Jambands.ca

remembering 9/11

MarcO

We are living in strange times indeed. We will all be able to look back and be able to study this to the nth degree. There are fascinating sociological, political, religious, psychological changes and shifts that have been instigated by the 9/11 catalyst.

Like many people have expressed so eloquently here, the day reminds me of sadness, confusion, anger and sorrow. The knee-jerk reactions by so many people to simply solve the situation through war/nuking/etc has been really difficult to live with for these 5 years. We are just recently seeing a shift towards a larger group of the world's population tightening the nut on the US Presidency. Why the f*ck we're people so quiet for so long?

With the moronic rhetoric of Bush stating "if you're not with us, you're with the terrorists" it simplifies an unbelievably complex global situation to black and white terms. As a nation, the States had made such progress clawing it's way out of that sort of McCarthy-era mindset. But like most things involving power, they have a cyclical life. Us vs. Them movements come back. Why does nobody seem to learn from the past? Do they consciously wait for a generation, or two, to pass so it's no longer in the recent memory of the majority of voters?

I truly feel like we as a global population have taken giant steps backwards in our evolution in the last 5 years. The deaths on 9/11 are proving to be symbolic tools for politians to cling to their power. I like the fact now that seemingly everywhere I am seeing articles and documentaries seriously questioning whether or not we are any safer now than we were in 2001.

I work at the CBC and that day in 2001 was completely surreal. I will remember it as being a day where emotions and helplessness were heightened unmeasurably compared to any other day. The numbness was weird. I watched it all from the moment the news hit any airwaves. Couldn't help it being at a news station. It wasn't until I spoke with my wife that there was any thought of feeling a personal danger. She was concerned that a national broadcaster could be a target. Seemed stange, but you never know. There was no need to leave, and I felt that my place was there ... even though I wasn't really doing anything related to the newscasts.

Despite all the sadness that marks this day, I am happy that the press is finally getting off their asses and starting to question everything. The pussies were all too scared to question the US and UK governments. Sh%t spills about how our "democratic" governments are lying to us relentlessly and not really having a grip on things. It's disheartening, but their machine is able to keep the public's attention focused elsewhere ... a surreal "war" where you see no real coverage of what's going on. Demonizing a population of people based on racial stereotyping is sick, but the media helped to fuel it.

FINALLY some musicians (yes, music content ) are getting some balls and saying things!!! Ridiculous that Neil Young had to be best one so far (Neil ROCKS!) What's with the younger generation of bands out there (with big exposure)? They've seemingly been all to scared to loose their record contracts if they say anything that would offend their mother company ... pussies. My hats go off to the Dixie Chicks ... they've got BALLS. They got railroaded, but didn't give up. Talk about tenacity and conviction. Now, you're going to see it become "trendy" to stand up and say something. Just watch, you'll see it happen.

It was pathetic back in 2002 to see how the Vote For Change Tour, with a bunch of artists who decided to utilize their freedom of speech, could get such negative (if any) press. It was seen as something that didn't support a national movement. We got questioned at the border when we went to support one of the gigs in Detroit. That's another story ... but fu*k, that concert was one like no other I had ever been to because it had a common MEANING for EVERYONE there. I'm just glad I could give away 4 miracle tix to some servicemen who showed up late ... they all screamed "WE AIN'T NO FORTUNATE SON"

Anyway, I'm rambling, getting off topic, etc. It's difficult to write cohesively about this when too much stuff starts spinning around in yer head just thinking about it.

I know they say it won't ever happen, but if the US military ever enacts conscription for this unjust war, I will do anything I can to help out any brothers or sisters south of the border who need to get away.

Damn Bush and his cronies. Kharma can't come quick enough for those bastards IMHO.

*Rant off - I'm going to get a drink*

Good work on this thread skanks

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminded me of a couple of nights ago. I was watching the great Dick Cavett DVD set of rock star guests. The first one is the famous show recorded the day after Woodstock had ended. Jefferson Airplane, Crosby, Stills, Joni Mitchell were all there.

