Jambands.ca

From The Restaurant.....

AcidNintendoOrgan

So I change the menu at my restaurant seasonally. Due to Ontario's growing seasons and as a dedication to local growers and quality. I thought what better place to try out new things than to place them on the board and have people try them and give me some feed back. (The good, bad and ugly) I should warn though that these quantities are more less (with any recipe I create) guidelines (for consistancy purposes). I don't know about you, and this is why I hate baking, I hate precision. So these are approx. amounts.

Ethiopian Scented Sweet Potato and Peanut Butter Soup

6 cups chicken stock

2 Tbsp butter

2 medium onions, diced

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp chili flakes

2 diced tomatoes

1 cup chopped sweet potatoes, peeled

1 tsp cumin

1 small piece ginger, peeled and minced

1 cinnamon stick

3 cloves, ground

2 cardamom pods

1 ½ cups peanut butter

¼ cup lime juice

Bring stock to a boil and reduce to medium heat. In a skillet melt butter and sauté onion, garlic and chili. Add tomatoes and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes. Add tomato mixture, cumin, sweet potato, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom to stock. Stir in peanut butter and lime juice. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender and purée. Garnish it however the hell you want.

Giver and let me know. Thanks - Jer

thx. We'll make that this week! I've been craving all of those aromatics.

We just made our first attempt at chicken stock over the weekend and made about 8 quarts. Tonight we tried our first bbq pork with corn noodle soup with this stock after creating soups with CANNED/TETRA PACKED broth.

I must say that the difference was instantly noticed.

So the only thing we're missing for this recipe is Sweet Potato! Although, I may need to puree the PB as we buy chunky ;)

what would you pair up this soup with?

We are marinating some chicken breast in an indian style corriander hot sauce and assuming it would go well with the soup. If I had the ingredients, I'd setup a Tandoori marinade I think, and roast the chicken pieces on the IMMENSE HEAT setting in our oven for about 15 minutes.

perhaps you would like to come work with me. how do you find the time to do this board, see shows and come up with these culinary idaes? I had to give up the touring (bands all together for that matter), and 95% of my weekends for cooking. congrats sir, you live the life I wish I could figure out!

I second that. I get one weekend every summer now. But its well worth it.

perhaps you would like to come work with me. how do you find the time to do this board, see shows and come up with these culinary idaes? I had to give up the touring (bands all together for that matter), and 95% of my weekends for cooking. congrats sir, you live the life I wish I could figure out!

B-town sounds too far, otherwise I might be willing to become an apprentice ;)

perhaps you would like to come work with me. how do you find the time to do this board' date=' see shows and come up with these culinary idaes? I had to give up the touring (bands all together for that matter), and 95% of my weekends for cooking. congrats sir, you live the life I wish I could figure out![/quote']

B-town sounds too far, otherwise I might be willing to become an apprentice ;)

Brighton Ontario. 45 Minutes west of Kingston on the 401. Right smack on lake Ontario

It's called BACI .The liquor license states Brighton Antiques Cafe Inc. And to sell booze we have to have the same name. So my partner and I just used the acro. Opened not that long ago. Going very well though. We are staring slow (getting the kinks out)but we seat 65, have done almost 0 advertising and have been averaging almost 40 per night. Open Thurs, Fri, and Sat from 5:30. Thanks for the interest

I feel like Im interviewing you lol

What style do you cook?

What style is the menu done?

What surprises are on your menu?

Is there a tasting menu?

what is the average price of a dish?

What would it cost for 2 people to have a nice meal including wine, drinks and dessert?

Maybe I should just come for dinner and review it myself. ;)

I feel like Im interviewing you lol

What style do you cook?

What style is the menu done?

What surprises are on your menu?

Is there a tasting menu?

what is the average price of a dish?

What would it cost for 2 people to have a nice meal including wine, drinks and dessert?

Maybe I should just come for dinner and review it myself. ;)

Style: Hmmm - Farm Fresh Canadian with a World Flavours Twist

Menu: Condensed 4 Apps, 5 Main (Two are veggie), 3 desserts. "Fine Dining" Whatever that means anymore. Good food I hope.

Surprises: ? Depends on what you mean. Your gonna here alot of Herbie, Jolie Holland, BNB and Scofield though. Not many places have that.

Tastings can be done for special events. Also working on a chef's table for the fall.

Average app: $6 main $16-17 dessert $5

3 course meal and winemaybe $75 for 2 people. Which I think is pretty good. We achieve this by having the world's lowest mark-up on beer and wine. Like only 50%, as compared to the 200%-300% the other places in the area do. I hope this helps. Ciao