Jambands.ca

The Slip will be a wonderful time

zero

I listened to Bar 17 once. I wouldn't play that for anyone.

I won't have any problem playing Eisenhower for anyone. I listened to it on the way to Kingston and on the way back without considering putting something else on.

I simply enjoy it.

The only thing missing is another 15 minutes or so of music. It feels short, and I wonder where Fuji is?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold on a sec, did Willy just say he listened to something he didn't like 12 times last weekend?

No wonder you felt the need to rant. Most of us would have stopped after 9 or 10 listens of not enjoying it.

I'll explain. You see, I like The Slip. I like them a lot. The live performances that I've seen have changed my opinion of modern music and impacted my life. Their older albums still receive regular play in my home. I'm a fan. So, I acquired the new album and played it through. "Hmmmmm," I thought, "this isn't very interesting to me at all." It really reminded me of so much 'mainstream' music that I'm not really a big fan of. However, I generall find that if I like an album right away, it fades fast but if it takes me a long time to 'get into' or 'understand' an album (for example The Flaming Lips past couple) it ends up on my favourites list permanently. So, with that in mind, I decided that I must listen to the new Slip album over and over and try to 'get it.' I played it on my own and I played it in front of people to see their reactions. I kept hoping to 'get it.' I still hope to 'get it.' There are a couple of songs that I would catergorize as "not bad" but most of the album is just too mainstream sounding for me.

So, that's why I've listened to something I don't like so many times. I've got a few more listens in me yet.

I don't really buy the selling out bit though. I would say a good criticism would be is this a timely expression of music now or last March?

Okay. I don't disagree with that. However; if you're uber-talented musicians as the boys are, why tone it down and produce such an expression?

I'm on my first listen now. My initial opinion is: meh? Basically that means it isn't kicking my ass but I'm definitely going to need to give it more listens. "A Case Of Ice And Snow" seems like a nice little piece. You really didn't find anything redeeming about the album at all? Maybe it'll just require more than one listen?

So, that's why I've listened to something I don't like so many times. I've got a few more listens in me yet.

You might like it more if you spread out the 12 initial listenings. Give each listening a chance to breath. If I listened to any album that many times in a weekend I'd probably put it away for a long time before I wanted to listen to it again.

I'm on my first listen now. My initial opinion is: meh? Basically that means it isn't kicking my ass but I'm definitely going to need to give it more listens. "A Case Of Ice And Snow" seems like a nice little piece. You really didn't find anything redeeming about the album at all? Maybe it'll just require more than one listen?

perhaps. I just haven't had any impulse to put it on again. I'll go dig it up for later

Smoothshredder et al. Something needs to be clarified here - I have nothing to do with promoting an Ottawa Slip show as was suggested in your post. I am covering the show for a local paper. I dont care who promotes the show, all I care is that The Slip come to Ottawa, and everybody plays fair.

Please in the future get your facts straight before refering to me in your argument.

Huge apologies to everyone else for dragging this back up, but clarification was definitely needed.

The Slip choose Shane as the Promoter... over your bid (Bouche and KitKat)... perhaps you could shovel a little bit of your disrespect towards the band you love so much too... cause they ultimately made a decision, and one which they thought would be in their benefit. The band you love choose Shane. And none of the disrespect, atleast online, seems to be directed towards them. Not that I want to disrespect them, or you, or anyone... but common... if you're calling us bad, then we weren't the only ones in on that decision.

As far as co-pro goes... I think at one point the door was wide open... at which point it was suggested by Team Ottawa that Team Ottawa go it alone... then the Slip comes back and decides to work with UF Productions, at which point the offer was again extended for the co-promotion and it seems is 'still up in the air'... since then, well things have got 'chilly'.

But here's how the game works: if you really really wanted to promote the show on your own... you know how you do it? You offer them more money, and more intangibles than Shane can and did offer. You wouldn't go online and throw mini-tantrums and start hate threads, or support them and air dirty laundry on your own public message board.

With the value added of working with an organization such as UF or NuFunk.ca the Slip believed they could get a better deal accross the board then just one promoter working one market. I think the historical relation between the Slip and UF played a major part as well. Once again, who's willing to criticize the Slip for their part in this relationship? Besides... what did you really hope to gain? Lots of money? (It wasn't going to happen, especially if you out bid us (plus you couldn't support the other Ontario Dates)), or was it just to be able to say you "did the show"? if so... why such a hard ass about the co-promotion offers?