Jambands.ca

Montreal NYE= best new years ever.

oh. my. goodness.

only now am I able to sit down and get it all out.

Montreal New Years was unreal. Seeing 2 of the worlds top dj's play two incredible and totally different venues all in a span of 14 hours 9pm-11am was quite a way to start the new year.

Montreal blows me away everytime I am there. They love their partying.

We started our night at Tribe HyperClub which was a beautiful club/lounge about the size of The Elmocambo (maybe even SMALLER!). To be seeing Steve Lawler in such a tiny plus was an honour, especially on New Years. The guy is a mad man, poised to take over the world with his filthy, dark, rich electro house. This is not cheesy euro beats...this is the real deal. Listen for yourself when i post up the send space...

SEND SPACE: STEVE LAWLER: VIVA (day one)

[color:red] http://www.sendspace.com/file/ntpat8

LAWLER= GOD.

He finished up at 3am and we quickly caught cabs to head back to The Fairmont and then to the Bell CEntre.

Walking into the Bell centre at about 5AM was a surreal experience...it was a full blown, balls to the wall, no hassles/no security rave. DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN!?!?!

5000 people losing their shit in the greatest sound system i've ever been in. On all four sides of the arena were the loudest, most powerful booming speaker systems..surround sound...holy shit. The Lights/attractions were great too. Tieso hit the stage at 8AM and played a great 3 hour set. Say what you want about the guy...but he's a powerhouse... to play Boston that night, and then fly to montreal and play to 5000 people in an arena from 8am-11am is freakin incredible....he played a pumping set that brought energy like i've never seen.

THE WORLD OF ELECTRONICA IS ABSOLUTELY UNREAL. I AM SOLD.

full of characters, crazies, weirdos, weekend warriors, beautiful people, everything you would want from a balls to the wall party. LOVE IT.

make sure you download that lawler sendspace...trust me...if you like nero, if you like funky dark music with lots of attitude, you will like this..

the losers that will flame me for liking electronica can now begin...i hope they realize the irony...being fans of obscure music made fun of and misunderstood by everyone.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dima.

I got noe beef wioth your new found love of electronica. I am a proud drum & bass/techno hippie myself.

Steve Lawler is a respectable DJ too, and can play decent sets...

My only beef with your adventure was TIESTO! That guy eats dick.

I've seen him (unfortunently) on a few occasions, at outdoor festivals in Miami and beyond and he is a wanker. The dude is all hype. He plays the worst brand of euro/electro/homo trance and can barely mix a record. On top of that he usually just stand in front of the decks and claps..

and don't even get me stgarted on the gino's and gina's that adore that dutch trance bastard!

Glad you had a wikkid time....just stay away fromt he Trance dude...

.,..It's for your own good...

For the record here are some homo trance DJs:

Ferry Cortsen

Paul Oakenfold

DJ Tiesto

Paul Van Dyk

Marco V

Gi Gi Daugustino

Mario Picotto

th_danger.jpg

To avoid losing IQ point due to repeated trance exposure I recommend listening to:

Anything on Ninja Tune Records, jungle, drum & bass, breaks, rare funk, Detroit techno, Swedish tech-house, tasteful Chicago House, IDM, breakcore and acid jazz.

Edited by Guest

For the record here are some homo trance DJs:

Ferry Cortsen

Paul Oakenfold

DJ Tiesto

Paul Van Dyk

Marco V

Gi Gi Daugustino

Mario Picotto

th_danger.jpg

To avoid losing IQ point due to repeated trance exposure I recommend listening to:

Anything on Ninja Tune Records, jungle, drum & bass, breaks, rare funk, Detroit techno, Swedish tech-house, tasteful Chicago House, IDM, breakcore and acid jazz.

hmmm... i'm still confused. i can find acid, electro, euro, goa, hard, hardcore, progressive, psychedelic, tribal, uplifting, and vocal trance.

no 'homo' trance. how does one define such music, aside from just telling me which DJs play it?

Anything that makes a group of sweaty men take their shirts off in the middle of the dance floor and start massaging each other, sometimes followed by full on gay orgies on the dancefloor/washroom is the definition of "homo trance".

Is there a corresponding form of music for lesbians instead of gay men?

Aloha,

Brad

tiesto is a pure and simple wank machine.

I'm very happy for you that you had a great time "raving"...some of the greatest music I've ever seen has been of the electronic variety...andy C, Dj Hype, Derrick Carter, Carl Cox, L double, Dj Die, Amon Tobin...the list goes on.

take the chameleon's advice though, stay away from trance...unless it's Psy-ambient trance like Shpongle! :)

And how, pray tell, is that an excuse?

'pray tell'... :)

"..makes a group of sweaty men take their shirts off in the middle of the dance floor start massaging each other""

i have seen shirtless sweaty men of all sexual orientations at all kinds of shows. i've also seen a lot of sweaty women of all sexual orientations at all kinds of shows [much less of them were shirtless, admittedly]. so i don't think it's just the 'homos' that are participating [and i'm pretty sure that this is an effect of a certain drug...].

"...sometimes followed by full on gay orgies on the dancefloor/washroom"

now THIS... this is interesting. personally i have to say, of all the sweaty shows i've been to i haven't seen a gay orgy on a dancefloor or in a washroom. but i'll take your word for it that it happens, and frequently.

so, it's the trance music that makes them do this? and it only affects the gay people in the crowd? because i'm sure i have seen hetero couples doing everything but [again, not orgies, i admit]. so could we also call it hetero-trance? or hetero-music? or people on drugs getting it on?

added: all this to say, simply, maybe we can all choose our words carefully, myself included.

i hear comments like this so often, and despite the fact that maybe 'your gay friend doesn't care if you say it', or it's supposed to be funny and i shouldn't take it so seriously... there are lots of people out there who are hurt by it. that's all. :)

Edited by Guest

More to the point Meggo,,,,

Homotrance or gay-trance or euro-gay-homo-terribly bad trance...

Is a kind of trance in which, the music is pounding at all times, very superficial, usually has pitch corrected vocals with some diva screaming about "the love the power". Then there are normally really annoying electro 808 cowbells, whistles and retarded sing-a-long choruses, and parallel major chords to top off the whole mess.

This brand of trance usually goes nowhere and does not have moving basslines. The people who enjoy this brand of Trance are usually Greasy Gino's muscle heads on GHB and their equally greasy Gina girlfriends (usually these dudes are waaaay in t he closet). This brand of trance is also played at every gay pride parade.

That the best I can describe it for you. And yes it usually means people who should never take their shirt off in public do just that.

Finally homo-trance is not a slight to gay people. I know and gave many gay friends who hate this type of music and call it "homo-trance" or "fag-house" and hate all it stands for.

It is the McDonalds of electronic music and is just as bad for you.

If you need to see/hear this brand of Trance up close, just go to the Guvernment on a Saturday night. But make sure you tell you next of kin where you are going, 'cause much like mountain climbing it can be fatally dangerous....especially when a geled out sweaty, g'd muscle with a soother in his mouth tells you that this is the best DJ he's ever seen as his eyes roll into the back of his head.

Edited by Guest