Jambands.ca

No fall nationals this year

karatespacetiger

This in from Shauna de Cartier, who manages the Rheostatics:

Hello all,

There has been much speculation as to the status of the Rheostatics and also with regards to the concert scheduled at Massey Hall next year. The following is a media statement I am about to send out. In response to many of your inquiries, there will be no Fall Nationals at the Horseshoe Tavern this year. However, the presentation of Five Hole with One Yellow Rabbit theatre in Calgary is going forward in January. I hope to see you all here in Toronto on March 30, 2007. Many thanks for your support over the years.

Shauna

StoneMtn, my guess is that the person has a regular user ID, but has rigged the "Display name" to be nothing (i.e., deleted all the characters from the "Display name" field; in My Skank -> Control Panel -> Public Profile, you can set "Display name" and "Full Name" independently).

Aloha,

Brad

Final show with this line-up

March 30, 2007: Massey Hall, Toronto, ON. Tix on sale NOW through Massey's online ticket page.

Released September 7 by Six Shooter Records.

"For the last 21 years, Rheostatics' songwriting frontline of Dave Bidini, Martin Tielli, Tim Vesely and, more currently, drummer/producer Michael Phillip Wojewoda, have helped spark and shepherd contemporary CanRock from a self-conscious sound-alike scene into a spirited universal force, leaving classic albums like Melville, Whale Music, Music Inspired by the Group of Seven, Story of Harmelodia and 2067 in their sonic wake.

"After much consternation, it has been resolved that the group's March 30th, 2007 date at Massey Hall will be the last live performance for the group as they have existed for the last two-plus decades.

"The Rheostatics may continue to persevere in one form or another in the future, but not with their current lineup intact. For fans of the group, it will be the last chance to see this band as they've appeared heretofore; one final evening with Canada's most beloved, long-standing rock band."

Six Shooter Records is exploring options for additional merriment to help commemmorate the event. Stay tuned for details.

Rheos' Dave Bidini and Martin Tielli will appear with the addition of Ford Pier and additional, as yet unnamed musicians, as part of One Yellow Rabbit's production of "Five Hole," based on Bidini's hockey erotica (see below) in January. There will be no Fall Nationals in 2007.

knowing that the rheos have been around for 21 years makes me feel really old. i remember seeing them at clintons with like three other people...

*sigh...*

Ya, really. When I was a student at York University Dave Bidini gave a friend and me his time slot at the radio station every second week ( they somehow forgot to schedule our proposed show). I remember that he was in this new band that I always wanted to check out. But I didn’t see them till years later when they were already established.

This was back in 1984-85 and the station was only broadcast by closed circuit - I think maybe 5 people were listening back then. I couldn’t even give away free movie passes one day - couldn’t get anybody to call in to the show. The show was supposed to be about local bands, with interviews etc - interviewed Dave Howard before his big move across the pond where he was gonna make it big, and Mickey Desadist (sp?) at Larry’s Hideaway. But after a while when I realized that nobody cared I just played whatever I felt like. One day I did this hardcore/punk show - probably sent people running away from central square when they heard Motorhead coming out of the speakers.

Very sad to see the end of the Rheos (as they currently exist). There show at the Black Sheep Inn a couple of years ago was one of the best shows I have ever seen (of any band). The show ended with them walking out the door, playing acoustic guitar(s), picking up some torch-lights and walking across the street and along the river, continuously playing.

...Larry’s Hideaway...

Oh, man, flashback time! Well, sort of. I was in high school 1980 - 1986 (the year I turned 19), and Larry's (aka "The Diveaway") was well known to my group of friends (out where we were in Scarborough). A buddy of mind had a band then ("The Backwoods Boogie Blues Band" or something like that), and did a gig at Larry's. I wasn't 19 yet, but borrowed my older brother's birth certificate and attempted to get in. No dice. :( I went away to school soon after, and never had the opportunity to go there again.

Aloha,

Brad