Joni Mitchell got up and introduced a song. It's words hit home and are unbeilievable poignant today. I wish for any way that we can all help steer this world into a better direction:

Joni Mitchell › The Fiddle & The Drum

And so once again

My dear johnny my dear friend

And so once again you are fightin us all

And when I ask you why

You raise your sticks and cry, and I fall

Oh, my friend

How did you come

To trade the fiddle for the drum

You say I have turned

Like the enemies youve earned

But I can remember

All the good things you are

And so I ask you please

Can I help you find the peace and the star

Oh, my friend

What time is this

To trade the handshake for the fist

And so once again

Oh, america my friend

And so once again

You are fighting us all

And when we ask you why

You raise your sticks and cry and we fall

Oh, my friend

How did you come

To trade the fiddle for the drum

You say we have turned

Like the enemies youve earned

But we can remember

All the good things you are

And so we ask you please

Can we help you find the peace and the star

Oh my friend

We have all come

To fear the beating of your drum

Joni Mitchell › The Fiddle & The Drum

Thanks for the reminder of this song - it's been a while since I've thought of it, and all it means, in its historical context.

It's easy to forget that the US, like modernity, the Enlightenment, and all the intellectual freedoms we enjoy, is still an experiment, a chance to look at the possibilities of self-governance that hundreds of years of bloody conflict forced a people to take on. Without the American Revolution, the French Revolution or any others probably wouldn't have gotten up enough wind in their sails to come off. So, imo, you have to respect and even admire that. I also think it's important to stoke that same admiration in those people that might think you're trying to take it away by, e.g., burning a key symbol of it.

I also think it's important, too, to note those studies by groups like the Pew Charitable Trusts that placed US religiosity higher than that in Pakistan. Put a different way: note that it was in Germany that the Enlightenment found its most articulate expression, in people like Kant; it only took a hundred some-odd years after that for the place to go to shit. I'm not saying religiosity per se is dangerous, but it sure as hell can be, when it gives people every excuse to be lunkheaded, obtuse, and inexcusably violent.

i'm in albany ny tonight, it's very sombre here. crossed the border this morning, nothing out of the ordinary.

kinda pisses me off to hear everyone spout off about George Bush like he's responsible. sure he's an idiot douchebag who shouldn't have been elected dogcatcher but he didn't fly into the towers and a field and the pentagon. he didn't bomb embassies in africa. he's done a lot of cruel shit, but it was the EXTREME LUNATICS in osama's army that killed everyone 5 years ago.

i think it is interesting (not it a negative way or anything) that everyone is remembering Bush in this event when he was just a figurehead. Remember the PSYCHOS who did this and the brave people in NY, PA and DC who paid the price.

kinda pisses me off to hear everyone spout off about George Bush like he's responsible. sure he's an idiot douchebag who shouldn't have been elected dogcatcher but he didn't fly into the towers and a field and the pentagon. he didn't bomb embassies in africa. he's done a lot of cruel shit, but it was the EXTREME LUNATICS in osama's army that killed everyone 5 years ago.

i think it is interesting (not it a negative way or anything) that everyone is remembering Bush in this event when he was just a figurehead. Remember the PSYCHOS who did this and the brave people in NY, PA and DC who paid the price.

to paraphrase robin williams, blaming bush for the state of things is like blaming the chrome dog on the Mack truck for the accident.

here's my account as a video store clerk at the time:

that morning I was trying to sleep-in after yesterday's 13hr shift but the phone kept ringing and I refused to pick it up.

once I awoke I checked my e-mail and the only one from my friend read, "see you in the trenches, next year in Jerusalem";

still clueless, I turn on the tv and the first image I see is a recap of the 2nd plane hitting in slow-mo... my jaw dropped.

went back to work for the evening shift at Queen Video, and the shop was dead empty the entire night; why watch a movie when you can see the real thing on tv? My co-worker and I just philosophized about the event all night while we listened to the Twin Peaks soundtrack.

anyway, that following Saturday was the BUSIEST I've ever seen at the video shop. Everyone was renting comedies, it was a surreal yet logical response to the lugubrious week left behind.