Jambands.ca

Static Cling

AD

get a humidifier and run it all the time.

leave a large pot of water simmering on the stove.

humidity is the enemy of static. i worked in electronics manufacturing for several years, and the air in the plant was always kept very humid specifically to keep static down.

that static spray works, but it's not something you would want to be breathing in all the time.

note of caution - do not go overboard on the humidifying. Static be damned, too much humidity will cause black mold formation on window woodwork and drywall edges. This is why bathroom fans are mandatory in construction. If you can see water condensing into drops on your windows it's too much humidity. Mold only requires a humidity level of 40% to cause problems.

And really AD no one notices but you when your slip sticks to your pantyhose. :P

and how difficult is it to retro-fit a fan, TG? I figure 'you-da-man' after gutting your whole house!

I like exceedingly hot jacuzzi baths, and have noted that every month or so I have to take a brush to the bumpy-pimply ceiling plaster (what's that called, anyway) to scrub off the mold I've generated. This makes me feel like a vengeful god :P and actually I'd be happier to skip the whole creation-destruction process.

If you think you might have mold, you actually might not: it could be dirt (that sticks to the moist areas). The way to check is to take a q-tip dipped in bleach, and touch the area. If it changes colour, it's mold (as the bleach kills the mold, which causes the colour change). If it doesn't, it's just dirt. (I saw Jon Eakes do this test and explain it all on an episode of Holmes On Homes.)

Aloha,

Brad

i just had a bathroom reno and they didn't mention the need for a fan in there. i would have really liked one too!

my mom just had a bathroom reno done too and they said a fan wasn't necessary. curious, she priced it and it was going to be over $1000 just for that. she declined. it was explained, they have to vent all the way up and thru the roof, not just into the attic, and that ups the cost significantly.

as far as the static goes. i'd suggest you live with it, keep the lights low, and get a couple of fuzzy cats to enjoy the hilarity. ;)