Jambands.ca

Let's Hear It For Sloan!

Jaimoe

actually i have a lot of old halifax / moncton stuff. let me know if there's anything you want and i can see if i have it. compilations, albums, rarities.. i have a bunch.

although now that i say that i'll probably have nothing of what you're looking for.

I was a HUGE Sloan fan back in High School. Their live show always impressed, especially seeing them change instruments, lead vocal parts, etc...

I was actually at the taping for the video for The Lines You Amend, which was shot at York Univerisity in the same lecture hall I took Biology in.

Scratching post. wonder what happened to them.

they released a couple crappy albums on squirtgun and folded. i might still have 'Flamethrower' kicking around. She was hot, the singer chick. I loved watching her. She dated Mike from The New Grand who is now the bass player in Paso Mino...

And as if you liked them more than the Super Friendz.

II was actually at the taping for the video for The Lines You Amend, which was shot at York Univerisity in the same lecture hall I took Biology in.

haha i got rejected for that, they already had too many people when i showed up. my family was just driving by and i saw chris on the street so i got out to see what was happening. they had no use for me. }:(

I caught Sloan in Halifax as they were touring for their 2 album.. it was at the Birdland circa 96-97. I've seen them a number of times over the years. I met them a couple of times, and got to know Jay Ferguson over an afternoon in 2003; taking him and Andrew to lunch & laundry in Antigonish. I couldn't get over how old these guys were.. almost eveyone was graying!

I haven't listened to many of their recent albums, I'm sure it full of good stuff, right now I'm just more interested in other music... I really liked "The Lines you Amend"

Did anyone hit the last Toronto show, the "Kool Haus" anniversary show? It was great except for the fact Sloan should stop letting Andrew Scott get out from behind the set. AD, I know you will strongly disagree with me, and I respect that opinion, but holy crap it's like two different bands up there and guess which one sucks the bag? The one where they let the drummer come up and get his 80's crap rock ya-ya's off. His songs are weak weak weak compared to the rest of Sloans material. His drumming, however, is amazing in the context. Very unique and interesting style and he would be impossible to replace on the skins.

Chris Murphey is by far, the best songwriter of the bunch, though the rest (minues Andrew) are very good as well.

I have a theory about Sloan: back whenever the band went through their "breakup" , Andrew Scott demanded that if he were to stay with the band, they would have to allow him the chance to play a few tunes on guitar. I realize that Sloan has long fostered the instrument swith up hour, but to do it live and professionally is lame. As evidence, I site the last Sloan show I saw where Andrew did at least 6 or 7 tunes and bored the shit out of the audience.

Yeah, well, I strongly disagree... Chris can write all the hits, but he writes a lot of misses. Andrew writes one or two per album, and I don't think I hear even a faint twinge of "80's crap rock ya-yas."

A few of his songs:

People of the Sky

400 Metres

500 Up

Sinking Ships

In The Movies

Helen

Before I Do

A Side Wins

On The Horizon

Sensory Deprivation

I Can't Sleep

The N.S.

The Great Wall

Never Seeing The Ground For The Sky

"80's crap rock ya-yas?" Ya, right.

I really doubt you saw a show where Andrew did "6 or 7" songs. Chris' ego wouldn't allow that. I've seen a lot of Sloan shows and Andrew has never played more than 3 a night on guitar in my memory.

And as far as how they're still together, here's a quote from a recent interview:

ihm: After 15 years together, it’s remarkable that the band is still together and functioning without any lineup changes. How has the band achieved this?

AS: Splitting the money four ways.

ihm: Is it just that simple?

AS: Yup. (laughs) Unfortunately, yes.

Anyways, you were right, I disagree. At least there's something for everyone to like in Sloan. I celebrate their entire catalog.

AD

i sat with the sloan people on a flight once. i was drunk. chris murphy let me wear his big headphones because i couldn't find mine and he was getting annoyed that i kept rummaging through my bag. i also helped him with his crossword. that is an E! true hollywood story.

as for shows... saw them once with superfriends(z?) in london - 10 years ago probably? yowza. the venue was a really crappy warehousey place so i think that took away from it... plus i was underage and not allowed in the boozy area. booo! the backbacon was there.

ok chill bra.

