Jambands.ca

I think the Internet may have just saved me a huge hassle

StoneMtn

I am about to move across the country. I booked a company to move my stuff, but I wasn't feeling good about them. I won't go into it, but there were enough little things that gave me pause, that I was worried.

I decided to Google them one more time today, and of all things there's a recent discussion in Vancouver about movers.

http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48303

Coincidentally, the company that I booked for this Sunday is one of the companies discussed.

I don't know if what is said on this site about the company is true or not. I'm cancelling them tomorrow, anyway, and hiring a well-known, expensive trucking company that I've heard of.

I feel relieved; like I just barely steered clear of a big mistake.

Moving rackets are just one other version of a ponzi scheme. It's ideal for corruption because you have often instantly saleable hard goods and people's precious personal items. Based on this leveraged position they are in a really dominant position to fleece people if they so desire. There are countless Canadian and American examples of these kind of rackets. I wouldn't be surprised if some form of organized crime was in the woodwork.

So, I cancelled the scam-artists this morning.

I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, too, based on the conversation:

"Oh, why are you cancelling?"

"Well, within the last two weeks someone posted online a horror-story about dealing with you for a move. Also, you wanted me to pay you cash/certified cheque/bank draft, and that seems suspicious. Also, your website is replete with spelling errors. I simply can't trust you."

"Oh, okay, thanks."

Gee. Do ya think they get calls like that every day? I suspect so, given that she wasn't remotely surprised, and didn't even try to defend her company.

I plan to live on the streets for a while. It should be a nice change.

(Actually, I'll be staying with my brother at Leslie and York Mills in Toronto, until I can buy myself a place.)

excellent. our odds of actually meeting face to face have just increased exponentially :)

Well, its better than drinking from the well that Birdy's kids drink from. That's for sure.

toilet.jpg

hah! im starting to wonder if my littl'uns are better off drinkin' from the toilet, or if they should take a note from little boocheyanne here, just waking up from her nap... hmmmm...

2003_1339.JPG