Jambands.ca

Europe 2006-2007

M.O.B.E

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heinze looked to be travelling that road initially but let up once he realised that it wasn't a premiership game and that he couldn't get away with it (he had an awful game, btw, i thought). there was loads of chippiness and subsequent whining and appeals from the Romans. great to see perotta [?] get booked for diving, the look on his face was priceless- he almost looked ashamed!

i do think that manu can still pull this off, but it's going to take one hell of an effort, extra tough sans scholes in the return leg as well

i wonder if the mancs will behave tonight, anyone planning on catching this today? I'll probably watch the 2nd half then stay up ridiculously late tomorrow night and drag my arse on thurs.

i'd love to watch chavski-valencia as well but i ain't staying up til 2:00, two nights in a row- and knowing those idiots @ ESPN, they'll be showing the score of the other game during the Roma match anyway

Let's hope this is a bit overblown:

United fans in plea for calm as Roma thugs grab tickets for grudge match

The spectre of violence hanging over Tuesday's Champions League return leg at Old Trafford prompted a call for calm from Manchester United fans.

The Independent Manchester United Supporters Association echoed manager Sir Alex Ferguson's words by urging their followers not to seek revenge for last week's flare-ups with rival fans and riot police in Rome.

In a statement on their website, the IMUSA also did their best to play down fears that Roma's hard-core Ultras, who were blamed for a wave of ambushes and knife attacks on visiting fans at last week's first leg, will be making the trip.

"The Roma fans at Old Trafford on Tuesday will be just like most of our fans who went to Rome last week and will be there only to watch the football," it said.

"We all need to make sure that there are no headlines in Manchester to wipe out the memory of those made by the Italian police last week in Rome."

However, despite such hopes that only peaceful Roma fans will travel, it emerged last night that T-shirts promoting the 'Roman Invasion of Manchester' have been selling furiously in the Italian capital, with members of the Ultras having mounted a campaign to snap up as many tickets as possible.

When Roma's allocation went on general sale 10 days ago, Ultras arrived at ticket booths armed with names of fellow gang members who had been earmarked tickets, while ordinary fans were left empty-handed and their appeals to police were ignored.

One season-ticket holder said: "The tickets were due to go on sale at 8am and when I arrived the night before, the Ultras were already there controlling the situation.

"They were giving out coloured tickets according to which Ultra faction you belonged to and those of us who weren't Ultras were not given anything.

"It meant that when the booths opened, they got all the tickets."

Ferguson remains convinced that United fans will be targeting the wrong people if they try to carry out reprisal attacks.

He said: "We can't be taking it out on their innocent fans and I wouldn't expect our fans to even think about that.

"You can't blame the Roma fans who come to Manchester for causing any trouble because apparently their troublemakers don't travel abroad."

United are more concerned by the conduct of Italian riot police who they have accused of giving indiscriminate beatings to their fans inside the Olympic Stadium last week.

TSHIRT0804_468x645.jpg

I was at work for 11n' a half hours yesterday and I left only to come home to watch the Chelsea game. 7-1 thats the best thing that could have happened to Roma. Roma is the Spurs of Italy, they need a good hammering like that to maybe wake them the fuck up.

Thats not a good scoreline for Chelsea in the league. A score like that will push Man U over the hump to the finish I think.

I hope so they lookedd piss poor on Sat v Pompey, but then again Kieran feckin Richardson got the start (and gave away the ball that led to Portsmouth's 1st goal)

it's setting up to be a unique finish between Chelski and Manu to the season...from Football365

"But there is the possibility of a unique series of matches between 9 May and 23 May: one at Stamford Bridge that could settle the Premiership; one at Wembley to settle the world's oldest cup competition; and one in Athens for the right to sit at the pinnacle of the European (and arguably world) game."

I'll be the 1st to admit though there is still a lot of work to be done to get to that point...

Edited by Guest