Jambands.ca

Europe 2006-2007

M.O.B.E

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Champions League winner Igor Biscan reflects on the glory of Istanbul and looks forward to Wednesday's European Cup final in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv from his home in Athens.

Liverpoolfc.tv: Igor, we haven't heard much from you since you left Liverpool. How are things?

Igor Biscan: I'm having a good time out here with Panathinaikos. It's a different country with a different style of football which isn't at all comparable with England, but I'm enjoying myself and have had a decent couple of years since I left Anfield.

What sort of season has it been?

To be honest it's been really poor because we haven't won a trophy and that's unacceptable. We've only played average football and then we suffered a major setback earlier this month when we lost the Greek Cup final to a lower league side.

I played quite a lot at the start of the season but then spent a week in hospital with an illness. I've had other injury problems and we've had three different coaches throughout the season so it has been difficult at times.

How do you assess your career with Liverpool now when you reflect on your time at Anfield?

I'm the first to admit that I struggled to adapt to the demands and I couldn't reach the required standard in the early stages. It didn't help that I didn't play many games in my preferred position in those first couple of years either. I think I did much better in my final two years though and when I look back at my career with Liverpool it's those seasons I concentrate on - especially the last one, for obvious reasons.

I'm really proud to have been part of a squad which won the Champions League and it's those memories and feelings which are still as special to me today as they were when we were all celebrating in Istanbul.

Do you still keep an eye out for Liverpool's results?

Of course I do. Liverpool is a club that will always be in my heart and I will always look out for their results and watch them on the television whenever I can. I had the best night of my life and the best moments of my career with Liverpool and no-one can ever take them away from me.

What are your memories now when you look back to 2005?

It was just amazing and even now it's hard to find the words. The Bayer Leverkusen ties were good for us because we got through them without any problems but after that we were always up against massive teams and playing massive games. Nobody gave us a chance against Juventus but we showed that night what we were capable of, and then to beat Chelsea was just incredible. The way we won the final in Istanbul will never be repeated although having said that, people were saying the same thing after the Alaves final. You just never know with Liverpool. They always seem to be involved in unbelievable finals. They never do things the easy way. The fans have to suffer before the celebrations start.

You were on the bench throughout the 2005 final – what was that like?

It was very strange and we went through the same emotions as everyone else. I remember turning to Didi Hamann when we were 3-0 down and saying "I still have a feeling we can win this." He just said "It will be very difficult to come from three down against an Italian side!" As soon as we pulled one goal back I looked at the Italians on the bench and at their players who were warming up and I could tell in their faces that they were losing belief. It was very strange to see but it was clear to me that we had a big chance when Steven Gerrard scored so early in the second half.

How proud do you feel to have been a part of arguably the greatest night in the club's history?

I feel privileged, honestly. To have been part of that night with those players and those supporters is something I will never forget.

What have you done with your winners' medal?

It's back in my home in Zagreb! It's funny because there are a lot of Liverpool supporters out here in Greece and I have been invited on a few occasions to some of their official meetings. The message I keep hearing is that they just can't wait for this year's final. Wherever you go and whoever you speak to, nobody feels Liverpool will lose. It's almost like they feel it's their destiny and that it's written in the stars that they'll win it again. I think they're right.

How impressed are you with Liverpool's journey to Athens this season?

They have shown they are the most solid and the strongest team in the competition. In 2005 I don't think anybody fancied Liverpool to keep progressing and so we seemed to start every round as the underdogs. We were certainly never the favourites to win it. After beating Barcelona this year I think people started looking at Liverpool differently and in many eyes they were the team to beat. The way they coped with that and the way they knocked out PSV and Chelsea was absolutely brilliant. All the players are working extremely hard for each other and there's obviously a real determination to win the trophy again. Milan started the final in Istanbul as favourites but I don't think that'll be the case this time and that's something new for Liverpool to cope with.

Where will you be watching the final?

Good question! I don't know yet. I'm getting married in June and my girlfriend is pregnant so it looks like I'll have to go home to Zagreb as soon as the season finishes. I haven't been back for six months so it'll be hard to stay here. Maybe I'll be able to sort something out, I'll have to see.

What do you think Liverpool's chances are this time?

I believe they will win it again. I've no doubt about that because it's just the way it is. In Europe Liverpool take you on and then beat you. It's the way it works. It's almost like a tradition. They've done it so many times this season and so many times over the years. It'll happen again.

How much of the recent success is down to Rafa Benitez?

He deserves a lot of respect. Obviously when I was there I wasn't too happy with some of his decisions but that isn't important anymore. It doesn't matter now. He's one of the top three coaches in the world and Liverpool are fortunate to have him.

Give us an insight into what the mood is around Athens ahead of the final?

Everyone is really looking forward to it. Athens people like to live life to the full and this is a great place for the final to be staged. It's the start of the summer season here and people are enjoying themselves. It's one of the nicest cities to visit and all the fans heading over here are sure to have a good time.

Is the city ready for an invasion of many thousands of Liverpool fans?

[laughs] I don't know. I've heard they only got 17,000 tickets but I'm sure the fans without tickets will find other solutions. All I can say is they'll all have a great time. There are lots of great clubs, bars and restaurants and all the fans will be welcomed by the locals. I'm glad Man United never made it to the final because there would have been a different atmosphere around the city. It'll be a great occasion and all I can say in terms of advice is the weather is extremely hot so don't bring heavy clothes!

What's your opinion of Liverpool fans?

The best. It's as simple as that. As a Liverpool player you know the fans will always be behind you and that means so much. If proof were needed that was the case then all you have to do is look at half time in Istanbul when they were probably all feeling dreadful and yet managed to lift themselves – and the players – by singing their song. It was amazing.

Who will the key players be on the night?

The strength of Liverpool is their teamwork and the way they all work so hard for each other. As far as individuals are concerned I've been really impressed with Dirk Kuyt this season. He looks a great player. I also think Steve Finnan has been brilliant for the club once again and I'm so pleased for him. The big name players are obviously the ones Milan will have to be most careful of on the night.

Give us a score prediction then….

2-1 to Liverpool…..

We hope you're right...

Fingers crossed.

Liverpool's Boudewijn Zenden is set to be passed fit for the Champions League final against AC Milan.

The winger has been doubtful with an ankle injury, but should be available to start on the left side.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez said: "He looks like he will be OK, he has trained and I expect him to be fit."

Benitez is expected to play a five-man midfield with skipper Steven Gerrard likely to occupy a supporting role to lone striker Dirk Kuyt.

right so who's watching & where?

I'm taping it at home. Hopefully I won't open this thread or be listening to The Team this aft. But one of these two things is bound to happen.

I especially hope I don't run into any celebrating fans on the walk home.

I could possibly sneak off for the last half if anyone's watching downtown.

zenden- useless

kewell- uselesser. had that look of "what am i supposed to do i haven't played in 12 months

pennant- find someone with your fucking crosses!

stevie- never settled

xabi- same

riise- pity him, caught in two minds over going forward as he knew neither bolo or harry could track back

credit to milan though, job well done

Edited by Guest
gutted