tribalstar

Thursday October 26

Wassabi Collective

www.wassabi.net

with Irie Band

www.lionheart.ca

$10 advance

Door at 9 PM

--> All Ages <-- not sure about this...but it says so on the website.

The Starlight Room

47 King St N. Waterloo, ON

http://www.janebond.ca/

http://www.myspace.com/starlightwaterloo

Edited by Guest

I'd like to make it out to see Wassabi this time around but it's not in the cards.

Just curious, why was the TO show promoted like crazy and the KW show not promoted at all barely? Jaydawg?

Good question. People kept telling me this was happening but I couldn't find anything concrete until a day or 2 ago (and I live 4 blocks from the Starlight)

WASSABI COLLECTIVE w/ IRIE BAND

THURSDAY, OCT 26 - WATERLOO, ON

LAST NIGHT REVIEW

Last night @ The Starlight Room, The Wassabi Collective were on fire.... The band's sound is definitely changing, and the Red Rasta himself Brent "Gisto" is stepping out as a formadible foil for percussionist/vocalist Melissa Meteresky's soulful vocals. Mixing their electro-tribal n' funk sound up with extended instrumentals, Reggae and Soca-dancehall riddims. The crowd and the venue were a perfect mix of ambiance that fostered one of the tightest WC performances I have ever seen.

New compositions surfaced as well as new arrangments of Wassabi Collective mainstays kept it interesting for long time fans. A song which was explained to me as a "Indian flavoured jam" was annouced on stage with the name "CHUTNEY" which I found very ammusing.

The Irie Band opened the night, playing instrumental dub and covers of Keep on Movin' (Peter Tosh version) and Bob Marley's Exodus. Gisto joined the band on 2 songs, spitting out improvised rap-reggae rhymes with much conviction and fanfare from the dancefloor.

The final song of the Wassabi Collective set was "SHINE" which is drummer Jimmy Lewis's love anthem. Listen to a demo version here: www.myspace.com/jimmywassabi . Complaining about the dificulties of singing and drumming at the same time, Jah-lin, the tall African drummer of the Irie Band, stepped in to play drums, as Jimmy sang his powerful and sentimental ballad.

Melissa was shone as well, performing on 4 congas and djembe, her energy and talent continues to be at the center of Wassabi Collective's success for the past 6 years.

Great to see some skanks there... Jon was peaking out about the Slip, 'Shwa was getting his groove one. Jon from Jomomma was all smiles as were many dreadies and young earthy-types. Hope to see you guys out tonight for this special engagement!

last night was pretty fun! where the heck did all those people come from? it's like a new batch of hippie youngins has hatched & danced & patchoulied their way out of the nest. people seemed to be having a KILLER TIME, which is always nice.

the sound in the starlight is so weird. schwampy & i were doing the too loud/too quiet quickstep all over the place. despite moving locations every few minutes and having nearly every angle blocked by poles (why are there so many effin' poles in that place?!), there was still lots of great stuff to both see (hello, how can you not stare at melissa!) and hear.

i had to leave at set break as it was already 1am and i knew if i stuck around for the 2nd set, i'd stay until the end. (thanks having to get up early!)

katlady, my loins quiver for you. i was sad to see you not in attendance. i wasn't planning to go tomorrow night, however i suppose if i have an opportunity i might pop by for a drink & so we can get our nasty on. word to jo mamma byatch.

oooh oooh wassabi for eva!

hey, did they play that new fuzz or whatever song number 3 on cato is called during the second set? i love that dang tune.