Jambands.ca

Let's Hear It For Sloan!

Jaimoe

Having had my ass handed to me by The Hold Steady over the last few days got me thinking about another equally great power-pop band: Sloan. They have never gotten the run they deserve through album sales south and even north of the border (although they are more famous than The Hip are in the States). I think they are Canada's best power-pop band that consistantly put out excellent albums (and perfect videos), including their fantastic acclaimed new one Never Hear The End Of It.

acclaimed?

by SHANE SINNOTT (MOntreal Mirror)

Tonight, Jan. 25, former indie stalwarts Sloan play la Sala Rossa, at the tail end of a tour to promote the U.S. release of their album Never Hear the End of It. This album—seemingly produced in a crap factory, as all 30 songs are misses—will make many a Sloan fan over a certain age pine for the old days, for a time before we had to contemplate that this band has now made more bad albums than good ones.

There are a few not-so-hot songs on the new disc, but I love how T Rex drips out of the single. Also nice to hear many new Andrew songs. I think he's the best writer out of the 4, but you need all 4 of them to make it work.

Hope they come back to Ottawa soon, I've been unable to see them up here the past 4 times they've come through. Funny enough, last time I saw them was in California.

I haven't heard the new album so I won't comment on it but every personal review I've been given is a big thumbs down. I find it hard to believe that Sloan would put out a bad record though. They DEFINITELY don't get the recognition they deserve in the USA or even in this country for that matter.

What's wrong with my topics?

I used to like Sloan. I even saw them a couple of times, but I haven't enjoyed anything I've heard from them in years. Navy Blues was the last album I bought and it was unoriginal and boring, what I've heard since then is worse.

Albums like Twice Removed and One Chord to Another were awesome though. I just don't hold out much hope that I'll like this one.

Having had my ass handed to me by The Hold Steady over the last few days got me thinking about another equally great power-pop band: Sloan. They have never gotten the run they deserve through album sales south and even north of the border (although they are more famous than The Hip are in the States). I think they are Canada's best power-pop band that consistantly put out excellent albums (and perfect videos), including their fantastic acclaimed new one Never Hear The End Of It.

Sloan is a great band! Fabulous songs, catchy hooks, nice harmonies. What else could you ask for? They've never disappointed me in a live setting, either.

I haven't heard the new album yet, but I hope to have the opportunity to pick it up some time. Of course, I don't expect to find it in my local Korean CD store...

Navy Blues was the last album I bought and it was unoriginal and boring, what I've heard since then is worse.

No matter what you think of that album, Money City Maniacs is one of the best power-pop songs a Canadian band has produced in the last 15 years or more is matched by the prefectly produced video.

I used to like Sloan. I even saw them a couple of times, but I haven't enjoyed anything I've heard from them in years. Navy Blues was the last album I bought and it was unoriginal and boring, what I've heard since then is worse.

Albums like Twice Removed and One Chord to Another were awesome though. I just don't hold out much hope that I'll like this one.

I don't think that makes this topic out of date. Sorry. I thought Action Pact was a good album as well as Between The Bridges.

This just happened to me at work and it's kinda freaky. I work for the Retro music video channel and I noticed that tonight's playlist was running 3 or 4 minutes light. So I decided to copy the last video of the day (5:55 am) and paste it into the playlist to air in the next few hours for time. I scolled down and low and behold, the last video of the day is Money City Maniacs.

I used to like Sloan. I even saw them a couple of times' date=' but I haven't enjoyed anything I've heard from them in years. Navy Blues was the last album I bought and it was unoriginal and boring, what I've heard since then is worse.

Albums like Twice Removed and One Chord to Another were awesome though. I just don't hold out much hope that I'll like this one.[/quote']

I don't think that makes this topic out of date. Sorry. I thought Action Pact was a good album as well as Between The Bridges.

And I have no beef whatsoever with Navy Blues. Good call on Between The Bridges, NR - it took me a while to get into that album for some reason, but when I finally "got it" I really liked it a lot.

Sloan will be performing a FREE gig at Winter City 2007 at Nathan Phillips Square this Saturday January 27, 2007 at 7pm.

I hope to see some of you there.

I absolutely love their latest effort 'Never Hear the End of It,' and I'm looking forward to hearing songs like "Who Taught You To Live Like That," "Fading Into Obscurity," "I Understand," "Ill Placed Trust" and "Last Time in Love" live.

Tim

Edited by Guest

Navy Blues was the last album I bought and it was unoriginal and boring, what I've heard since then is worse.

Sinking Ships is one of the best songs they (Andrew) have. It's their 'Day in the Life'

On the Horizon is goood. I like Andrew's songs =)

I'd love to see that show Saturday. But I'll be in Ottawa.

I saw Sloan with Jale opening in Grade 9 and I think that was my first "I'm cool" concert. Like blane though after OCTA I stopped paying attention for a while.

I still like them but don't put on the albums much.

Do you know who I do miss though? The Superfriendz.

Do you know who I do miss though? The Superfriendz.

Mock Up Scale Down is the best Canadian pop album, period. The other stuff, decent, but they nailed it with the debut. I was at the record release party for that as well, cruising around on an overloaded boat in Halifax harbour, Chris Murphy on drums. I watched shoulder to shoulder with Joel Plaskett and Rob Benvie, Colin Mackenzie or some other 'honcho' guy from murderrecords was right behind me gushing about the Superfriendz, I had to shush him to hear the music.

Their reunion tour a couple years ago was the biggest disappointment that I can remember lately. 1:15 of poorly played Superfriendz songs, for $15 or $25. Although they played the intro to Turn It On (Genesis) which was hilarious.

Looks like Charles Austin is doing the best out of all of them now, with all his work with Buck 65 and Neusiland. Although that Guy Terrifico movie was pretty cool too. I hated Flashing Lights

AD