Jambands.ca

OCT. 7 IRIE BAND CD RELEASE w/CHAMELEON PROJECT @ ELMO $5

Jay Funk Dawg

Hey Y'all

I just joined the IRIE BAND... and it's been a blast playing with these Jamaicains... some of the nicest and down to earth people I've ever met.. Big ups to all who supported the Irie Band at Come Together... come out if you can.. only $5 with a Canned Food Donation!

Irieband_jayflyer.jpg

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 7th

www.nufunk.ca presents...

FREEDOM SERIES REGGAE JAM

IRIE BAND CD RELEASE for "BOOK OF DUBS"

www.lionheart.ca

featuring:

Progress Negrus (vocals), The High Plains Drifter (guitar)

& Rollin' Cash (samples)

plus

The Chamelon Project

www.chameleonproject.com

Freaker's Market and more..

(crafters: email me if you want to run a table jay.cleary@gmail.com)

and DJ sets by

VIOLET (Peace & DUB) & ROLLIN' CASH (Sumkidz, Hot Pie Records)

El Mocambo Upstairs

www.elmocambo.ca

Doors at 9:00 Show at 10:00

$7 at door, $5 w/canned food donation (proceeds go to Mother Theresa Homeless Shelter & Daily Bread Food Bank).

Get event updates/get involved by emailing: info@nufunk.ca

Sponsored by Canadian Reggae World, Uprising Book Store & Hot Box Cafe

irie-CD-front.jpg

~

IRIE BAND CD RELEASE for "BOOK OF DUBS"

www.lionheart.ca/irieband/irieband.html

Irie Band on Myspace www.myspace.com/iriebandtoronto

~

The Irie Band is a Toronto-based reggae outfit that delivers dub riddims in a classic, Jamaican late 70's and early 80's style. Formed in January 2006, the band is fronted by seasoned reggae veteran, Steven Cogdell. For six months, the band played a weekly gig called "Irie Tuesdays" at Cervejaria Downtown, that honed them into a tight, heavy unit.

Irie Band has performed at The Marijuana March, Lula Lounge, Ciao Edie, Parkdale Arts and Crafts Festival, Come Together Music Festival in Durham, The Townehouse in Sudbury, Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington Market, Revival's World Cup Kick-Off Party, Ellington's Fez Baitk and Lee's Palace.

Steven Cogdell, a foundation member of Sunforce and Revelation, is from Cocoa Beach, Florida. He has appeared on CityTV, MuchMusic, CBC and his original songs and the video "Lost Without Your Love" have been played in Canada, the USA, the Caribbean, Germany, Belgium, France, England and South Africa. Steven combines his steady rhythm guitar with bluesy solos to come forward with a high-energy roots reggae sound.

Collin "Jahlin" Edwards on drums was born in Hanover, Germany. In 1987, he began performing as the drummer with reggae band Imagine Rainbow Warriors, led by local activist Steve Hall. He returned to his family roots in Jamaica in 1992 and stayed until 2003. He has worked with such artists as Gregory Isaacs and Yellowman. Collin's dynamic drum work gives the Irie Band its raw, hard-hitting edge.

Uncledropsi, a veteran bassist of twelve years, is a crucial part of the heavy sound of the Irie Band. He started his musical career in 1997 with the Selassie I Power Band. They went on to win a Canadian Urban Music Award the next year. Dropsi's highly defined style keeps the crowd on their feet and moving to his powerful rhythm.

Dragoslav Tanaskovic on keys was born and raised in Yugoslavia (Serbia) where he graduated from the Music Conservatory in Belgrade. He has collaborated with many Canadian artists on many different projects. He played guitar and keys with Melanie Doane, accompanied John Millard and still plays with the Grammy winning Alannah Myles. Drag's multi-faceted musical background adds a unique element to the Irie Band's melody section.

Jay Cleary (aka The High Plains Drifter), on rhythm and lead guitar was born in Toronto. Jay started his performing career while at St. F.X. University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. With other students of the jazz program, he founded his own funk-fusion project, High Plains Drifter .They released their debut album in 2004, then relocated to Toronto in 2005 where they continue to perform. Over the years, Jay has played with Caution Jam, Duane Andrews, Mark Wilson & The Way It Is and Zion King. As the newest member of the Irie Band, Jay brings his enthusiasm and a unique jazz element to the project. visit: www.myspace.com/highplainsdrifting

The Irie Band's debut album, "The Book of Dubs" is a seven song CD of original instrumentals that was recorded live in Kensington Market. The vibe is truly IRIE! Check them out!

digCP.gif

The Chameleon Project

www.chameleonproject.com

Dub, Jazz, jungle, disco, funk, techno…it's all about a groove. What keeps it engaging is improvisation. It keeps changing. It never stops. It's at the heart of all great music…and it's in the DNA of the members of the Chameleon Project (CP).

