Jambands.ca

Final Rheos show booked (Massey Hall)

zero

Final show with this line-up

March 30, 2007: Massey Hall, Toronto, ON. Tix on sale NOW through Massey's online ticket page.

Released September 7 by Six Shooter Records.

"For the last 21 years, Rheostatics' songwriting frontline of Dave Bidini, Martin Tielli, Tim Vesely and, more currently, drummer/producer Michael Phillip Wojewoda, have helped spark and shepherd contemporary CanRock from a self-conscious sound-alike scene into a spirited universal force, leaving classic albums like Melville, Whale Music, Music Inspired by the Group of Seven, Story of Harmelodia and 2067 in their sonic wake.

"After much consternation, it has been resolved that the group's March 30th, 2007 date at Massey Hall will be the last live performance for the group as they have existed for the last two-plus decades.

"The Rheostatics may continue to persevere in one form or another in the future, but not with their current lineup intact. For fans of the group, it will be the last chance to see this band as they've appeared heretofore; one final evening with Canada's most beloved, long-standing rock band."

Six Shooter Records is exploring options for additional merriment to help commemmorate the event. Stay tuned for details.

Rheos' Dave Bidini and Martin Tielli will appear with the addition of Ford Pier and additional, as yet unnamed musicians, as part of One Yellow Rabbit's production of "Five Hole," based on Bidini's hockey erotica (see below) in January. There will be no Fall Nationals in 2007.

How big is Massey Hall?

Can ticket purchasing wait a month or what?

Any ideas?

2800 (but only 1500 actually worth sitting in).

Yes. Tickets went on pre-sale on Aug 16 and regular sale on Aug 21 thru the Massey Hall website. You can get decent tix, as of right now, so I would guess you'd be able to get good tickets for a while still.

Martin solo is a little too unpredictable for me, although moments are indeed brilliant. I like the Rheos, always have, always will. Some great nights have been spent with these guys and their musical friends.

This will be a very very special evening.

Pretty fucking funny Sean.

Yeah it's a bit hard hearted thinking about this.

They had better play better than those crazy Vermonters did at their farewell show.

I really don't get just thinking about that now why they couldn't fucking pull their shit together. That fucking third set is a train wreck. With the exception of the Curtain which is of course perfect.

It''s funny I would have forgot about this for a while if someone hadn't posted about Steve Howe. Paul McLeod (sic?) told me Monday after playing Dope Fiends and Booze Hounds (of which he is most definitely the latter) a story Bidini told him about it. Basically musically the song is a Steve Howe trip in a really proggish way- Bidini's words not mine. Lyrically Paul feels it's intended to work as a counterpoint to the prog underpinnings. I'm blanking on the line but you know 'shovel my drive' or whatever that kind of stuff. It was one of those fascinating conversations that only a musician would be in the loop on. You know the sort of stuff most rock writers should be up on but aren't because theý're fucking wanks.