Jambands.ca

The Very Best of Jerry Garcia

M.O.B.E

The wife just brought this home from work for me. I'm just putting it in as Im typing this. The Very Best of Jerry Garcia is a new Rhino release in HD. 2 discs of 420 just happened 20 minutes early for this brother. Thank you to Chapters also, who, for the first time in I dont know how long doesnt suck balls.

73391.jpg

Disc1 Studio Recordings

Deal (Disc 1)

Bird Song (Disc 1)

Sugaree (Disc 1)

Loser (Disc 1)

The Wheel (Disc 1)

Let It Rock (Disc 1)

Russian Lullaby (Disc 1)

Might As Well (Disc 1)

Mission In The Rain (Disc 1)

I'll Take A Melody (Disc 1)

Rubin And Cherise (Disc 1) - Jerry Garcia Band

Cats Under The Stars (Disc 1) - Jerry Garcia Band

Rhapsody In Red (Disc 1) - Jerry Garcia Band

Run For The Roses (Disc 1)

Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Disc 1)

Without Love (Disc 1)

Disc 2 Live Recordings

Catfish John (Live, 1973) (Disc 2)

Deep Elem Blues (Live, 1987) (Disc 2)

Ripple (Live, 1987) (Disc 2)

Positively 4th Street (Live, 1975) (Disc 2)

The Harder They Come (Live, 1977) (Disc 2)

Gamorrah (Live, 1990) (Disc 2)

Dear Prudence (Live, 1979) (Disc 2)

Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power) (Live, 1990) (Disc 2)

Evangeline (Live, 1990) (Disc 2)

Deal (Live, 1980) (Disc 2)

This is the best greatest hits album I ever bought. I love THe Harder They COme cover.

Both disks are almost 80minutes long. It's about time the record companies started giving us more than a half full disk.

Even better than the single eight song Best Of Miles Davis disc?

I haven't heard that yet. Is it good?

I should have used one of these faces ;) I was being severely sarcastic, aiming my sights straight at marketing execs (although this Jerry release seems pretty good, but not the be all and end all). I hate "Best Of" albums, especially when they try to condense a prolific artist's career into a single disc compilation - see Muddy Waters, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Frank Zappa, Charles Mingus, The Grateful Dead etc...

That's what I normally think. Which is one of the reasons I was so glad that this one was good.

Zappa's "Strictly Commercial" and "Cheap Thrills" are lame ass pieces of shit, they were how I was introduced to Zappa though so they can't be all bad.

Not to mention that running across old Jerry cds in my town is a one in million shot and I wanted most of these tunes on a well produced cd.

But yeah - the Long Strange Trip and Skeletons in the Closet compilations only kept me away from the Dead for years; it wasn't until I heard proper live recordings that it started to make sense.

I look forward to a chance to hear this one, especially given that the "Garcia Estate" makes it so hard to find JGB material floating around in cyberspace for free, as he'd have liked.

I haven't heard that yet. Is it good?

I should have used one of these faces ;) I was being severely sarcastic' date=' aiming my sights straight at marketing execs (although this Jerry release seems pretty good, but not the be all and end all). I hate "Best Of" albums, especially when they try to condense a prolific artist's career into a single disc compilation - see Muddy Waters, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Frank Zappa, Charles Mingus, The Grateful Dead etc...

[/quote']

I don't think this release is targeted at your typical Garcia fan. This seems like a great melting pot CD displaying the diversity of his best eras and collaborations. This should open up some ears of people that haven't really known Garcia outside of the Grateful Dead.

I don't think this release is targeted at your typical Garcia fan. This seems like a great melting pot CD displaying the diversity of his best eras and collaborations. This should open up some ears of people that haven't really known Garcia outside of the Grateful Dead.

From what I heard at your place, I totally agree.

You should think about writing reviews for your own page there Iko because you nailed it.