Jambands.ca

Niagara Falls Frozen Over - 1911

\/\/illy

You will never see that again because of the 'ice boom', thats what keeps the river & the falls from clogging up with ice. It's required to keep the intakes for the hydro plant sufficient.

Before the 'ice boom' when the river froze, ice would clog the flow in turn reducing the amount of water that goes over the falls which would allow it to freeze.

Cheers, after working in that hydro plant for six months its good to know I retained something. LOL

Also, when looking for a picture of the 'ice boom', I found this out, according to http://www.niagarafallslive.com , 1912 is when the ice bridge formed, but that was from below the falls. The picture above is from March 29th 1848, which they also have on their site. I've seen both dates (1848 & 1911) used for this picture. but I'd have to dig up the literature we recieved when working there to be sure which is right.

Anyway, this is from that site..

HOWEVER.... The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls

on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This

is the only known time to have occurred. The Falls did not actually freeze

over, but the flow was stopped to the point where people actually walked out

and recovered artifacts from the riverbed!

If thats how I come across when I post, then I apologise.

When my union hall sent me to work there in 1994, the very first question I asked when taking the job-site tour was why the falls don't freeze. That was a question I wondered since I was a kid, apparently not alot of people have I guess.

I wasn't trying to correct The Chameleon, but global warming or no global warming the ice boom would stop the falls from freezing, thats why it was constructed.

As for the rest of it, well, its sorta obvious I surfed the web for the info I linked to isn't it?

False? How so?

True? How so?

Seemed like a phenomenon then, so wouldn't it be pretty phenomenal if it happened now?

Phenomenal as in occurring outside of all regular weather.

Did the people then say that they believed that this big freeze was ushering in a global cooling trend?

All I am saying is it is a pretty large jump from this phenom to Chameleon's statement about how if climate change wasn't occurring this 1911 freeze would happen today. Usher in ohhh dear climate change is gonna get us feelings based on loose assumption. Truthiness.

Deeps

False? How so?

True? How so?

Seemed like a phenomenon then' date=' so wouldn't it be pretty phenomenal if it happened now?

Phenomenal as in occurring outside of all regular weather.

Did the people then say that they believed that this big freeze was ushering in a global cooling trend?

All I am saying is it is a pretty large jump from this phenom to Chameleon's statement about how if climate change wasn't occurring this 1911 freeze would happen today. Usher in ohhh dear climate change is gonna get us feelings based on loose assumption. Truthiness.

Deeps[/quote']

Actually I was only wondering how you came to the conclusion his comment was "apparently false".

[edit to add]

Everyone has their opinions I guess, some may feel, like yourself it happened as phenomenon, some because of lower global temps & some like myself, because there wasn't the ice boom yet.

If there wasn't the ice boom I'd agree with The Chameleon. I'm not disagreeing with him either.

Edited by Guest

The flow over the American Falls was stopped completely for several months

in 1969. The idea was to determine the feasibility of removing the large

amount of loose rock from the base of the falls to enhance it's appearance.

In the end the final decision was that the expense would be too great.

Our Side is Better!!

American_Falls_1969_small.jpg

I can't believe people were brave enough to walk that far out, couldn't a whole section of ice just break away?!?

Yeah -- my first reaction when I first saw the photo was yeeeesh!but then I've really developed a fear of falling from heights over the past couple of years.

Nonetheless, thanx for posting this awesome photo, \/\/illy!