It's nonsensical that the idea exists I know, but nonetheless I know it does.

So, the Sadies eh? Brad, you should check 'em out at Capital on August 17. Amy Millan and others are playing as well, so come feel the hype.

Thursday, August 17

Kick Off Concert #2

The Sadies, The Agnostic Gospel Mountain Choir, Ridley Bent and Amy Millan

at the Capital Music Hall,

128 York St. (between Dalhousie and Cumberland)

9:00 p.m.

Tickets $20 advance/$24 at the door Ticket info

It's not that non-sensical. To a lot of people I know in the (ug) "Indie" world, illegal bootlegs are cool, sanctioned recording of shows is not. It's nonsensical that the idea exists I know, but nonetheless I know it does.

OK, that idea is non-sensical; it's one I've never come across. (And you have my apologies if you were in the least bit insulted.)

So, the Sadies eh? Brad, you should check 'em out at Capital on August 17. Amy Millan and others are playing as well, so come feel the hype.

Thursday, August 17

Kick Off Concert #2

The Sadies, The Agnostic Gospel Mountain Choir, Ridley Bent and Amy Millan

at the Capital Music Hall,

128 York St. (between Dalhousie and Cumberland)

9:00 p.m.

Tickets $20 advance/$24 at the door Ticket info

I may do that, largely because I haven't been to that venue, and want to see what it'll be like for the Billy Bragg show on Sept. 23 (which I hope to be recording :)).

Aloha,

Brad

Without the Sadies the Spades would have no place to hang their hats.

I have seen both these bands on numerous occasions, both apart and together and both are great bands, but make no mistake about it they are very different. Although they may at times occupy the same turf (alt-country???), they get there from very different backgrounds. The Sadies come from a bluegrass background, while The Spades come from a blues/rock background. This difference is clearly evident in the music (to most). In the many reviews i read of The Spades' Burning on Fumes album (including Exclaim! magazine), I saw references to early r 'n b artists such as The Kinks, The Yardbirds and the Animals, but absolutely none to The Sadies. If anyone can find a Sadies' influence in that piece of work, please enlighten me.

Each band has its own strengths. For me, the difference in the two bands can be found in the songwriting. As proficient as The Sadies are instrumentally (and they are indeed proficient) and as great as they are as musical interpreters (and they are indeed great), for me, they simply do not possess the same calibre of songwriting as The Spades.

I realize this is strictly a personal opinion, but, for me, it makes a big difference. In my mind, if he wasn't such a fuckin' fantastic songwriter, Ryan Adams would be just another alt-country artist with a good voice and sweet arrangements. For me, it's his songwriting that sets him apart and I believe as The Spades continue to grow and develop musically (they've released 1 album), it will do the same for them.

Just my 2 cents.

I will leave it to AD to comment on his own comment:

AD Said:

I'm actually very confused

why do i need to comment on my comment? is this good enough to be considered a comment?

you raise good points about the sadies and the spades. duly noted. i just like my opinion better than yours. :)

i still hold my belief that the Sadies opened the door for acts like the Spades, along with many others. Spades = good. Sadies = good. I just happen to think the Sadies are the best shit going and the Spades are average but getting better all the time.

big up yourselves.

ad

In regards to the Good Brothers and the Dead, the Dead bankrolled the band for their first album, James and the Good Brothers, and then sold it to Columbia (I believe). Billy K plays on the album.

Supposedly, the Good Brothers also taught Bob Weird many of his country songs along the Festival express too.

Yes sir we will be there .... should be a good one.

Passenger bring a heady funk thing witha strong focus on solid improvisation.

we'll be getting it together for a 7 person funk-rock assault that is known only to thos participants last January as

THE PASSENGERS OF THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER.

DUN DUN DUNUUUN.

It'll be a dancefest. No lawn chairs bitches.

Deeps

Are there clips of them (The Good Brothers) in the Festival Express documentary? I didn't notice the time I saw it.

From www.thegoodbrothers.com :

In 1970 Bruce and Brian met James Ackroyd and formed a band simply called James and The Good Brothers. Their first show was at Maple Leaf Gardens with Grand Funk Railroad. Then came the cross Canada tour on the outrageous Festival Express with such bands as The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Ian & Sylvia and The Band just to name a few. With a little help from friends The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, they recorded their first album on Columbia records. What excitement – the gigs at San Francisco’s famed Fillmore West, the nights at L.A.’s Troubadour with John Hammond and Tracey Nelson, the shows in Northern California with The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and The New Riders of The Purple Sage.