CPs guitarist Josh Laing says the band is about using the musical tools pioneered by the masters of the past, to create progressive and distinct music for the future. "We're all trained jazz musicians who've been heavily influenced by groove-oriented music of everyone from Art Blakey and Charlie Parker to James Brown and The Meters, to Lee Scratch Perry, Amon Tobin and the most frenetic drum and bass and free jazz.."

The band has tuned into the growing audience that appreciates a wide range of improvised styles from classic straight ahead jazz to the propulsive rhythms of electronic music. The band is not afraid to take chances night after night and brings loyal followers wherever they play.

552981381_l.jpg

Rollin' Cash

www.djrollincash.com

Rollin' Cash has been making his mark for years as part of OM, Sumkidz and Hotpie Records with his dubfunk sound has been a staple of the Toronto scene. Rollin' will spin dub vibrations that will rock your world and will also play on Serato alongside the Irie Band. This summer Rollin' played at The Harvest Festival, The Distillery, Make it Funky and at OM:Intent.

DJviolet3.jpg

DJ Violet

DJ Violet has brought her love of fresh air and a big fat dubby bass-line to a variety of underground functions and festivals including Harvest Festival, Cherry Beach, Boreal, OM Festival, In:TENT, Bigfoot and the Evolve Festival. From hilltops to house parties and lounges, she brings the vibe with a blend of nu-skool dub, roots reggae, soulful downtempo grooves and dub hop.

Looking for vendors/crafters: email: jay.cleary@gmail.com if you want to set up a table...

CP-titlebar.jpgspf_logo.gif

[color:purple]Bitchin'! We are superstoked to be a part of this sure fire dubtastic extravaganza. For our part The Chameleon Project will be performing a no holds barred, exclusive dub set with dashs of breakbeat/jungle madness thown in for good measure.

Can't wait to hear the Irie band..I've heard wonderful things...

digCP.gif

Edited by Guest

[color:blue]Hey Jaydawg,

TC and I have been working up a Hawaiin flavoured dub project, in which we do endless versions of the theme song to my show. We also do dub versions of Jimmy Buffett classsics. The real "showstopper" in our set is when TC takes and extended bass solo and I run a metal tined comb through my chest hair, which is miced and fed through a Roland Space Echo. This section of the show is our little drums/space if you will. In essence the manliness of my chesthair and the resistance it creates, produces mad echoes and reverbs, over TC fatbasslines.

Anyways we'll be there for this killer looking event and we'll talk more about my "chest hair" dub project. We are looking for gigs off the island. I'm sure your interested already.

Magnum Out.

Edited by Guest

Magnum,

I might have to take you up on your Hawaiin flavoured dub project...I'd really like to see/hear your chest hair...

I'm getting some great interests from vendors, so this show is going to have it's own freakmarket... Reggae CDs, Art, Handmade clothing and more.. gonna be fun!

It's also the Irie band's CD Release.. so we gonna party!!

Jammed with the Irie Band on the weekend at a Reggae House party, and we're ready to kill! The deep dub a la Lee "Scratch" Perry and King Tubby will be thunderous!

arrggg!

Here's some photos of the IRIE band

www.myspace.com/iriebandtoronto

Steven Codgell

1017848085_m.jpg

Jah-lin

1198828076_m.jpg

Uncle Dropsi

1198860602_m.jpg

Jaydawg

1215685125_m.jpg

special guest MC

Progress Negus

1215700211_m.jpg

Edited by Guest

I love it Jaydawg is the only white guy in the band! Killer!

actually i'm a bit more pink than white.. and now a big jamaicain.. you can now call me by my rasta name.. Jahmin-Jay-Dawg-Mon.

Ah! Don't fret playa'. If you too white, it ain't right, and if you too black ya' can't go back! But if you a little pink it'll make a brotha' think!

At least that's how it go ontha track.

Hey Jaydawg, can I donate a ho, instead of canned food, fo' this show. I gots mo' than I know what to do wit! Ya dig!

Pimps UP!

Hey y'all,

[color:black]I just got word that one of the vendors is a new clothing co. from Ktichener called [color:magenta]Brave Star.

[color:magenta]Brave Star specializes in making dreads hats, hippie toys, (like poi etc.) and they are expanding into stylish threads as well. All items are handsewn, super durable and made with funky reclaimed fabric.

Check them out at the show in the vendors area...

logo1c2.jpg