Jambands.ca

Michael Brecker dead at 57

bradm

I did a show with Randy Brecker this summer (as a part of the Chet Baker Jazz Festival) and he spoke about the all the treatments his brother Michael was going through, stem cell & chemotherapy etc.. There was no bone marrow transplant available to Michael, so there was a lot of special experimental procedures that he went through.

I caught Michael at Humber College where we played with so much conviction, it litterally blew me away. He was experimenting with lots of large ensemble stuff at the time and was backed by at least 20 musicians, a sting section and massive horn section played melodies that were pitted against eachother, with him soloing against these two parts... it was really unbelievable!!

My sister just won her battle with Leukemia and it is a very terrible diesease and the treatment is very painful.

RIP Michael Brecker.

Saw Brecker play here in Seoul a few years back with Herbie Hancock, Brian Blade, Roy Hargrove and Michael Patitucci. Great stuff.

For a couple of great Michael Brecker albums, check out:Tales From the Hudson (with Pat Metheny, McCoy Tyner, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette) and Two Blocks From the Edge.