Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

$2.95M is not really that bad. The bad thing is that the contract was only for one year. Ryder now becomes trade bait at the trade deadline because he's UFA at the end of the season. I have no doubt that he will go to the highest bidder when his contract runs out...

Guest Low Roller

Just how close is Brisebois to rejoining the Habs? Apparently his agent sent a counter-offer to the Habs. Rumour placed Gainey's initial offer around $700K for the year. Brisebois would be going into his 17th season in the NHL.

If he's signed, then the Habs actually have a SURPLUS of defencemen (Markov, Harmlik, Komisarek, Streit, Dandenault, Bouillion, Gorges, Brisebois, and "NHL-ready" prospects Cote and O'Byrne), leading journalists to believe that some sort of trade is in the works.

Guest Low Roller

I think that Gainey wants someone in the Niinimaa role of experienced defenceman that will spend most of his time in the press box, hence why he approached Brisebois. Rumours going around is that they also wanted to mend fences with him so that he would accept an office/coaching job with the Habs once he retires.

Cote is 3rd line D material which we don't really need currently, and he will really need to prove himself in camp if he wants to stay. He will be challenging Josh Gorges (and Brisebois?) for the 7th D-Man role unless some sort of trade pans out.

O'Byrne has the Chara-factor going for him, but I figure he'll get another year in Hamilton.

Guest Low Roller

Damn. There is nothing going on right now, is there? The Brisebois signing was kinda big, and possibly a precursor to a trade, but otherwise all is quiet on the Gainey front.

The only scrap of news I found was that Team U.S. has opened their junior team training camp, and the invitees include three Habs first round picks: David Fischer (D, 1st round 2006, 20th overall), Ryan McDonagh (D, 1st round 2007, 12th overall), and Max Pacioretty (LW, 1st round 2007, 22nd overall).

Guest Low Roller

New jersey numbers just announced:

6 Tom Kostopoulos

14 Tomas Plekanec (from 35)

20 Bryan Smolinski

44 Roman Hamrlik

71 Patrice Brisebois

An interesting side note: Kovalev is listed as an assistant on the Habs website.

Guest Low Roller

Speaking of new jerseys... A prototype or a horrible hoax?

mtl.jpg

The Habs will unveil their new "My NHL" Reebok jerseys just before their first pre-season game in September.

Heady GM.

One Saturday on Coaches Corner, Don Cherry said that the Habs obtained The Flower via that old rule whereby MTL got first swab at Quebec born players but I believe he was wrong in this case. Again.

He was just held a grudge for too many years over losing his job.

lafleur.jpg

Guest Low Roller

From Habsworld.com, here's how the Habs managed to draft Guy Lafleur 1st overall:

May 22nd, 1970

Montreal Canadiens trade Ernie Hicke and Montreal’s 1970 first round draft pick to the California Golden Seals for Francois Lacombe, cash, and California’s first round draft pick.

The trade that Sam Pollack will always be most remembered for actually is a two part deal. This trade was made a year in advance of the 1971 draft. The Canadiens had already identified Guy Lafleur as their pick the next year. With the rules having changed and the Canadiens no longer holding the rights to all French players, Pollack bargained that the Seals would finish in last place and that the first pick would be Montreal’s.

However as the 1970-71 season played out the Seals actually were ahead of the Los Angeles Kings in the standings, bringing about the second part of the trade.

January 26th, 1971

Montreal Canadiens trade Ralph Backstrom to the Los Angeles Kings for Gord Labossiere and Ray Fortin

For the past year Backstrom had been voicing his desire to play in a warmer climate. Pollock granted his wish and got one of his own. A rejuvenated Backstrom helped lead the Kings out of the basement. The Seals finished in last place and the Canadiens armed with the first overall pick selected Guy Lafleur.