And I was at the gig, and yes, I'm not shitting you, Andrew got out from behind the kit and played 2 songs. Then went back to drums. Then again, several songs later, came back out from behind the kit and proceeded to play at least 4 or more songs on guitar, in a row, and they all sucked the bag. I actually did start counting cause I was hoping it would stop, but they just kept letting him play. Chris is a decent drummer, and Jay can play bass fine, but what maked the Sloan "sound" or what makes them unique, I think, is their traditional line up. It truly has the feel and sound of a completely different band, live, when they switch up instruments.

They did break up once albeit very briefly. In an interview with Exclaim from a few years ago (I'm not going to dig up right now), Jay is asked what his favorite and least favorite moments have been with the band. His reply was least fav: when Sloan broke up or was on the verge of breaking up, and fav: when Slaon got back together or didn't break up.

80's crap I wish I was Joe Strummer and a guitar player Andrew Scott shit-rock.

And just for you, I will count very diligently how many songs he will unfortunately play tonight.

as for shows... saw them once with superfriends(z?) in london - 10 years ago probably? yowza. the venue was a really crappy warehousey place so i think that took away from it... plus i was underage and not allowed in the boozy area. booo! the backbacon was there.

Western Fairgrounds? I was at the show. WooHoo!

ok chill bra.

Haha, I was chilled, just rebutting your point 'bra.'

They did break up once albeit very briefly. In an interview with Exclaim from a few years ago (I'm not going to dig up right now), Jay is asked what his favorite and least favorite moments have been with the band. His reply was least fav: when Sloan broke up or was on the verge of breaking up, and fav: when Slaon got back together or didn't break up.

I'm not debating that they briefly broke up; that's common knowledge isn't it?

80's crap I wish I was Joe Strummer and a guitar player Andrew Scott shit-rock.

Wanna try that sentence again? I don't know what you mean by whatever it is you're saying.

And just for you, I will count very diligently how many songs he will unfortunately play tonight.

Thank you! I look forward to your totally unbiased and objective review of his songs and his playing :)

So, Sloan show in the snow was lots of fun last night. Andrew got out from behind the kit about mid way through the show. Played 2 songs that had the crowd yawning and wondering that the hell had just happened. The third song was a short punk tune sung by Patrick, and being that it was actually not bad, had me thinking it may have been penned by him but played with the Andrew-on-guitar line up. The next song was a mid-tempo snoozer and as usual, sung poorly and with little presence by Andrew. As Sloan returned to their "traditional" line up and kicked off one of many recognizable gems, the crowd awoke from the mid-set slumber.

All in all, a good Sloan show, especially considering they played approx. an hour and twenty minutes. (TimmyB I'm sure can give a correct time on that) I found they mixed the set list up just enough to keep the crowd with them (except during the Andrew Scott Experience) by playing many of the hits and enough of the new material to keep it interesting. As with the last show I saw, they have added a keys player to the line up. Though it almost seems as though he plays more tamborine than keys (not a bad thing anyway) the overall sound of the band seems generally improved with keys. The snow and cold were manageable, and the crowd thinned out a bit towards the end so it was easy to move up and get as close to the stage as you wanted.

Pretty close deranger, my watch said the gig was 1 hour and 19 minutes.

Tim

Here's the setlist:

SLOAN

TORONTO'S WINTER CITY FESTIVAL

NATHAN PHILLIPS SQUARE

SATURDAY JANUARY 27, 2007

Start time 8:06pm

1. Flying High Again (Chris> Andrew> Jay> Pat)

2. Who Taught You To Live Like That? (Jay)

3. Someone I Can Be True With (Chris)

4. Ill Placed Trust (Pat)

5. The Other Man (Chris)

6. The Lines You Amend (Jay>Chris)

7. Fading Into Obscurity (Chris)

8. Golden Eyes (Andrew)

9. Love Is All Around (Andrew)

10. Living with the Masses (Andrew)

11. HFXNSHC (Pat)

12. Something's Wrong (Andrew)

13. I've Gotta Try (Andrew)

14. All Used Up (Pat)

15. C'mon C'mon (We're Gonna Get it Started) (Jay)

16. Everything You've Done Wrong (Pat)

17. The Rest of My Live (Chris)

18. Losing California (Pat)

19. Coax Me (Chris)

20. The Good in Everyone (Pat)

21. Penpals (Chris)

22. Money City Maniacs (Pat>Chris)

Encore 23. Chester the Molester (Chris)

24. If It Feels Good Do It (Pat>Chris)

End time 9:25pm (Total time 1 hour and 19 minutes)

Edited by Guest