Jambands.ca

Rocky Balboa

Booche

Velvet and I just saw it and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. When I first heard about this it had "bad idea" written all over the place but that little flick was really entertaining. Stalone certainly didnt try to reinvent the wheel here but its, at the very least, a renter for those of you who like the series.

I'll spare details but suffice to say that Rocky has a couple of his inspiring rants, Paulie delivers a couple of his classic lines and when the trumpets roar in during the training scene, you definitely feel good while hoping for the best.

So, who's up for running those steps in Philly?

photo_17.jpg

How prevalent was Stallone's new Jesus messaging in the flick? Just wondering:

"We need the God-fearing script, the script that really deals with compassion and deals with the word of Jesus and God, and believe me, people will rally behind it because we need it," Stallone said in a late November conference call to Christian leaders. "It's like, you watch some of the films, they only save these kinds of films for Christmas."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/12/20/MNGHCN2QNR1.DTL

http://www.citizenlink.org/clcommentary/A000003061.cfm

we watched the Sly biography on the Biography channel a couple of weeks ago. It was 2 hours and dammit, it was great! I didn't realize how cool and close Sly and his BROTHER Frank are. They have a great story together. Sly's own climb to the top is a great story, but his brother Frank was there with him along the way, in the sidelines.

Anyway, if you get a chance, don't miss the 2 hour documentary.

I'll be seeing the new Rocky. I obviously could wait for DVD, but who knows? Possible theatre trip.

there wasn't even a fight in the movie. just a montage where a fight should have been.

The fights are the weakest parts of the good Rocky movies. I like that Sly cast a truly great fighter as his main opponent, ex-light heavyweight champ Antonio Tarver (as Mason Dixon). If you know boxing, then you know that Tarver kicked the shit out of Mr. Overrated Roy Jones Jr. twice. He lost one of his belts last year to Bernard Hopkins.

As far as Rocky films go, this one isn't bad. My only beef would be that we waited and waited and waited and waited for the fight scene and weren't even treated to a real fight scene! That damn montage bothered me.

I was pleased with the outcome of the fight and the way it went down though. Good story with an appropriate ending.

But what was with the dog? Why bother?

Guest Low Roller

The movie would have been better if it was a action horror.

It should go something like this:

A retired Rocky Balboa is living a decent retired life, after falling on hard times in Rocky V. He fell into a bit of money after marketing a new line of batteries: Balboa Batteries.

But Rocky's life takes a turn for the worst when he finds out that Paulie has cancer. Rocky relives his favorite moments with Paulie in a touching scene.

Suddenly Apollo Creed bursts through the front door of the house, and with inhuman strength lunges at Rocky, killing his son along the way. Rocky barely escapes from Apollo and rushes away in his car, leaving Paulie seemingly for dead.

Rocky, puzzled how Apollo can be alive runs into a strange old woman at a gyspy fair, who explains to him that Apollo Creed rose from the grave summoned by dark voodoo powers posessed by a cancer-stricken Paulie, who secretly hid them from Rocky this entire time and that Rocky estranged wife Adrian was kidnapped by Paulie!

Rocky would enlist the help of Ivan Drago (now a retired Soviet army general living in seclusion in Kahzakstan), and Clubber Lang (living a decrepid life in the slums of Rio de Janeiro), who travel to Bratislava, where the seat of Paulie's dark power lies, and try to save Adrian from Paulie. But it's a trap! Paulie really wants Rocky's "fighting spirit" for his new clone body.

By the end Rocky, Ivan, and Clubber decide to form a team to protect the world from the cybernetic vampire underworld. They would dub themselves Team Punchout for tax purposes.