Jambands.ca

'Green' Walmart

Biggest Fan

I do not know much about it but I have read the Walmart is planning on going green. I for the most part am willing to spend a few dollars more and shop somewhere else. This will not change that fact but now when I am there, I do not think I will hate it half as much. I was curious to see others opinions on this corporate move.

I fail to see how a company that big and centralized with stores as big as Wal-Mart's could ever come even close to being "green."

Wal-Mart is vicious and unethical and makes me angry on a fundamental level, more so than any other corporate entity. I have friends who won't mention the store around me, because they know how fired up I get.

For awhile now I'd really stopped even allowing myself to give a shit...I mean its really tiring giving a shit...but dammit...the polar bears are really getting to me.

Fuck wallmart, fuck big oil and fuck the fucking greed masters.

What about the poor polar bears man...

edit to add....scuse me one beer gets me these daze and watching polar bears starve sucks.

Edited by Guest

There’s a problem with corporations like Wal-Mart proclaiming they’re going green because what they’re really doing is changing the perception of green or organic, etc., and making the general public believe they’re on the right track. Organic certification is a joke in the U.S. and I really don’t think it’s that great in Canada either.

Picture a ranch with 1000’s of cattle, crammed into very unhealthy living conditions, where they eat “green†none “enriched†animal feed, no antibiotics, etc. What happens is the mass-market “green†cattle ranches produce unhealthy diseased ridden cattle which they market to their benefit.

Another problem is buying organic fruits and veggies at the grocery store. Around Hamilton all these stores are boasting organic this and organic that and I look at where the product is from and it’s usually shipped from somewhere overseas. Completely defeating the purpose in my opinion.

So much for sustainable development.

Edited by Guest

There’s a problem with corporations like Wal-Mart proclaiming they’re going green because what they’re really doing is changing the perception of green or organic, etc., and making the general public believe they’re on the right track. Organic certification is a joke in the U.S. and I really don’t think it’s that great in Canada either.

Picture a ranch with 1000’s of cattle, crammed into very unhealthy living conditions, where they eat “green†none “enriched†animal feed, no antibiotics, etc. What happens is the mass-market “green†cattle ranches produce unhealthy diseased ridden cattle which they market to their benefit.

Another problem is buying organic fruits and veggies at the grocery store. Around Hamilton all these stores are boasting organic this and organic that and I look at where the product is from and it’s usually shipped from somewhere overseas. Completely defeating the purpose in my opinion.

So much for sustainable development.

tottally agreed.

hmmm...I don't really put much stock into what larger companies do. I think that most of their major concerns lay on the wrong side of the tracks. I instead focus on the smaller suppliers for organic produce that is local. I put all my energy and focus into the smaller companies that have it 'right' rather than into larger one's that definitely don't.

I've heard it said that even bad publicity is still good...I think it's true for where you put your energy and mindset as well.

sorry, a little hammered...

greenwashing, nothing more.

sure, they may be acting locally by installing a few pretty solar panels or replacing inefficent trucks, but they continue to screw things up globally. walmart's strategically forced, lowest, third-world labour/supplier costs doesnt come close to being green in China. an astonishing 10% of all of China's exports are to this one retailer. and 80% of walmart's products are manufactured in China.

a new truck in Montana doesnt make up for the irreversably polluted Songhua river in Harbin city.