Jambands.ca

Stuck in Buffalo

afro poppa

heading down for the show tonight as well. its supposed to clear up thoughout the day. the news says its there is an "emergency travel ban" on now and power is still out in places. oh well, thats buffalo winter for ya - they like to make a big deal out of how much snow they get, which admittedly can be a LOT sometimes. :o

we got a fair amount of snow in Guelph last night too. was still on the ground and cars this morning.

Buffalo has a ban on driving at the moment. I have tickets and a hotel room booked for tonight. I'm hoping it clears up this afternoon. If anyone has any traffic reports keep us posted as I hope to be leaving by 5pm. I haven't seen moe. in over a year and am jonesing bad for some good music and a fun night out to shake my bones.

Rossollie and I had a pretty nasty drive home last night but the nasty part was fairly short lived. Hillarious to drive through the border when they have no power. I think things will shape up toward the end of the day. moe. go on @ 9:30 so keep that in mind. Happy Friday the 13th kids...

at bathurst and sheppard! ;)

That's what I was afraid of. Nothing like a "mountain" from which you can wave to people at the base from the peak! (I think I'm officially an ex-snowboarder now, apart from the odd trip out west, or maybe to Quebec.)

PS Sorry for the thread-hijack. Done now. ... as you were ...

the nasty part was fairly short lived.

that's the strange thing about that area. blizzard right near the border and 5km up the QEW it can be sunny with no snow at all. someone once told me the lake might have something to do with the weather, but I dont believe it for a minute ;)

glad you made it home alive! see ya there tonite! :)

hmmm, looks like no moe. for anyone today. :(

Buffalo is officially closed ... a state of emergency has been issued and there is a full ban on driving. my hotel is accepting guests on emergency basis only, and has only ONE staff on study (not good for a 500 room hotel), and the 800-operator told me not to come. the peace bridge is still officially open, but all roads to and from are officially closed. 18 to 24 inches of snow in the area, they say.

as to whether the show will still go on, who can say for sure? my guess is that if the city is under a state of emergency, they'd be hard pressed to open the doors, and they'd presumably have to give refunds.

oh well.

October 13, 2006 - 3:43 pm

By: Taiwo Lewis and Jason Satur with files from Associated Press

Buffalo and parts of southwestern Ontario are digging out after setting a record for the snowiest October day on Thursday.

Western New York was hit the hardest overnight as well over 60 centimetres of snow blanketed the area.

Several power lines were brought down, local news reports say over 200,000 customers in the greater Buffalo area are in the dark.

City works officals says crews are out clearing roads, and using chainsaws to clear downed trees and branches.

There are news reports city officials are considering calling in the national gaurd to help in the effort.

To give you an idea of what their dealing with, heavy snow has actually unbalanced a plane parked at the airport.

On our side of the border, up to 30 centimetres of snow has closed schools and sections the peace bridge border crossing.

Border officials tell 680News two lanes are operating, but there are no delays because people are paying attention to warnings and staying off the roads.

The severe weather conditions have shut down parts of Niagara area highways, including the Fort Erie-bound lanes of the QEW at Netherby Rd. in Niagara Falls. People are being asked not to use those lanes unless absolutely necessary.

680News meteorologist Brian Hill notes that while Ontario won't get hit as hard as western New York, travellers this weekend should keep an eye on the forecast and the roads.

"The problem in cottage areas, is going to be in Algonquin Park, Huntsville and Parry Sound," says Hill. "I'm watching this band this morning and its shifted just to the north of Parry Sound but they've got a fairly significantly snowfall up there. Nothing like what happened down in the Buffalo area but they've got about five centimetres and that's a concern if you're heading up north."