Jambands.ca

The Fat Cats @ Mavericks Saturdar Oct 14th, 2006

Mavericks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't what the list etiquette is to respond to ancient posts like this but F*ck it... dems de perks of being a newbie!

I'm looking forward to this show because, although I've never heard the Fat Cats before, I have an intimate relationship with them already. My brother (www.spectraleyes.com) painted me an interpreted portrait (oil on canvas) for my birthday in 1996 that the Fat Cats then used for the cover of their "Daredevil" album. I look forward to telling them at the show that the original is currently hanging above my mantel even though I've never heard a note of their music (sure... flame away!). I suppose I should feel entitled to a free copy of the cd, non?!?

cheers

adambrot

they were starting to get big in the local SW Ont scene just as I left London for grad studies. That's how my brother new them. I remember at the time that there was a vibrant jamband thing going on at the time with other bands like Kickstand Travolta, One Step Beyond, Borrowed Thyme etc. Haven't thought about those names in a while......

I'm looking forward to this show because, although I've never heard the Fat Cats before, I have an intimate relationship with them already. My brother (www.spectraleyes.com) painted me an interpreted portrait (oil on canvas) for my birthday in 1996 that the Fat Cats then used for the cover of their "Daredevil" album. I look forward to telling them at the show that the original is currently hanging above my mantel even though I've never heard a note of their music (sure... flame away!). I suppose I should feel entitled to a free copy of the cd, non?!?

Cool story! One that I'm sure the boys would get a kick out of....

As for a free cd, that may be a hard favour to deliver on. As far as I am aware, there are no more copies. Honestly, their live performances are where it's at in my subtle opinion anyhow. I'd check out archive instead.

Hoping to see some Ottawa skanks out at this quickly approaching event. Very much looking forward to meeting some new folks as well. (I"m pretty sure that I am echoing sentiments that I expressed in another thread that was about this show as well). But let me just reiterate.... looking forward to it!! It's been a long time since the boys have ventured too far beyond the good ol' GOlden Horseshoe (minus some sporadic summer festival stints).

Cheers!

Funny, the vicarious association (and pretty wild, too!) - I remember meeting/hearing Deanna Knight (who used to sing with them, and whom my brother-in-law had recorded) over ten years ago, long before I ever heard/saw/met the Fatties, which suggests among other things the vast arc of their musical trajectory. These guys are so deeply rooted in what they do together they'd have to work hard not to blow an audience away. I sure know I can't wait to see them again (even cutting short my open-stage that night to shoot up the highway to do so). Just the relatively few times I have caught them have embedded some rich musical memories in me for years and years to come.

I don't what the list etiquette is to respond to ancient posts like this but F*ck it... dems de perks of being a newbie!

cheers

adambrot

A very cool story adambrot!

If you private message me your snail mail address, I'll be sure to send you a copy of Daredevil in the mail. I know that the Cats won't mind. It will be a copy without the jewel case artwork, but that won't really matter! ;):)

It's no secret around here that I love the Fatties. When people ask me what my favourite band is I don't have a definite answer, but the Fatties are the answer as often as or more often than any other band.

Peace, Mark

It's no secret around here that I love the Fatties. When people ask me what my favourite band is I don't have a definite answer, but the Fatties are the answer as often as or more often than any other band.

Mark, as your musical attorney, I strongly advise you to come to the Ottawa Fat Cats show. I also strongly advise bringing Alabama Man. Use force if you have to.

Aloha,

Brad

keep us in the discussion loop/planning loop as well....you know there's room to stay here (once we get rid of the kids, there's even an extra bunk-bed ;) )

there's also a killer jam-space/practice space.

the only thing you need to work into your plans is the need for a DD for the night (or wee early morning) since we're more than a cab ride away from downtown.

sure... cool a copy of the cd would be nice. Thanks. How do you private message on this board?

Either way, I don't have any qualms about posting my work address.... how's this?

Adam Brown

Dept of Biology

30 Marie Curie

University of Ottawa

K1N 6N5

thanks a lot! I look forward to listening to that album after looking at it's cover art for so many years!

cheers

adambrot

Hey Adam,

The disc is copied and will be dropped into the snail mail system tomorrow.

Here is the track list:

(Waiting for) Spring

Teaspoon

The Station

I Give it Away

Daredevil

Breathe

Sing Me Gently Home

Montana Haze

Highlander

You

I agree with edger that there is a lot of great live stuff by Fat Cats up on the archive. Having said that, this is a solid cd. In the May 2002 issue of Scene & Heard, there is a list of some Canadian albums that never got the attention that they deserved. Here is what Mike Knoll (mk) had to say about Daredevil as one of those releases:

"I've never been able to figure out why this CD isn't in everybody's collection. These are the songs that the Fatties will be celebrated for forever and they are some of the most beautiful, catchy, riffin', feelin', Deadly, rock 'n' roll songs recorded in Canada. If this CD can't catapult the band to massive success nothing could. Summertime songs that sooth and fuse the need for skilled playing and deft songwriting."

Peace, Mark