Jambands.ca

Just finished Slip interview

zero

I just finished up. I can't even process right now. It was with Marc and Brad on conference call, both seemed in good spirits and were happy to reconnect. What can I say. I never got to the equipment theft question which was on the top of my list. Marc and I talked for a bit then Brad and Marc on conference.

We touched on everything from David Cross, Werner Herzog, Stars, Drew Malamud and working the same studio as Stars. How Airplane Primitive came together.

Okay here's a nugget then I gotta go and process and start transcribing this.

Marc said he's not playing the Danelectro he's playing the Strat on Airplane Primitive (six strings). He's playing the guitar part and he and Brad are doing a duelling guitars thing. He's playing the bass with his right foot on the pedal board. Also Andrew is triggering certain synths and whatnot from his samples. They also talked about how Life In Disguise and Mothwing Bite are fun to play live. The weird thing was Brad then said it all depended on which horde of samples (can't remember how he put it I'll look back) they're tapping into. I definitely got the impression they could all call on each others bank of samples and sequences which was confusing (usually self triggered, non?).

I definitely got more than I needed and it looks good for the run. Brad says they have say 100-150 maybe 200 if they were expected to play every song they'd ever performed. They would like to call upon say 45-50 of those but really only 25 really interest them. I did put in a plug for The Earth Will Dissever And Consume You After These Messages though.

::shakes fist in the general direction of Guelph::

airplane/primitive has probably been my favourite live song from any of their shows i've seen in 2006... interesting comment on life in disguise and mothwing bite being fun to play live... when have they played them as a band in front of an audience before? i've never seen mothwing show up anywhere, and life in disguise only on a brad solo show or 2.

11/11/2006: The Independent: San Francisco, CA

Set I: The Soft Machine, Poor Boy, Words to a Little Song?, Airplane/Primitive, Even Rats, Wine and White Soda*, Life in Disguise, There's a Lie?, new slow tune?, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up > Paper Birds, Children of December

Encore: Happy Snails, If One of Us Should Fall > Get Me with Fuji

Notes: ? not sure of title. * dedicated to "old friends".

I played Dissever for someone the other day and they said 'this is really great end of the world music'. But they didn't say it like the end of the world was a bad thing.

The thing was, with Guigs' question is it was weird being on conference - some of it we were just catching up- it sort of threw off the pacing or how I would have approached it. It was sort of a round robin. It was a question of where the best direction was to take the conversation. I also knew I'd have lots of time to chat with them over the next while and would get the answer at some point.

Thanks for clearing the Airplane/Primitive up Luke! I watched the Rolling Stone video again the other night and noticed the strat, and the footwork. I didn't know where the synth was coming from. Marc looks cool as hell on some of the strat power strums with pose.

so like these won't be cookie cutter shows? i'd really like to see more than Ottawa. dang. stupid money.

This Friday, December 1, at exactly 12 Noon Eastern time, The SLIP will play a 45-minute set at Philadelphia's Electric Factory that will be simulcast on the city's acclaimed tastemaking radio station WXPN. In addition to being broadcast live on 88.5 FM, the concert wlll also be permanently archived on npr.org, as well as streamed online at xpn.org. If you will be in the Philadelphia area on Friday and would like to attend the taping, please RSVP here for tickets.

Okay here's a teaser quote. I looked back and the thing that Marc said was:

"It depends who's triggering what from whose digital module".

It sort of sucks actually with some of the transcript because they patched out at points so it was a bit of a struggle just to hear them. I sort of need to call Marc back actually to clear up a quote or two.

Brad on playing Even Rats in Washington:

"Yeah definitely I got a bit of a shiver. I was hoping people would pick up on some of the geographic references."